Its kinda funny....

Poland isn't playing for OU next year. He's going to play Juco ball again. He's not sitting out a year to go to OU and their's no telling with his transcript. I think it's a little unfair not to mention Cameron Clark who is right now a top 15 player and will be a McD's AA. If OU were by chance to get Jones, which I think is still a possibility because UK is in on Ross, Smith, and Leslie, and Washinton had Enes Kanter, that would give OU two very elite guys and quite frankly 2 of the top 3 talents in the Capel era.

In recruiting you have two focuses. Build for the future and fill immediate needs. Their are some recruits that have the ability to do both. Their are some guys that fill immediate needs, but will not be here very long. Then we have guys that are question marks. I think we built for the future in last years class, but as we see, some of those guys like Pledger, Fitz, and Gallon to an extent aren't filling immediate needs. I wouldn't trade those guys for any player that may be a junior juco player or transfer that is in the rotation at their program averaging 9 or 10 points. Now going ahead, when we bring in guys that need seasoning, maybe the development of a Pledger, Fitz, and hopefully Willis will bridge the growing pains. If OU has to supplement a junior college player to help bridge, that's fine as long as they have the talent and aren't the void of talent like some guys we got recently. However, you never stop recruiting program changers.

agreed

Now going ahead, when we bring in guys that need seasoning, maybe the development of a Pledger, Fitz, and hopefully Willis will bridge the growing pains.

The problem with that, is if they don't develop, you get stuck like this year's team. Wright and Allen didn't develop, and now we're hurting in the post. I don't want that to even have a chance of being possible next year. We aren't good enough to say forget next year, let us build for the future. Next year is our future, and Capel better do everything possible to field a good, competitive, Dancing team.

The problem with that, is if they don't develop, you get stuck like this year's team. Wright and Allen didn't develop, and now we're hurting in the post. I don't want that to even have a chance of being possible next year. We aren't good enough to say forget next year, let us build for the future. Next year is our future, and Capel better do everything possible to field a good, competitive, Dancing team.

Now when you speak of Wright and Allen, that's a different aspect. You can't pass on a 6'8 post player that is as strong as a bull and can jump out the gym. You can't pass on long armed 7ft guys either. That's the chance you have to take. OSU has two 6'10 guys on their roster and recently ran off a 6'11 kid. If one of those three guys were to pan out, that would be a recruiting success.

Tjones, Yuguete, and N'Diaye for me please....

I would also love to find a way to add Tony Smith.

Poland isn't playing for OU next year. He's going to play Juco ball again. He's not sitting out a year to go to OU and their's no telling with his transcript. I think it's a little unfair not to mention Cameron Clark who is right now a top 15 player and will be a McD's AA. If OU were by chance to get Jones, which I think is still a possibility because UK is in on Ross, Smith, and Leslie, and Washinton had Enes Kanter, that would give OU two very elite guys and quite frankly 2 of the top 3 talents in the Capel era.

In recruiting you have two focuses. Build for the future and fill immediate needs. Their are some recruits that have the ability to do both. Their are some guys that fill immediate needs, but will not be here very long. Then we have guys that are question marks. I think we built for the future in last years class, but as we see, some of those guys like Pledger, Fitz, and Gallon to an extent aren't filling immediate needs. I wouldn't trade those guys for any player that may be a junior juco player or transfer that is in the rotation at their program averaging 9 or 10 points. Now going ahead, when we bring in guys that need seasoning, maybe the development of a Pledger, Fitz, and hopefully Willis will bridge the growing pains. If OU has to supplement a junior college player to help bridge, that's fine as long as they have the talent and aren't the void of talent like some guys we got recently. However, you never stop recruiting program changers.

pin this! and then DM somehow make jones come to ou.. then im happy

Personal attacks are banned on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal attacks are banned on this site.

Huh? Wow, thats a little uncalled for.

Grace has been around for several years, he is anything but a troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured they just followed Eck and want 3 years to play D-1.

Generally not good business to put kids on scholarship that aren't even going to play for you. Also, Poland has a fathe figure/mentor that is pushing the OU angle. If OU offers, he'll commit.

What would be "funny" to me is if Capel finished out this class with KC Ross-Miller, Julian Washington and Terrance Jones.

So is Julian Washington=Julian Washburn or is Washington someone new???

Generally not good business to put kids on scholarship that aren't even going to play for you. Also, Poland has a fathe figure/mentor that is pushing the OU angle. If OU offers, he'll commit.

They aren't on the official roster.

Do you have a source with Poland? Do you think OU will offer him?

Especially in the Jayhawk, they may have changed the rule but it used to be you could only have 6 players from outside the state of Kansas.

I was listening to Mike Gundy today and he said something that I thought applied in Basketball recruiting to a degree. He was talking about some guys that they brought in and he thought they were going to be can't miss guys and they've headed south and some guys that had question marks and they've came in and put in the work. In basketball, talent is a little more evident than football, but those things still happen in the sport. You look at a guy Like Allen and you're taking a chance on him coming in and evolving into a Roy Hibbert or Thabeet, two ther guys that were projects. That hasn't happened unfortuately. I'm really excited about this Aziz guy. I think he can be a guy that can fill needs. Truth of the matter is he's a chance too! Tiny Gallon isn't a chance. He's just not playing well. TMG isn't a chance either. Terrence Jones isn't a chance and neither is Clark. Those are good players.

better than average juco player. double digit guy that can shoot and slash. decent size. comparable to T.J. Taylor. He and TJ would be in competition for minutes. TJ's development will determine Poland's offer.

What is funny to me is people that think the JUCO ranks dont produce players anymore...

I'm not saying there are a lot of All-Americans just lying around waiting to be recruited, but there are plenty of guys that just need the chance to play at the D1 level that can contribute and play a role that is needed...

1 or 2 a year in a program like OU is a must IMO...we arent going to be a team that can rely on Mickey D's every year, and even when we get 1 or 2 we need to get a guy in the program with some season and age to balance out...

your going to win with a few and lose with a few, and OU has had it's fair share that have panned out to make us quickly forget about the ones that dont...it's worth it...

What is funny to me is people that think the JUCO ranks dont produce players anymore...

I'm not saying there are a lot of All-Americans just lying around waiting to be recruited, but there are plenty of guys that just need the chance to play at the D1 level that can contribute and play a role that is needed...

1 or 2 a year in a program like OU is a must IMO...we arent going to be a team that can rely on Mickey D's every year, and even when we get 1 or 2 we need to get a guy in the program with some season and age to balance out...

your going to win with a few and lose with a few, and OU has had it's fair share that have panned out to make us quickly forget about the ones that dont...it's worth it...

But Edmond, when me and you were growing up, one Juco guy could put you in position to make an NCAA run. The best guard in OU history was a Juco player. Larry Johnson was a guy that instantly took UNLV to a championship and title game. That era is definetely gone. There are alot of contributors on the juco level, but very few instant stars. So if the philosophy is to find a contributor, then utilize the juco ranks. I do not believe you can substain a program over the longhaul based on top heavy juco classes.

Back