Highschool player to skip his Sr. year to go play in Europe

the top european leagues unquestionably feature higher level play than college. and spain's acb league is as good as it gets.

lol @ the people talking about him not getting paid. this isn't the ukrainian c league we're talking about.

americans are so uninformed about the rest of the world.

lol @ the people talking about him not getting paid. this isn't the ukrainian c league we're talking about.

it's widely known that many players overseas get paid late, and sometimes if at all. it's one of the main reasons why krstic came back, and carlos delfino and jannero pargo were rumored to.

players in the acb league get paid. we're talking about teams like real madrid and fc barcelona. these are 1st class organizations.

hell, real madrid could buy and sell most nba frachises.

I heard he's a douchebag, had no chance of graduating, and was on the verge of getting expelled from school for continually cursing out teachers.

I heard he's a douchebag, had no chance of graduating, and was on the verge of getting expelled from school for continually cursing out teachers.

Must of made Terrence look like a saint!

the top european leagues unquestionably feature higher level play than college. and spain's acb league is as good as it gets.
americans are so uninformed about the rest of the world.

Exactly. It amazes me how people just run things down to be running them down. How come all these Americans go play in Europe if they aren't getting paid? Is Hollis not getting paid? I'm quite certain he is.

Exactly. It amazes me how people just run things down to be running them down. How come all these Americans go play in Europe if they aren't getting paid? Is Hollis not getting paid? I'm quite certain he is.

Exactly, these aren't communist leagues in Eastern Europe, all the legit levels of basketball on the other side of the pond are paying their players.

Now, are their leagues that might have trouble paying? Probably, but not near the level of where it is reported Tyler would play.

players in the acb league get paid. we're talking about teams like real madrid and fc barcelona. these are 1st class organizations.

hell, real madrid could buy and sell most nba frachises.

Who said we are talking only about Real Madrid and Barcelona? There are plenty of other Euroleague teams (mostly Russian) that screw players over. Also, we have no clue who this kid will sign with or what level of league he has been offered.

Most of the Spanish and Italian teams are definitely first class organizations, Greece and Israel as well. We'll see where he lands at and how he handles it but based on the information out there, it is highly likely that this will be a mess.

I would consider playing pro basketball in Europe over college basketball if I were a big time talent. I would want the pro coaching, money, and experience from playing with pro players as opposed to your average D-1 player.

Why not enter the league in 2 years already a millionaire? Why not get professional coaching and play professional basketball?

I would consider playing pro basketball in Europe over college basketball if I were a big time talent. I would want the pro coaching, money, and experience from playing with pro players as opposed to your average D-1 player.

Why not enter the league in 2 years already a millionaire? Why not get professional coaching and play professional basketball?

I agree, coming from the background I grew up in I don't think it would be a bad choice at all. However, acting as if every kid is ready for a multicultural experience like that isn't realistic.

It's funny that we talk about how college kids aren't ready for the pros yet from a maturity standpoint. Now add to that being in a different country with teammates who speak different languages and a coach who could care less how big of a star you are in the states.

I hope we see more of this - I prefer these "one and done" players to head to Europe instead of play one year at the college level. But then again, I am not a big "pro" guy.

Who said we are talking only about Real Madrid and Barcelona? There are plenty of other Euroleague teams (mostly Russian) that screw players over. Also, we have no clue who this kid will sign with or what level of league he has been offered.
Most of the Spanish and Italian teams are definitely first class organizations, Greece and Israel as well. We'll see where he lands at and how he handles it but based on the information out there, it is highly likely that this will be a mess.

There's plenty of American companies that are a mess right now in this finanicial climate but we all keep going to work.
And why do you say it's highly likely this turns out to be a mess?
Just don't see why all the negativity on these kids going to Europe.
It was said Jennings was making a mistake and he's doing just fine and has said he'd do the same thing all over again and he's learned so much.

Worst case scenario these kids flame out but still made 7 figures. How many high school stars went to college and flamed out with nothing? A bunch.

There's plenty of American companies that are a mess right now in this finanicial climate but we all keep going to work.
And why do you say it's highly likely this turns out to be a mess?
Just don't see why all the negativity on these kids going to Europe.
It was said Jennings was making a mistake and he's doing just fine and has said he'd do the same thing all over again and he's learned so much.

Worst case scenario these kids flame out but still made 7 figures. How many high school stars went to college and flamed out with nothing? A bunch.

Cheno, it's like you aren't reading what i post. The kid's personal life is an absolute mess. That is a recipe for disaster trying to go overseas. I don't see why that's hard for you to see.

Cheno, it's like you aren't reading what i post. The kid's personal life is an absolute mess. That is a recipe for disaster trying to go overseas. I don't see why that's hard for you to see.

I just don't like calling a decision a disaster when I don't know any of the facts. I find it hard to believe anyone here has a good grasp on his personal life and the support system that has been laid out for him in Europe.
If his life is as bad as some have portrayed then it may be the best thing for him. It could save his life. Either way, he's going to have the opportunity to set himself up financially for life with this decision.

Some of them flamed out with a free degree. Not bad.

With that said, best of luck to him. Agree, it may work out really well for him.

I just don't like calling a decision a disaster when I don't know any of the facts. I find it hard to believe anyone here has a good grasp on his personal life and the support system that has been laid out for him in Europe.
If his life is as bad as some have portrayed then it may be the best thing for him. It could save his life. Either way, he's going to have the opportunity to set himself up financially for life with this decision.

Why is it hard to believe that people close to his situation know that he is a mess personally? He is going to play pro basketball there, they don't have a lot of support for the players. They are used to them being professionals, if you need the support you better go to college where they practically hold your hand all the way through.

Back