Its kinda funny....

thebigabd

Reaction score
Early in the year (and all offseason) there was this divide on the board about recruiting. Things were good, OU was coming off an elite 8, we had MCDAA's all over the place, we were recruiting guys like Lamb, Jones, Mccallum, and a bunch of other big name guys. The very thought of even looking at the juco ranks made some (you know who you are) laugh, laugh, and laugh some more.

OU was past that, they said. Those days were over. OU was above that. With Jeff Capel, there was no need to recruit juco players because he could just point and sign NBA players with his eyes closed.

Now even those people can't wait to see what Aziz Ndaiye, Juwanza Poland, and Tony Smith (all OU targets) are going to do. In many ways people are expecting these guys to be the answer, to be the pieces to the puzzle when added to OU's current talent to save next year from being another disaster.

Aziz is coming in on Saturday, and with his signature the expectations from the entire fanbase will change for next year. And wouldnt you know it, he is a junior college player.

Its kinda funny....

Most who you are referring to are 22-25 and under. There is probably a correlation.

Last edited:
Early in the year (and all offseason) there was this divide on the board about recruiting. Things were good, OU was coming off an elite 8, we had MCDAA's all over the place, we were recruiting guys like Lamb, Jones, Mccallum, and a bunch of other big name guys. The very thought of even looking at the juco ranks made some (you know who you are) laugh, laugh, and laugh some more.

OU was past that, they said. Those days were over. OU was above that. With Jeff Capel, there was no need to recruit juco players because he could just point and sign NBA players with his eyes closed.

Now even those people can't wait to see what Aziz Ndaiye, Juwanza Poland, and Tony Smith (all OU targets) are going to do. In many ways people are expecting these guys to be the answer, to be the pieces to the puzzle when added to OU's current talent to save next year from being another disaster.

Aziz is coming in on Saturday, and with his signature the expectations from the entire fanbase will change for next year. And wouldnt you know it, he is a junior college player.

Its kinda funny....

It's not funny to me. It's sad. Sad that we are missing out on the guys we wanted and having to settle for the leftovers.

Hopefully Terrance Jones will be a Sooner. I don't care how tough it is to motivate freshman MAA's. I'd rather have that problem then hoping guys like Kyle Cannon, Orlando Allen and Juan Patillo will work out.

It's not funny to me. It's sad. Sad that we are missing out on the guys we wanted and having to settle for the leftovers.

Hopefully Terrance Jones will be a Sooner. I don't care how tough it is to motivate freshman MAA's. I'd rather have that problem then hoping guys like Kyle Cannon, Orlando Allen and Juan Patillo will work out.

+1

And if you really thought we'd just go out every year and cherry-pick top 15 talent, you were wrong. We aren't recruiting on that level, and it might take a decade to get there. There are only 3-5 schools that can do that currently.

What would be "funny" to me is if Capel finished out this class with KC Ross-Miller, Julian Washington and Terrance Jones.

What would be "funny" to me is if Capel finished out this class with KC Ross-Miller, Julian Washington and Terrance Jones.

I don't think that helps us much next year, but it certainly would give us some monster talent the following 2 years. We've seen what "youth" looks like this year. Even some pretty highly ranked kids, like Tiny, still need work in alot of cases. Give me the JUCO's, and we can attack the top ranked HS talent the following year. I wouldn't turn Jones away, but I'd still want the big center coming in this weekend too.

When you speak of funny, do you mean "ha ha" funny or "ironic" funny?

Both.

Yea that would be funny.

Why would signing Aziz Ndaiye and Juwanza Poland out of juco be sad? Those guys would both probably start, lol.

Both.

Why would signing Aziz Ndaiye and Juwanza Poland out of juco be sad? Those guys would both probably start, lol.

I am well aware of Ndaiye and what he could bring to the table, but I am drawing a blank for Poland. Can you fill me in on what type of player he is (position, skill set, interest, visit date?) Thanks, in advance, Big!

I am well aware of Ndaiye and what he could bring to the table, but I am drawing a blank for Poland. Can you fill me in on what type of player he is (position, skill set, interest, visit date?) Thanks, in advance, Big!

Poland is a 6-4 athletic wing type. He was the Jayhawk Juco Conference freshman of the year last year, then transferred to Hutchinson but wasn't granted eligibility to play this year. He visited OU I think it was for the Arizona game with Robert Goff.

Poland is a 6-4 athletic wing type. He was the Jayhawk Juco Conference freshman of the year last year, then transferred to Hutchinson but wasn't granted eligibility to play this year. He visited OU I think it was for the Arizona game with Robert Goff.

Thank you, Sooner23! Has OU offered? Any other D1 offers?

Thank you, Sooner23! Has OU offered? Any other D1 offers?

I'm not sure about the offer. And just to clarify about the Goff/Poland visit, I'm pretty sure it was just an unofficial visit. I think both have been offered by Wichita State and are also being recruited by Kansas State.

Jawanza Poland is a 6'4'' guard who was the Jayhawk Conference freshman of the year last year. He transferred from Cowley to Hutchinson with Steve Eck, and is sitting out this year.

This is a report on him from out of high school:

"This kid has all the tools to excel. Nice 2-3 and small forward size. Can shoot the 3 ball. Will guard from the high school 4 to the 1.
Hits the boards well. Ball handling can get better. Keep that Killer Instinct for 4 quarters- should be highly sought after. Can be a top
prospect."- The Coaches Report

DM has mentioned he is in the mold of Ebi Ere, if that helps.

Jawanza Poland is a 6'4'' guard who was the Jayhawk Conference freshman of the year last year. He transferred from Cowley to Hutchinson with Steve Eck, and is sitting out this year.

This is a report on him from out of high school:

"This kid has all the tools to excel. Nice 2-3 and small forward size. Can shoot the 3 ball. Will guard from the high school 4 to the 1.
Hits the boards well. Ball handling can get better. Keep that Killer Instinct for 4 quarters- should be highly sought after. Can be a top
prospect."- The Coaches Report

DM has mentioned he is in the mold of Ebi Ere, if that helps.

Poland isn't playing for OU next year. He's going to play Juco ball again. He's not sitting out a year to go to OU and their's no telling with his transcript. I think it's a little unfair not to mention Cameron Clark who is right now a top 15 player and will be a McD's AA. If OU were by chance to get Jones, which I think is still a possibility because UK is in on Ross, Smith, and Leslie, and Washinton had Enes Kanter, that would give OU two very elite guys and quite frankly 2 of the top 3 talents in the Capel era.

In recruiting you have two focuses. Build for the future and fill immediate needs. Their are some recruits that have the ability to do both. Their are some guys that fill immediate needs, but will not be here very long. Then we have guys that are question marks. I think we built for the future in last years class, but as we see, some of those guys like Pledger, Fitz, and Gallon to an extent aren't filling immediate needs. I wouldn't trade those guys for any player that may be a junior juco player or transfer that is in the rotation at their program averaging 9 or 10 points. Now going ahead, when we bring in guys that need seasoning, maybe the development of a Pledger, Fitz, and hopefully Willis will bridge the growing pains. If OU has to supplement a junior college player to help bridge, that's fine as long as they have the talent and aren't the void of talent like some guys we got recently. However, you never stop recruiting program changers.

Back