High School Recruiting in OK?

I think it's Grant that had the two 2012 guys that are really good guards who played for AF. Generally, guy that are good at those schools transfer out. Amric Fields is the guy from PCW that i saw play at the OU camp. He's a good sized kid and looks the part of a D1 athlete, but he's a little raw skillwise. Oren Faulk is a kid that was also at the OU camp and I had the pleasure of talking with his colorful father who was on the sidelines towel waving. He's a kid that did a good job in that camp. He was physical and had pretty good footwork. Rivals has him listed at 6'7 220. his father said he was 6'9. He was actually about 6'6 or 6'6 1/2 and about 270. Not really a fat kid but had alot of bulk. Proabably a mid major prospect despite his father swearing Coach Capel offered him a scholarship. LOL!!

There's also a super scorer from Class B stratford named Dalen Qualls. He had 70 in a scrimmage this past weekend. The question for him is will he be another guy like the kid for Barnsdall in 94 or the kid from Pawnee in 94 or will he be a Clarke or Page. The kid you are talking about from East Central, I have no idea about but have read taht he is pretty good. I love Chilton from BTW. He's a all guts player and has the bloodline being Lee Mayberry's nephew.

Yeah, those are the kids from PC West. Haven't seen them play but heard really good things. My old HS coach is the coach at PC West currently so I'm going to get out and see them play this year.

Douglass also has some really nice players. They have one who got some recognition this summer with AF. His first name is Dorrian Williams I think. I know he is probably a low level D-1 guy and Devonte Smith is another nice player as well. They also have a big kid named Marquise that could get some low D-1 looks. I mentor quite a few kids at Douglass so I'll be at quite a few games this year.

PC West has 2 kids that are probably lower level D-1 kids. They both played for Athlete's First this summer.

Capitol Hill and Grant will probably send more kids to prison than to play college ball. Those are the 2 worst schools in the city currently. Gangster.

Ummm..maybe you should rephrase that to say Grant and Douglas are the 2 worst schools in the city. Teachers have gone to Douglas only to beg for their jobs back at Capitol Hill. Hill was also getting a lot of students "transferring" in from Douglas once they had been expelled. They had to implement a system to verify students lived in the school district to stop it. As for CHHS bball players, you won't find them in jail, because if you did they wouldn't be on the bball team. Tuley doesn't put up with that crap and is a coach who really does believe in student athletes. Now, will some become ineligible? Sure, but quite a few high schools have that problem.

While we are talking future potential recruits; I saw a couple of kids that looked to be playing for McGinnis on I'm guessing a team of 13/14 year olds team that were pretty good. One was about 6'3" and the other about 6'4" [I was far away so hard to tell, pobably shorter than that by about an inch but they looked like they both had the potential to grow another 5" to 6" inches]. Both kids were good smooth athletes with nice quick ups, couldn't stick around for the game because of a prior engagement, had a hunch those two were going to dominate though [other teams tallest guy was "maybe" 6 ft. and he hadn't really grown into it yet]. Anyone know who those kids are?

Not to be overly contrarian, but I grew up in San Diego and chose to come to Oklahoma over staying there. Also, I just had a job offer in Denver and turned it down. Those are great places to live (even better to visit) but I love it here. If it weren't for the political redness and the general lack of cultural diversity, I wouldn't have any complaints about Oklahoma. I guess the weather could bother some people, but I like it. Anyway, just sayin...

Ummm..maybe you should rephrase that to say Grant and Douglas are the 2 worst schools in the city. Teachers have gone to Douglas only to beg for their jobs back at Capitol Hill. Hill was also getting a lot of students "transferring" in from Douglas once they had been expelled. They had to implement a system to verify students lived in the school district to stop it. As for CHHS bball players, you won't find them in jail, because if you did they wouldn't be on the bball team. Tuley doesn't put up with that crap and is a coach who really does believe in student athletes. Now, will some become ineligible? Sure, but quite a few high schools have that problem.

Well, I guess it depends on what you look at. I totally agree with Tuley because he does a great job. I was saying more in terms of the kids. There have also been estimates of illiteracy in Grant and Capitol Hill that are astronomically high, mostly due to immigrants/language barrier.

Douglass is right up there but if you go in terms of violence and gangs CH and Grant are the worst and the guys in the gang unit and others would agree (I work with a police based mentoring program). We had a kid in Capitol Hill who has to stay in the same room all day because it's too dangerous (known gang member). All of our black kids in our program are scared of the Mexican kids because they can tell the difference.

But don't kid yourself, the kids at Douglass will push your hairline back. :)

Not to be overly contrarian, but I grew up in San Diego and chose to come to Oklahoma over staying there. Also, I just had a job offer in Denver and turned it down. Those are great places to live (even better to visit) but I love it here. If it weren't for the political redness and the general lack of cultural diversity, I wouldn't have any complaints about Oklahoma. I guess the weather could bother some people, but I like it. Anyway, just sayin...

Touche...I just love Denver, but I grew up in the mountains.

Well said, elmo.

I grew up in the Tulsa area and moved to Denver 3 years ago. We like some things about Denver (lots of great restaurants, mainly) but I still think Oklahoma is a better place to live.

Everyone here in Colorado always brags about the mountains, but in my opinion they are overrated. I like summer recreation, and I grew up with nice boats on Lake Tenkiller, Grand Lake, Lake Eufaula, Skiatook Lake, etc... Give me a boat, tubes/skis, etc in Oklahoma over snow recreation in the mountains any day of the freakin' week. The mountains are great to look at, dont get me wrong, I just dont care about playing in the snow or hiking...

Golf is pretty good here in Colorado though, I will give it that. But really, I have just as much fun playing golf in Oklahoma as I do here.

I would never want to go back to where I grew up, so I never fault guys for wanting to leave and go to the school of their choosing. Some guys have reasons for leaving that really isn't up for public scrutiny or discussion. Let them go where they want to go.

I grew up in the Tulsa area and moved to Denver 3 years ago. We like some things about Denver (lots of great restaurants, mainly) but I still think Oklahoma is a better place to live.
And there would be just as many who would prefer Denver. It's up to the individual.

It's just always bothered me when native Oklahomans (note that I am not one) get all riled up when a kid leaves the state. I'm sure other people from other states do it as well. Other than the disappointment that he/she isn't going to play for OU/OSU/TU who really cares what someone decides and why? Granted, I don't care for guys that leave the state that make a big scene about it. (Henrys)

Last edited:
I would never want to go back to where I grew up, so I never fault guys for wanting to leave and go to the school of their choosing. Some guys have reasons for leaving that really isn't up for public scrutiny or discussion. Let them go where they want to go.

And there would be just as many who would prefer Denver. It's up to the individual.

It's just always bothered me when native Oklahomans (note that I am not one) get all riled up when a kid leaves the state. I'm sure other people from other states do it as well. Other than the disappointment that he/she isn't going to play for OU/OSU/TU who really cares what someone decides and why? Granted, I don't care for guys that leave the state that make a big scene about it. (Henrys)

I know it's really frustrating. I saw it in the Washington/Oregon area when I lived there for a while. For a long time guys in that area NEVER stayed to play locally but Romar is changing that at UW, though he still loses some guys.

Here's a sampling from OR/WA that left the state in the last 10 years. They are all Top 100 players (RSCI) with McD's in Bold:

Kevin Love, Kyle Singler, Terrance Williams, Thomas Gardner, Aaron Miles, Avery Bradley, Marvin Williams, Marcus Williams, Damon Stoudamire, Salim Stoudamire, Jason Terry, Michael Dickerson, Mike Dunleavey JR, Jamal Crawford, Chris Rodgers, Stewart Twins, Aaron Brooks (Seattle to Oregon), Luke Ridnour, CJ Giles, Micah Downs, Peyton Siva, Mike Moser

This always happens when a rare, highly ranked athlete comes up the prep ranks in New Mexico...UNM fans get all riled up about keeping kids in state, which I never really understood. It's the one time in your life (and possibly only for kids from lower income families) to get out of their area and experience something new.

I was born in OKC but never really fell in love with Oklahoma, I do love gamedays and the lake in the summer, but I miss all the aspects the Rockies do have. People in Dallas have been complaining all week about how cold it is, it's been around 50 degrees at night. That gets really annoying.

I know it's really frustrating. I saw it in the Washington/Oregon area when I lived there for a while. For a long time guys in that area NEVER stayed to play locally but Romar is changing that at UW, though he still loses some guys.

Here's a sampling from OR/WA that left the state in the last 10 years. They are all Top 100 players (RSCI) with McD's in Bold:

Kevin Love, Kyle Singler, Terrance Williams, Thomas Gardner, Aaron Miles, Avery Bradley, Marvin Williams, Marcus Williams, Damon Stoudamire, Salim Stoudamire, Jason Terry, Michael Dickerson, Mike Dunleavey JR, Jamal Crawford, Chris Rodgers, Stewart Twins, Aaron Brooks (Seattle to Oregon), Luke Ridnour, CJ Giles, Micah Downs, Peyton Siva, Mike Moser

Good point. I think people underestimate the talent in the NW. Same as if Houston or A&M would keep the Houston area talent. With alot of Oklahoma kids they see fame and light at these other institutions, but if you look at it, their decisions work out for them. Azubuike, Giddens, Darnell Jackson, Etan Thomas, Sheldon Williams, and Ryan Humphrey ultimately made good decisons to go elsewhere because they ended up in the NBA.

Good point. I think people underestimate the talent in the NW. Same as if Houston or A&M would keep the Houston area talent. With alot of Oklahoma kids they see fame and light at these other institutions, but if you look at it, their decisions work out for them. Azubuike, Giddens, Darnell Jackson, Etan Thomas, Sheldon Williams, and Ryan Humphrey ultimately made good decisons to go elsewhere because they ended up in the NBA.

Good point. And it's not like OU under Capel is struggling due to not getting Orton or Henry. The guy just signed a Top 10 recruiting class. Sometimes it is better to get out of town kids because they don't have as many distractions and are more focused. See Brady Morningstar.

Good point. And it's not like OU under Capel is struggling due to not getting Orton or Henry. The guy just signed a Top 10 recruiting class. Sometimes it is better to get out of town kids because they don't have as many distractions and are more focused. See Brady Morningstar.

The fact that he even plays at KU is completely beyond me.

The fact that he even plays at KU is completely beyond me.

Yeah, it's one of those things where he was originally going to walk on and then we whiffed on some players so they extended a scholly. He's also a legacy so he's a little harder to let go as well.

Sidetrack for a moment, Grace, the kid that has to stay in a room all day at CH isn't a gang member, but is an ED kid whose mother thinks should be in an institution and not school. They had to sign an agreement that he would be kept in one room all day for him to remain at school.
Back to topic, does anybody think with the whole Jenks football recruiting drama that OSSAA takes a harder look at schools in regards to bball recruiting?

Sidetrack for a moment, Grace, the kid that has to stay in a room all day at CH isn't a gang member, but is an ED kid whose mother thinks should be in an institution and not school. They had to sign an agreement that he would be kept in one room all day for him to remain at school.
Back to topic, does anybody think with the whole Jenks football recruiting drama that OSSAA takes a harder look at schools in regards to bball recruiting?

Wrong, czech. He is a gang member. That's the only reason he is in the program that I work with that is gang prevention. It's funny you think you know more about the situation somehow than I do. LOL.

It is a myth that OU/TU/osu lose out on "alot" of kids to out of state schools.

It happens, but it happens everywhere. The state schools land alot of the good state players.

czech

If they look into basketball recruiting all the TPS schools are in deep Doo Doo. They kill each other. ABD, just ask your friend.

These Tulsa Public Schools have guys that recruit like crazy. One team had 3 new guys at semester from other TPS schools. Another school is having in home visits and taking parents out to dinner.

They just eat each other alive and it sucks for the guys doing it the right way like East Central's coach.

Back