I'm glad coach capel is our coach!

Fans of Oklahoma sports should not settle for this crap. Coach Capel seems to be a nice guy and from that stand point I can respect him, true! But he is not the kind of coach that should be coaching a Major University - not yet anyway. He is in over his head and The University of Oklahoma is not the place in my opinion for him to be cutting his teeth. Coach Capel is a good honest young head coach, but he is not want this Program needs. It almost appears as if the players are running the program instead of the coach?

Was he over his head last year? Was he over his head in 07-08, what I consider to be perhaps the best coaching job of his career? One season and the guy needs to be coaching at Rogers State. Sheesh.

Blake Griffen was the reason for last year and the year before. This Program would be alot worse if not Blake.................sheesh! Like I posted, I do not have a problem with Coach Capel the man, only his ability to lead this team.

And who recruited Blake Griffin? I love when coaches get no credit for recruiting. "He only won because of the players." Well how do you get players in the first place?

And who recruited Blake Griffin? I love when coaches get no credit for recruiting. "He only won because of the players." Well how do you get players in the first place?

I don't think it is that people don't want to give him credit. I think people recogonize that OU is not going to have a Blake Griffin very often. Therefore, they want to see Capel succeed without the best player in the country.

I thought I read that he is now Anthony Kim's personal trainer? If I remember correctly, that is a pretty good gig.

WOW really? I thought he went to IU for a bit then left. That is a really good gig.

seniorsooner, I respect you as a poster. I think you bring alot to this forum and we has fans, or at least I am, are grateful to the insight and opinions that you bring to this site. We just do not agree on this topic! Capel may be in over is head - I hope I am wrong for that too!

seniorsooner, I respect you as a poster. I think you bring alot to this forum and we has fans, or at least I am, are grateful to the insight and opinions that you bring to this site. We just do not agree on this topic! Capel may be in over is head - I hope I am wrong for that too!

I can respect that. I'm just saying that he succeeded in 07-08 when Blake Griffin was not really yet Blake Griffin. That team had to scratch and claw all year to get into the dance, and I felt like they were playing their best ball at the end of the year when we beat St. Joe's. Also, in 08-09 it wasn't just Blake Griffin. People tend to forget it after this season but another Capel recruit WW had quite a bit to do with our success that year. Yes, he had his ups and downs but at times he took over games. I just have a hard time believing that the sole reason for our success those years was Blake Griffin. It wasn't Blake and a bunch of spares. There is a decent sized list of players that got/have gotten progressively better under Capel.

I don't think it is that people don't want to give him credit. I think people recogonize that OU is not going to have a Blake Griffin very often. Therefore, they want to see Capel succeed without the best player in the country.

Right... I don't know why its so hard to understand this concept. You don't stumble across the 2nd best player in the history of the program all the time. Where would OU be right now if Blake Griffins brother and close friends didnt play for the school in his backyard?

When you have a player of that caliber (and one was rare as Blake), the coach needs to prove he can win without that player. I think Capel is under .500 without him and won't get an NIT invite in the two years without him, so obviously the fans are going to be curious....

I agree somewhat with the OP, but I was never fully sold on YO YO and I think he should be assisting someone with more experience. I am starting to get a little concerned about OU's B-Ball future.

Back