Its kinda funny....

But Edmond, when me and you were growing up, one Juco guy could put you in position to make an NCAA run. The best guard in OU history was a Juco player. Larry Johnson was a guy that instantly took UNLV to a championship and title game. That era is definetely gone. There are alot of contributors on the juco level, but very few instant stars. So if the philosophy is to find a contributor, then utilize the juco ranks. I do not believe you can substain a program over the longhaul based on top heavy juco classes.

But i didnt say top heavy...i said 1 or 2 a year...it has been proven over OU success in the 2000's that one or two can be a key cog on teams that make runs and can help complete rosters...

This years team is a perfect example of this...i firmly believe Juan Patillo on this squad makes this season look a lot different...

you are going to win on a few and lose on a few, but you know pretty fast who those guys are gonna be and can recover from it much sooner than missing on a High School guy that isnt a sure thing and never pans out...

But i didnt say top heavy...i said 1 or 2 a year...it has been proven over OU success in the 2000's that one or two can be a key cog on teams that make runs and can help complete rosters...

This years team is a perfect example of this...i firmly believe Juan Patillo on this squad makes this season look a lot different...

you are going to win on a few and lose on a few, but you know pretty fast who those guys are gonna be and can recover from it much sooner than missing on a High School guy that isnt a sure thing and never pans out...

Juan Patillo would have made a world of difference. If we can get guys like him, talentwise, that would be a good supplement.

I have never been opposed to signing JUCO players. I've said many times that I would like to see OU bring in a junior college player (two at the most) each year to fill specific needs and to add more experience and maturity to our class of high school players. But, I'm for going after JUCOs who can come in and contribute right way, not some project who may or may not see the court by late in his senior season.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame our coaches for taking a chance on someone like Orlando Allen. Players with his size don't exactly grow on trees. The same is true of a 7 footer like N'diaye. I have to trust our coaches and assume the kid can play, because I can't speak to his abilities personally. All I know is that we need post players in the worst way next season. So much so, in fact, that if Coach Capel and his staff don't sign a couple of quality bigs in April, OU will struggle to make the post season again. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

That said, I have not given up on signing Terrence Jones. Chico has been saying for months that OU will get TJ, and I'm starting to believe him. After a season of being undersized and out manned in nearly every game we've played this year, Jones, Tiny and N'diaye would give the Sooners a front court capable of competing with any team in the country.

I am all for bringing in JUCO players if they can fill a need; I'm very much against making the "recruitment of JUCO players" a personal "I told you so, nanny nanny boo" moment.

Patillo and Cannon hitting the bricks, along with the complete non-contribution of Orlando Allen are a huge reason why we are in a bind this season. JUCO's may be the answer, but to think that they have not been a part of the problem is myopic.

Patillo and Cannon hitting the bricks, along with the complete non-contribution of Orlando Allen are a huge reason why we are in a bind this season. JUCO's may be the answer, but to think that they have not been a part of the problem is myopic.

And just as big a reason, are guys like Maze, Early, Clark, Neysmith, and to some degree, Wright.

And just as big a reason, are guys like Maze, Early, Clark, Neysmith, and to some degree, Wright.
Maybe it's premature, but Willis belongs on that list. Gives us ZERO when he is in the game.

Sure. But this is a thread about how superfantastic JUCO guys would be and a swipe at fans who wanted our program to focus on 4 year kids. Personally I am a big fan of bringing in JUCO kids, and see it as a big part of OU's tradition, but I also see no purpose in flaunting one side of the argument and ignoring the other.

The reality is that we need to be focused on bringing in quality glue guys that stick within the program [i.e guys like Crocker and Davis and, from the JUCO ranks, Leary]. An added benefit would be if those guys once established in the program could develop and even push more "talented" youngsters [Longar and T. Griffin come to mind]. If that is happening, it is simple math to tell you that having those types of guys in the program for 4 or 5 years is better than having them for 2 or 3.

Like I said, presenting one side of an argument to make a point that is one that really has no purpose other than "giving it up to ones self" is myopic...and really what I would expect from another board, not this one.

Back