I am now onboard with thebigabd

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
I hope we bring in 3 JUCOs.

1. A big that can score
2. A big that can play the 5 and rebound and defend
3. A back-up PG that can bring some toughness and help spell TMG

I think that those guys will combine with Cam and TJ to really help turn this team around.

Terrence Jones would be a huge bonus, but I still want the three JUCOs regardless of whether or not he signs.

good luck with that.

I'm on board with bringing in character, work ethic, and athleticism, whereever it might be.

Fitz and Wills are my new guys.

JUCOS under Capel haven't had much success. Omar Leary was a career backup.

Juan Patillo was good but grade ended his career.

Allen has not done much

there was the guy that got kicked off last year. Cannon. Maybe Jeff doesn't have any JUCO roots to get good players there. Tubbs and Sampson lived on JUCOs.

After watching this game I think the starting five should be

Fitz
Willis
Crocker
Davis
Gallon

JUCOS under Capel haven't had much success. Omar Leary was a career backup.

Juan Patillo was good but grade ended his career.

Allen has not done much

there was the guy that got kicked off last year. Cannon. Maybe Jeff doesn't have any JUCO roots to get good players there. Tubbs and Sampson lived on JUCOs.

Coach Cline has plenty of JUCO roots. Getting Juan Pattillo here over OSU and Kentucky is a testament of that. I agree that we haven't had much success with JUCOs during the Capel era, but really think this team needs help bad, and JUCOs are the leak fixers of cbb.

Sad thing is that by next year we may not even need JUCOs because a year will teach this team a lot. All these freshmen apparent never played defense in their lives. It's not really their fault but it's become Capel's problem and he's been forced to teach them what they should have learned years ago.

Makes me wonder if all that AAU ball is really good for them?

Makes me wonder if all that AAU ball is really good for them?

Just about everyone play AAU ball. They still defend a lot better than our team does. This is just a team thing. Capel said so in his post game show. And it was really eye opening to me to hear his comments. These guys don't carry themselves right and aren't together in anything. They just happen to occupy the same space when they are together.

I think I would make them do everything together. Eat, sleep, etc. Everything outside of school, try to build some chemistry somehow.

These guys played defense tonight in short spurts, especially when they initially chopped the score from a 21 point deficit to a 14 point deficit. Then they went back to their normal game.

After the break by Tiny they did play fairly solid defense, definitely the best I've seen them play all year. They just once again got down too much and can't put a full game together.

JUCOS under Capel haven't had much success.

Outside of Blake, WW, TMG, and Tiny.....which HS recruits have had success?

Nobody is saying recruit a JUCO over a guy like that. We're saying recruit a JUCO over Ray Willis. Or Cade Davis. Or Tony Neysmith.

If you get the right guys, bringing in older players can help you get better faster. I would be thrilled if Capel signed 3 good junior college players, because he would be adding 3 20-21 year old guys instead of 3 17-18 year old guys.

OU already has "primary" players for next year.... This team needs older secondary players.. A post that can average 8/9 points, 6/7 rebounds, and block some shots... a small forward that can play defense and hit 3's or score a little bit, and a point guard who can come in and play defense, hit some shots, and play 15 minutes per game at point. A second post player would be good. Part of me wishes Capel could have signed JP Olukemi AND Cameron Clark, but I think Olukemi wanted to know he was going to start, which he will at OSU.

I was watching St. Johns play at Georgetown for a little bit last night, and they looked like a pretty solid team on the road against G-Town. I know they signed some juco guys last year, and I know that has helped them get a little better this year. That Hardy kid for them had 14 and the juco post had 10 points and 8 rebounds. OU needs two or three guys like that. They dont need stars, but some good solid players who can play defense, contribute scoring, and make you better right away.

Outside of Blake, WW, TMG, and Tiny.....which HS recruits have had success?

Nobody is saying recruit a JUCO over a guy like that. We're saying recruit a JUCO over Ray Willis. Or Cade Davis. Or Tony Neysmith.

I would consider Cade a success. Sure, he's been up and down, but he's also had some very good games and helped us win a couple this year.

However, Capel's strengths do not seem to include finding diamonds in the rough...

AAU ball isn't the problem with OU right now. It's nobody's fault but the team and coaches.

Dammit, I'm agreeing with Cheno. Do you guys think Juco players don't play AAU ball? Matter of fact they play 6 years of it because Juco ball is an extention of AAU ball. These guys and coaches need to grow up. I think the coaches grew up a little yesterday. The coaches have been the ones who have stressed McD's AAs and getting high school guys over Juco guys. For the most part they are right, but they've perpetuated the problem by telling these guys that if they come to OU, they'll be lotto picks like Blake. So these guys are playing like they're bidding their time til the draft. They better wake up and the coaches better wake up before they have a worse year than their first year.

The coaches have been the ones who have stressed McD's AAs and getting high school guys over Juco guys. For the most part they are right, but they've perpetuated the problem by telling these guys that if they come to OU, they'll be lotto picks like Blake. So these guys are playing like they're bidding their time til the draft.

Going after MCDAA's and telling recruits they will be lotto picks like Blake isn't the problem either. Bill Self, Coach K, Calipari, Roy and on and on tell kids the same thing. I've been a huge Coach Capel supporter. Everyone knows that. But he appears to be in a bit over his head right now with this current group of players. I don't know if it's the players or the coaching staff and I'm not pointing fingers but it's obvious the group isn't mixing well.

Back