Highschool player to skip his Sr. year to go play in Europe

This was the same school that Terrence Boyd transferred to....

Yeah it seems like he wasn't going to qualify or something shady was going on at that school.

This isn't just a high school player this is a top 10 player in the country, Jeremy Tyler.
This is huge. We had a big discussion when Brandon Jennings did this how it would lead to others. This is even bigger than that because he's leaving after his junior year. Totally smart move. He'll have two years of playing hoops all day against grown men. He'll be light years ahead when he's done.

This isn't just a high school player this is a top 10 player in the country, Jeremy Tyler.
This is huge. We had a big discussion when Brandon Jennings did this how it would lead to others. This is even bigger than that because he's leaving after his junior year. Totally smart move. He'll have two years of playing hoops all day against grown men. He'll be light years ahead when he's done.

We will see if it's a smart move. The situation that forms the background makes it sound like a terrible move. Basically he's trying to get away from his dad and is turning 18 soon. He has a reputation for being extremely immature and doesn't have anywhere near the family support that Brandon Jennings has. This has the potential to end up pretty badly.

This could end up being the Leon Smith of HS kids going to play overseas.

That being said this kid is an athletic freak, reminiscent of Amare, and in the same way he has no clue how to really play the game.

These kids are going to get stuck in Europe.

I think this could happen in some cases, but as grace said this kid is supposedly an athletic freak and the NBA doesn't shy away from those type of players.

We will see if it's a smart move. The situation that forms the background makes it sound like a terrible move. Basically he's trying to get away from his dad and is turning 18 soon. He has a reputation for being extremely immature and doesn't have anywhere near the family support that Brandon Jennings has. This has the potential to end up pretty badly.
This could end up being the Leon Smith of HS kids going to play overseas.

If all that's true sounds like a good move to me. Leon Smith didn't make any money staying here. At least Jeremy Tyler is going to make millions. I'd rather be a millionaire screwup then just a broke screwup.

These kids are going to get stuck in Europe.
As opposed to getting stuck in juco or in college. If they do get stuck they will be millionaires as opposed to broke.
I really don't see how they can get stuck unless they just can't play which would have been exposed in America. They will get 10x the amount of coaching and court time as they would staying in the US.

I think this could happen in some cases, but as grace said this kid is supposedly an athletic freak and the NBA doesn't shy away from those type of players.

Could be true. I remember one thing Jason Kapono said during his draft evaluation. He said if he were Jason Kaponovich from Serbia, he'd be a top 15 pick. I still think College is a better preperation for the pro game than Europe. College kids seem to make more of an impact faster than Euro guys.

I like the move, if he knows he's not going to qualify, why not just go now and take a chance? No point in fighting the clearinghouse or any other entity, go work on your game 24/7 for a couple years.

Now, if he doesn't have the family support (like Jennings has), then yeah, it's going to be difficult. But if can land in a situation where the team is able to take care of him from a maturity standpoint, I think it is very smart on his part.

College kids seem to make more of an impact faster than Euro guys.

I think that's more just because Americans are the best in the world not a reflection of the Europe experience. It's hard for me to fathom that Derrick Rose wouldn't be equal to or probably even better than he is today if he spent last year in Europe as opposed to Memphis. He would have been playing basketball and working out all day long against much better competition. How could he not get better.

good luck trying to get paid the next two years, jeremy.

get upfront money. Lord, I hope he doesn't have one of those street agents.

ESPN: High school star to skip senior year (of high school) and head to Europe.

Reports: Tyler to skip senior year

ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 22, 2009, 10:02 PM ET

* Comment
* / Email
* / Print

Jeremy Tyler, a 6-foot-11 junior, dropped out of his San Diego High School and said he would skip his senior year to play professionally in Europe, The New York Times and Yahoo! Sports reported on Wednesday.

Tyler, 17, will become the first player born in the United States to leave high school early to play professional basketball overseas. He is expected to come back in two years, when he is eligible for the NBA draft.

Tyler had made a verbal committment to play for Louisville. Has has not signed with an agent or professional team. He will probably play in Spain, the Times reported, though teams from other European leagues have shown interest.

"Nowadays people look to college for more off-the-court stuff versus being in the gym and getting better," Tyler told the Times. "If you're really focused on getting better, you go play pro somewhere. Pro guys will get you way better than playing against college guys."

Los Angeles native Brandon Jennings, a point guard, became the first player to graduate from high school, skip college and play pro ball in Europe. He finished his season with Lottomatica Virtus Roma in Italy and is projected as a high pick in June's NBA draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4090570

I agree that playing pro gives you more of an opportunity to work on your game (if you are motivated)...but i'm not in agreement that the competition is better...the College game is very good and there is a lot to be said by playing in the US (rules and style), learning how to be responsible (attending class) and being in a more "team" type of environment...

obviously if you cant pass classes or qualify you have to do what you have to do, but i would question a players ability to learn and improve if he cant do these minor things to get eligible...

I agree that playing pro gives you more of an opportunity to work on your game (if you are motivated)...but i'm not in agreement that the competition is better...the College game is very good and there is a lot to be said by playing in the US (rules and style), learning how to be responsible (attending class) and being in a more "team" type of environment...

obviously if you cant pass classes or qualify you have to do what you have to do, but i would question a players ability to learn and improve if he cant do these minor things to get eligible...

Not to mention every situation isn't the same. Also, he isn't guaranteed to make millions. Just ask all the guys this year playing overseas who didn't get paid by the teams they had contracts with and had to switch leagues. We don't even know what kind of contract he will get.

I just think it's a bad decision as it looks now because he is a really immature kid from all accounts and Europe isn't the place for immature kids with no support systems. Even Brandon Jennings said so himself.

When I was seventeen, I was urinating in elevators and rolling dice in the bathroom. And i was one of the more mature ones. This kid is going to be in Europe with a handler who probably doesn't no the language, and agent proabably taking 20%, and Euro coaches and players who could care less if you were a rivals top 10 player.

When I was seventeen, I was urinating in elevators and rolling dice in the bathroom. And i was one of the more mature ones. This kid is going to be in Europe with a handler who probably doesn't no the language, and agent proabably taking 20%, and Euro coaches and players who could care less if you were a rivals top 10 player.

I should quit my job and be this guy's handler, I'm probably more mature than the one he has now and I'd be making a helluva lot more money than I am now!

I just think it's a bad decision as it looks now because he is a really immature kid from all accounts and Europe isn't the place for immature kids with no support systems. Even Brandon Jennings said so himself.

this is the biggest factor. if jennings didn't have his little brother depending on him, and the incredible support from his mother, the experiment would be a colossal failure. and i would bet that jeremy will not be ready to adapt to that lifestyle where there's only basketball. not to mention how hard he is going to be pushed from demanding coaches and insane changes from game to game. good luck to him.

Back