Insane?

Sweetest OU Girl

Reaction score
Why in the world has the women's program decided against generally playing at home - or on TV?

Are they afraid if fans see them play we will realize how bad this team is? What other possible reason could there be?

It is insane. We play 11 non-conference games this year - and over half are on the road. That is truly crazy!

And it is made even worse when you intentionally hide the games from fans by making sure almost none are viewable. In the entire month of November you will see them on TV exactly twice. That is ridiculous! This is 2017 - not 1950!

Look at all other Big-12 teams. No one has over 4 away games - and even then 2 or 3 of those are on neutral courts. Some have even fewer away games. No form of intelligent scheduling - or fairness to your players - makes them play mostly in true road games.

If teams are within 8 to 10 points of each other, the home team wins 75% of the time. Why schedule intentional losses?

The only logic I can see is SC expects to lose lots of these games and is trying to build in a pre-excuse: "Well, we had to play it on the road".

We would have almost certainly won last night if we had played at home. The DePaul coach is intelligent enough to know that. Why are we not that smart? It is certainly not because we are not paying our coach and administrators enough. All of you claim Joe C is so smart. Why is he allowing this? Why do he and President Boren have so much disrespect for the fans? And even worse -- the players?

I happen to know it is costing us season ticket sales. I know several people who bought tickets for many years who just got frustrated a few years ago when this started - and decided, "OK, if you won't let me watch the games unless it is a home game, then I refuse to support you with a ticket purchase. I can watch all those home games on TV anyway".

Yes, I am frustrated. We have an obligation to give our players a reasonable chance to compete under a fair scheduling syatem. No wonder we have had several leave us in the past few years.

Why in the world has the women's program decided against generally playing at home - or on TV?

Are they afraid if fans see them play we will realize how bad this team is? What other possible reason could there be?

It is insane. We play 11 non-conference games this year - and over half are on the road. That is truly crazy!

And it is made even worse when you intentionally hide the games from fans by making sure almost none are viewable. In the entire month of November you will see them on TV exactly twice. That is ridiculous! This is 2017 - not 1950!

Look at all other Big-12 teams. No one has over 4 away games - and even then 2 or 3 of those are on neutral courts. Some have even fewer away games. No form of intelligent scheduling - or fairness to your players - makes them play mostly in true road games.

If teams are within 8 to 10 points of each other, the home team wins 75% of the time. Why schedule intentional losses?

The only logic I can see is SC expects to lose lots of these games and is trying to build in a pre-excuse: "Well, we had to play it on the road".

We would have almost certainly won last night if we had played at home. The DePaul coach is intelligent enough to know that. Why are we not that smart? It is certainly not because we are not paying our coach and administrators enough. All of you claim Joe C is so smart. Why is he allowing this? Why do he and President Boren have so much disrespect for the fans? And even worse -- the players?

I happen to know it is costing us season ticket sales. I know several people who bought tickets for many years who just got frustrated a few years ago when this started - and decided, "OK, if you won't let me watch the games unless it is a home game, then I refuse to support you with a ticket purchase. I can watch all those home games on TV anyway".

Yes, I am frustrated. We have an obligation to give our players a reasonable chance to compete under a fair scheduling syatem. No wonder we have had several leave us in the past few years.

I don't think we have any control over whether away games are televised or not. That's up to the home team.

Generally, coaches seem to like to schedule more OOC home games for young teams and more OOC games away for veteran teams. Similarly, they will often schedule tougher OOC games when they have a veteran team. They do what they think will help make their team better when the conference games roll around.

I don't think we have any control over whether away games are televised or not. That's up to the home team.

Generally, coaches seem to like to schedule more OOC home games for young teams and more OOC games away for veteran teams. Similarly, they will often schedule tougher OOC games when they have a veteran team. They do what they think will help make their team better when the conference games roll around.

This!!! We have absolutely no control over televising road or neutral site games. Sherri has almost always played an aggressive road schedule during non-conference play. Whenever they play at home not many show up to the games. Not even honoring Courtney Paris could bring out fans when parking lot was full of RVs for the football game AND anyone could gain FREE entry with a football ticket. That was embarrassing! Part of it is play not being up to standards the past few years. Another part is everyone has a big screen TV with high definition picture and they don’t have to pay for tickets. This is not just OU either. #2 Texas first game had attendance of 3,400 in a 16,000 seat arena!

This!!! We have absolutely no control over televising road or neutral site games. Sherri has almost always played an aggressive road schedule during non-conference play. Whenever they play at home not many show up to the games. Not even honoring Courtney Paris could bring out fans when parking lot was full of RVs for the football game AND anyone could gain FREE entry with a football ticket. That was embarrassing! Part of it is play not being up to standards the past few years. Another part is everyone has a big screen TV with high definition picture and they don’t have to pay for tickets. This is not just OU either. #2 Texas first game had attendance of 3,400 in a 16,000 seat arena!

Both of you need to stop and think before you post things.

Of course we have some control over that. We are free to schedule whatever teams we want. We are not forced to schedule a team who refuses to put the games on TV.

In addition, the suggestion that we set the schedule we did because we had an experienced team is silly. We are a very, very young team. 3 of our main 6 players are FRESHMEN. It can't get much younger than that. We should not be forcing them to play game after game as TRUE ROAD GAMES.

No one else in the conference is doing that foolishness. Baylor plays game after game after game IN WACO. Not on the road. Texas plays game after game in Austin - not on the road. It is the same for team after team after team. Well, except for OU WBB. It is very foolish to do that to such a young team - or for that matter to any team.

If it is such a GREAT idea, why is NO ONE ELSE doing it?

One of the contributing factors to our weakened attendance is a lack of TV coverage of games. If the football team quit having TV coverage, fan support would diminish. Why in the world do advertisers place ads on TV? They want people to know about them. To abandon so many chances to use TV to strengthen your fan base is a very bad idea.

If NOT having your games on TV is such a marvelous idea, why in the world is the Thunder having virtually every game on TV?

Both of you need to stop and think before you post things.

Of course we have some control over that. We are free to schedule whatever teams we want. We are not forced to schedule a team who refuses to put the games on TV.

In addition, the suggestion that we set the schedule we did because we had an experienced team is silly. We are a very, very young team. 3 of our main 6 players are FRESHMEN. It can't get much younger than that. We should not be forcing them to play game after game as TRUE ROAD GAMES.

No one else in the conference is doing that foolishness. Baylor plays game after game after game IN WACO. Not on the road. Texas plays game after game in Austin - not on the road. It is the same for team after team after team. Well, except for OU WBB. It is very foolish to do that to such a young team - or for that matter to any team.

If it is such a GREAT idea, why is NO ONE ELSE doing it?

One of the contributing factors to our weakened attendance is a lack of TV coverage of games. If the football team quit having TV coverage, fan support would diminish. Why in the world do advertisers place ads on TV? They want people to know about them. To abandon so many chances to use TV to strengthen your fan base is a very bad idea.

If NOT having your games on TV is such a marvelous idea, why in the world is the Thunder having virtually every game on TV?

What a revolutionary idea - thinking before you post. smh

My post was based on what I've heard multiple coaches say when they talk about scheduling. You are free to disagree with them if you want to. Makes no difference to me.

I think you are on to something with SC building pre-excuses for this team. Seriously, think about what she has let her program deteriorate to. Nine/9 scholarship players, with only 8 that even remotely are Div I caliber. They play no defense and turn the ball over at a phenomenal rate. Looks like the makings of another disappointing season for a program that continues to decline under a coaching staff either incapable of or not willing to make it better. Flame away sunshine pumpers.

What a revolutionary idea - thinking before you post. smh

My post was based on what I've heard multiple coaches say when they talk about scheduling. You are free to disagree with them if you want to. Makes no difference to me.

Then explain why no one else in the conference is scheduling many away games during the non-conference? And never do.

You can investigate that by going to the Big-12 site, then at the top take a few minutes to click on each school and check out their WBB schedules.

No one is playing anywhere near half their games on the road.

So, I'm not disagreeing with them. You seem to be. Just check out the facts. Look at their schedules.

Then explain why no one else in the conference is scheduling many away games during the non-conference? And never do.

You can investigate that by going to the Big-12 site, then at the top take a few minutes to click on each school and check out their WBB schedules.

So, I'm not disagreeing with them. You seem to be. Just check out the facts. Look at their schedules.

I don't care what the rest of the coaches in the Big XII do for their scheduling. They all have their own reasons for how they schedule.

It's similar to football scheduling. Some schools (KSU and OSU) love to pad their OOC schedules with easy wins. Others don't. I happen to agree with the way we schedule. You learn more about your team by scheduling good teams than you do if you schedule bad teams.

I see we have 5 non-conference games away from Norman. TX has 4, Stanford has 7 and UConn has 8. I guess I’m not sure what the problem is. There are 9 conference away games in one of the toughest conferences in the country. I think it’s wise to have your team prepare for conference season on the road, but that’s just me.

I see we have 5 non-conference games away from Norman. TX has 4, Stanford has 7 and UConn has 8. I guess I’m not sure what the problem is. There are 9 conference away games in one of the toughest conferences in the country. I think it’s wise to have your team prepare for conference season on the road, but that’s just me.

I will help you with that.

OU away games: 11-13 DePaul, 11-21 Colorado State, 11-25 Oregon, 11-28 Arkansas Little Rock, 12-6 South Dakota State, 12-19 U Conn. That is 6 true away games. To go with that, we have exactly 5 home games.

You mentioned Texas: Georgia in Athens, Ga; Tennessee in Knoxville; plus 2 neutral site games. Not comparable to what OU has put before its players.

Stanford has 6 away games, but 3 of those are on neutral sites. By the way, they have lost both away games played so far.

How about Baylor: UCLA in LA, Nichols State in Thibodaux, Louisiana, plus 2 neutral court games.

Okie State by the way has ONE true road game - Mississippi State in Starkville, plus 2 neutral site games.

It goes on team after team. We should never be playing this many true road games.

As to UCONN, yes they always play lots of away games. But if anyone thinks we are just like UCONN......well, better re-evaluate that.

I’m sure that’s why Mulkey and Dungee left. They must have been scared of the road schedule facing the team this season.

As a season ticket holder, I have to say OU is failing in getting attendance at home. Nothing puts butts in seats like winning. I can remember Memorial Stadium in 1998 when nobody came. That’s a product problem.

If the product improved, not being on tv for away games would hurt fan interest. I think there are many factors at work here.

This team is scoring 100 points. That’s better that recent years. Let’s see if it continues. I enjoy watching the women compete. I believe this group can be better than last year’s because there seems to be more togetherness. I’ll be there to cheer them on. Sure I get frustrated by the silly fouls and careless turnovers. But I hope that we’ll see improvement on those mistakes. Some players on last year’s team never learned not to make silly fouls over their career. That drove me crazy.

I’m sure that’s why Mulkey and Dungee left. They must have been scared of the road schedule facing the team this season.

Interesting theory. I'm not sure we will ever know all the factors that went into that.

There have been some rumors that there may have been outside factors involved in their decisions.

I think all teams should only play home games

Should I take this post seriously? Are you just frustrated about something? Does it have anything to do with basketball?

I assume that you realize that someone has to want to carry a game, actually assuming that there is sufficient viewership to attract sponsors. We rarely see Grinnell vs Prairie View A&M which would be a rather entertaining game given their styles. Maybe twenty years ago, a State Farm agent stopped paying the lion's share of the cost of broadcasting OU football games in Dallas, and nobody picked it up. We just couldn't hear OU football, and that was before we had internet streams and a million cable TV channels. There has to be a paying audience for a television package.

Now, why should we want to play on the road? We have a lot of football fans who want to play in Dallas every year simply for recruiting exposure. Could be. It might also be that it is a good idea to play on the road against a good team or two because you are likely to be doing that in the NCAA tournament.

It is interesting that some really great teams at Baylor (lots of talent) did not win titles. Could the soft, home preseason schedule have played a role in that? Let's go beat up on Sam Houston State by sixty in Waco. That's a good thing, if you run into Sam Houston in Waco in the Elite Eight. Otherwise, it is simply a practice. You learn nothing that will enable you to win in the Elite Eight.

Intentionally hide games? The first message board that I was on when I first took up the internet wasn't a bad board. I was a Super Moderator on the board, and it was a pretty good board. But, I resigned because of the insane posts of a message board. For someone of scientific training, the illogical leaps of message boards were more related to supermarket tabloids, and I couldn't put up with it. Since, I've learned that message boards seem to attract the believers who insist that Elvis is alive and living on Mars---hey, that's a real headline from one of them.

But, intentionally hide games? It may appear that the retirement of Courtney's number and raising it to the rafters may have been hidden since so few showed up for such an event. But, there are just so many other things that appear to compete, like maybe Dancing with the Stars (never did get why someone wants to watch amateurs dance, even stars, although I've never heard of most of them.).

You do want to have games with different types of teams. You may play any type of team, and you need to learn how to cope with it. Iowa State is quite different from Kansas State, and neither is like DePaul. It is a good idea to play all styles, and you may have heard Sherri indicate that she likes to schedule against coaches that teach her team. I am actually very, very happy with our schedule this year. The closest thing to a cakewalk that probably won't teach us anything is Florida in Norman, and that's a part of that SEC challenge, I suspect.

You have two games, both against good teams who can shoot and run. Won one. Lost in OT on the road. Have three new players that you need to assimilate into a working mechanism. I'm most disappointed in Ana thus far. I've seen enough on court to see what she can do. But, she simply isn't hitting, too rushed. When she comes around to go with what we just saw from Shaina, we might be a very good team. Play some games. Learn some things.

Avoid the tabloids.

Should I take this post seriously? Are you just frustrated about something? Does it have anything to do with basketball?

I assume that you realize that someone has to want to carry a game, actually assuming that there is sufficient viewership to attract sponsors. We rarely see Grinnell vs Prairie View A&M which would be a rather entertaining game given their styles. Maybe twenty years ago, a State Farm agent stopped paying the lion's share of the cost of broadcasting OU football games in Dallas, and nobody picked it up. We just couldn't hear OU football, and that was before we had internet streams and a million cable TV channels. There has to be a paying audience for a television package.

Now, why should we want to play on the road? We have a lot of football fans who want to play in Dallas every year simply for recruiting exposure. Could be. It might also be that it is a good idea to play on the road against a good team or two because you are likely to be doing that in the NCAA tournament.

It is interesting that some really great teams at Baylor (lots of talent) did not win titles. Could the soft, home preseason schedule have played a role in that? Let's go beat up on Sam Houston State by sixty in Waco. That's a good thing, if you run into Sam Houston in Waco in the Elite Eight. Otherwise, it is simply a practice. You learn nothing that will enable you to win in the Elite Eight.

Intentionally hide games? The first message board that I was on when I first took up the internet wasn't a bad board. I was a Super Moderator on the board, and it was a pretty good board. But, I resigned because of the insane posts of a message board. For someone of scientific training, the illogical leaps of message boards were more related to supermarket tabloids, and I couldn't put up with it. Since, I've learned that message boards seem to attract the believers who insist that Elvis is alive and living on Mars---hey, that's a real headline from one of them.

But, intentionally hide games? It may appear that the retirement of Courtney's number and raising it to the rafters may have been hidden since so few showed up for such an event. But, there are just so many other things that appear to compete, like maybe Dancing with the Stars (never did get why someone wants to watch amateurs dance, even stars, although I've never heard of most of them.).

You do want to have games with different types of teams. You may play any type of team, and you need to learn how to cope with it. Iowa State is quite different from Kansas State, and neither is like DePaul. It is a good idea to play all styles, and you may have heard Sherri indicate that she likes to schedule against coaches that teach her team. I am actually very, very happy with our schedule this year. The closest thing to a cakewalk that probably won't teach us anything is Florida in Norman, and that's a part of that SEC challenge, I suspect.

You have two games, both against good teams who can shoot and run. Won one. Lost in OT on the road. Have three new players that you need to assimilate into a working mechanism. I'm most disappointed in Ana thus far. I've seen enough on court to see what she can do. But, she simply isn't hitting, too rushed. When she comes around to go with what we just saw from Shaina, we might be a very good team. Play some games. Learn some things.

Avoid the tabloids.

Great post!

I assume that you realize that someone has to want to carry a game, actually assuming that there is sufficient viewership to attract sponsors.

You do want to have games with different types of teams.

Syb,

You should be smarter than this. Of course there is a way to get the games televised. Play most non-conference games at home - since almost all home games are televised. Like virtually everyone else we have to compete with for seeding at tournament time does.

The problem with playing MOSTLY away games is that it seriously diminishes your seeding at tournament time. That has happened to us more than once in the past few years. It's time to quit that foolishness.

Playing so many road games has NOTHING to do with the kinds of teams you play. Play any style teams you wish. But be intelligent enough to play a reasonable number of them at home.

If it is such a hot idea to mostly play on the road, why doesn't our football team play all non-conference games on the road? Because they are too smart to do that.

It is my position that our schedule hurts our chances to be seeded highly in March. Look at what has happened in past years.

You mentioned Florida. You do understand that this will be the very first time we have been allowed to play the SEC challenge at home? What has happened to all those SEC challenge games we have played on the road to date? That is no surprise. The home team has a significant advantage. Look at past years in just the conference. Why is it that virtually everyone's record is better at home than on the road? Against the exact same teams both places?

You cannot afford to have 3, 4, or 5 fewer wins than the teams you are competing with for seeds in March. Why in the world does the conference make all teams play half their games at home and half away? Would anyone agree to play all conference games away so someone else can play all their conference games at home? It is not going to happen. Why? You diminish your chances of winning by playing that many games on the road. I don't believe you don't understand this. Yet, SC agrees to do exactly that in the non-conference games - and somehow thinks it helps her team.

Last edited:
Syb,

You should be smarter than this.
I don't know that I am.
The problem with playing MOSTLY away games is that it seriously diminishes your seeding at tournament time.
But, I am smarter than this. Road win counts 1.4. Home win counts 0.6. Road loss counts 0.6 losses. Home loss counts 1.4 losses.

A 5-5 record on the road would be equivalent to 7-3
A 5-5 record at home would be equivalent to 3-7.

I don't know that I am.
But, I am smarter than this. Road win counts 1.4. Home win counts 0.6. Road loss counts 0.6 losses. Home loss counts 1.4 losses.

A 5-5 record on the road would be equivalent to 7-3
A 5-5 record at home would be equivalent to 3-7.

I believe someone just found out what getting owned means. :D

Back