Honoré joins team >>> SoonerSports.com

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Source: SoonerSports.com

NORMAN, Okla. - Oklahoma men's basketball head coach Jeff Capel announced today that junior forward Barry Honoré has transferred to OU from Southern University. Honoré (pronounced ON-uh-ray) will sit out the 2009-10 season and have two seasons of eligibility remaining as a walk-on.

The 6-7 Honoré started 54 of 61 games during his two years at Southern and averaged 8.8 points and 4.8 rebounds in 25.5 minutes per contest. He was named the Southwestern Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year in 2007-08 when he averaged 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game, and shot .361 from 3-point range (13-for-36). Last season as a sophomore, the Garland, Texas, product averaged 8.8 points and 4.5 rebounds while shooting .413 from long range (19-for-46). He scored in double figures in 13 of the team's 31 contests.

Honoré, who attended South Garland High School, was born in Oklahoma City and has relatives in and close to Norman. He said family and the strength of the OU basketball program were the two reasons he decided to become a Sooner.

"I wanted to be closer to home and closer to my family," said Honoré. "I have a grandmother who's in a nursing home right down the street here in Norman. I also have an aunt and uncle who live in Norman, and another aunt and uncle who live in Noble.

"This is a great program. I've always loved OU since I was a kid. A lot of people from my family attended OU. It's a great school with great tradition in academics and sports. I want to be a part of that."

Honoré said he is a broadcasting major.

Re: Honoree joins team >>> SoonerSports.com

It really surprised me just how big he is up close. He will be a load for our guys to try to handle in practice.

Back