Have we found our identity with the four-guard attack?

Sooner23

Reaction score
It's probably not what Capel, or any of us, dreamed of during the offseason but I think it puts our best players on the floor.

I guess if OSU can make it to the dance last year with a similar attack, there's no reason we don't have a chance to do the same this year. If Tony can board like that night in and night out, we'll have a fighting chance.

I'm not by any means penciling us in for a tourney berth at this point, because we've got a lot of work to do, but at least now that we have an identity we can really start to work on building on it from now until conference play starts.

Re: We've found our identity with the four-guard attack

4 guard attack or not, we've got to be able to put two posts on the floor at the same time. Allen, Fitz, and Wright have got to step up. Tiny can't do it alone.

we are going to be in trouble with that lineup when our 4 isn't grabbing 16 boards like he did tonight. that kind of production won't always be there even when the effort is. that's what worries me.

we are going to be in trouble with that lineup when our 4 isn't grabbing 16 boards like he did tonight. that kind of production won't always be there even when the effort is. that's what worries me.

We are in trouble anyway with other issues. Tony doesn't have to grag 16 boards. Rebounding is not one man's responsibility, it is a team responsibility. So if Tony, Cade, Gallon, and Warren can increase their totals, it is good news for OU. I'm more concerned about interior defense.

Tony played a hell of game. That might have been his best game at OU. We need that kind of effort from our upper classmen every night.

Tony played a hell of game. That might have been his best game at OU. We need that kind of effort from our upper classmen every night.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Tony has completely changed his body. He has added alot of muscle to his frame. He now looks like an NBA player instead of the barely bigger than Terrell Harris frame he's had the last 3 years. As a result, we have seen him not get flung around like he has been the last three years.

It is probably our best lineup, but we have depth problems at guard if we try to do that all game too. If you start TMG, WW, Davis, and Crocker.....that leaves Pledger as the lone guard coming off the bench. I guess when the guards get in foul trouble or get tired, we ditch the 4 guard and go to a more conventional lineup.

I like what I saw from the 4 guard line-up, but I would feel better about our post-season chances if we can make the 3 guards w/Tiny and Fitz inside a staple. I thought we looked our best to that point when we had that line-up against NSU. If we can get to where we are good and consistent with both line-ups, we can do some damage. Overall, outside of the first 15 minutes offensively, I felt this was our most complete game on both ends of the court.

I don't know about the four guard offense but I suspect we will go to it at least some of the time.

But we need to develop someone big who can play the 4.

I think Wright is a backup to Tiny but not a regular 4.

I think Fitz is the best possibility. He has had a couple of nice games and I like the way he moves and positions himself. Not sure why he is not playing more now but it is not suprising since he is a freshman. He needs to come on for the team to be able to go to two effective bigs.

I think I did see the beginning of developing an identity.

Cade as a shut down defender against 2's and 3's.

Crocker as a solid rebounder and consistent offensive contributor.

Willie as a guy who can take over the game late in the contest.

Even though he was cold last night Pledger is the ideal firepower off the bench. I like his overall game too. He had a couple of nice assists and he seems to rebound and play defense well.

Need more:

Tiny has to play more consistently. He is just a man among boys at times but not consistently. Sometimes those arms are well above the crowd on rebounds. Other times he doesn't get off the floor. He holds a nice position and doesn't foul a lot on defense but he must force his opponent further away from the hoop. He allows them to get the ball too close. He did a nice job helping Cade on Clarke last night.

Willie has to play more within himself and develop something other than taking it all the way to the hoop every time. They just gang up on him. He needs to hit his outside stuff and also pull up for 10-15' jumpers when the path to the basket is not clear. And he should be getting more defensive rebounds. How well he rebounds may dictate how much we can go with 4 guards.

TMG just needs to cut down his turnovers and play agressive like he did last night. And continue to improve his D. He not only hit a career high last night but IMHO he had his best all-around game by far.

A much improved performance. Slow start and a lot of early bashing on this board but holding any major conference team to 47 points is good. And improved rebounding although mostly from Crocker. Willie needs to get more rebounds.

Capel shys away from playing Fitzgerald against the better competition so far. If this holds up, there are three games against below average level where he should get a decent amount of playing time before conference play starts.

Did Capel run a 4 guard team at VCU?

I think it is a good idea, either has a change or pace or to create matchup problems. If Fitz or Allen are slow to develop, I am fine with having to run it alot, like another poster said, put the best players on the floor.

I think Wright is a lost cause.

It can work, but there are some teams we will have trouble rebounding and playing interior defense against with this lineup.

Ultimately - imo - with four guards you can negate some post defense with great on-ball pressue, denying entry passes, fronting big guys, etc... It's not so much our post defense I worry about but our perimeter defense. TMG and WWIII wil have to be more aggressive - much like TMG was last night. And, most 4-guard teams press you, or at least run half court traps. We have done this some, but it doesn't seem to be a Capel staple.

Rebounding is a tougher issue. It can be done, but as said before it would need to be a team effort. Cade, WWIII and Tony would need to carry more of the load.

It is probably our best lineup, but we have depth problems at guard if we try to do that all game too. If you start TMG, WW, Davis, and Crocker.....that leaves Pledger as the lone guard coming off the bench. I guess when the guards get in foul trouble or get tired, we ditch the 4 guard and go to a more conventional lineup.

Perhaps Capel can get Ray to play college ball rather than street ball. We heard all summer he was giving WW a run for his money. To me that means he can certainly play street ball and just needs to get his head right for college ball.

I really want Ray to have some success. He was supposed to be the Pledger of last years class. I think he has the talent and just needs to get his head into college basketball.

perhaps capel can get ray to play college ball rather than street ball. We heard all summer he was giving ww a run for his money. To me that means he can certainly play street ball and just needs to get his head right for college ball.

I really want ray to have some success. He was supposed to be the pledger of last years class. I think he has the talent and just needs to get his head into college basketball.

amen!

Is a 6'6 SF a "guard?"

Tony certainly played more like a forward against Arkansas. He did step out and hit 3's but his performance on the glass was masterful and amazing. I have never seen him play that hard and aggressive before. If he could only work on posting up on offense it might be a good idea to play him closer to the basket at times.

TMG finally started playing within himself and cut down on the turnovers. You can tell he has been working hard with the other guys and they are showing signs of getting in sync. If this team can make it around that corner soon this could turn out to be another great season for the Sooners.

I agree about Ray. He really needs to mature more because there is a role for him to play on this team. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I agree about Ray. He really needs to mature more because there is a role for him to play on this team. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I dont see ray's role. I wish I did. Ray can't fill any of our needs which is why he hasn't played. Their is a reason throughout all the defensive lapses we haven't saw ray leave the bench. Offensively, what he can do, we have Cade, Tony, and Pledger doing at a higher level. He is too weak to play in a four guard lineup.

Back