In state recruiting....

I think fans tend to focus on the guys that get away more than the guys that stay. Bookout, Alexander, Richard Dumans, Starks, Randy Rugherford, Ryan Minor, Joe Adkins, etc. etc. are in state guys that played at OU or OSU. You have to remember the guys most likely to leave the state and be noticed are the top players. When J.R. Giddens goes to KU people notice but when J.R. Johnson (a fictional 2 star recruit) signs with Lousiana Monroe nobody notices.

The State of Oklahoma is always going to lose some talented kids to KU. Love or hate KU, they are the regional basketball power. Kids know this and a significant percentage of kids in Oklahoma are going to dream about playing for KU. The few that get the opportunity are going to top players in the state. Additionally, a random out of state basketball school like Duke, Kentucy or Syracuse will steal away a big name recruit. Guys like Orton get a lot of interest. Some percentage of the time that kid is going to go somewhere other than OU, OSU or KU (the top 3 in this region).

Josh Richardson at Edmond SF might be one of those type guys to fill out a roster with a kid that could grow into a contributor.

I agree with DenverSooner that the state's media has probably hampered OU's basketball reputation within the state. I also remember when Kevin Pritchard left the state for KU back around '86 - and seemed to want NO part of OU - because of the "basketball school" thing.

I'm also curious if maybe Carl "The Hater" Henry has been on a one-man crusade to screw OU in particular. Isn't he an AAU coach or something? I'm pretty sure he at least has some influence, and it's been widely reported on OU boards that he carries a grudge against us for some reason.

That's why I never would even list either of his sons as a "lost recruit." They aren't Oklahomans, in my book.

Second, the media just absolutely screws OU when it comes to basketball. OU has a great program but the media down plays it. That helps young kids have a perception that OU is not a good place to go.

No, its not the media that plays a significant factor... If that were the case, Ok. State would be getting more of the elite prospects in OK that go out of state, and even the elite guys that decided to go to OU instead in that regard.

Second, the media just absolutely screws OU when it comes to basketball. OU has a great program but the media down plays it. That helps young kids have a perception that OU is not a good place to go.

Absolutly, 100% ridiculous.

I continue to find it stunningly hilarious that a certain segment of both OSU and OU fans are just convinced that they are getting "screwed" by the in-state media.

Somebody has to be wrong here... (let me guess... it's the OSU fans who are wrong?).

The truth of the matter is that only in-state school that gets consistently "screwed" by the in-state media is the University of Tulsa.

They play second-fiddle to OSU and OU in their home town and are almost outright ignored by the print and broadcast media in OKC.

Re: In state recruiting....OKLAHOMA KIDS - LINEUP

If you could get every in-state talent, you could have a great basketball team every year. Know I realize that is not possible, but think about what you could have right now - just off the top of my head:

Clarke, Page, Davis, Henry, Orton, Sidorkis, Udoh, Munelo - that's not a bad start at all and I have probably left some people out. And you could add to that Blake Griffin who could still be in school. Now that would be a team that could challenge for the Big 12 and maybe even national title. 3 bigs like Udoh, Griffin and Orton would be impressive. No true point guard, but I am leaving someone out for sure.

Re: In state recruiting....OKLAHOMA KIDS - LINEUP

And you could add to that Blake Griffin who could still be in school.

You're pretending things that didn't/wouldn't happen did happen to make your case. This doesn't work.

Back