It's official: New OU president

TulsaWorld

Reaction score
It's official

​The University of Oklahoma board of regents announced its selection for the school's 14th president Monday morning. James L. Gallogly will replace David Boren as university president following his retirement at the end of the academic year on June 30.

Regents appointed Gallogly during a special meeting at 7:30 a.m. Monday. A news conference to announce the decision is set for 10 a.m.

More stuff to read on the new president...

Guerin Emig: What OU's new president must learn from the old one when it comes to football

As James Gallogly was being introduced as University of Oklahoma president Monday, a viewer of the Tulsa World’s Facebook Live coverage of the event remarked: “Sure hope he likes football.”

“I’m a true Sooner,” Gallogly told his audience. “If we lose a game or two I’m just as upset as you.”

A few minutes later, David Boren’s successor borrowed an OU ball cap worn to the stage by a member of the RUF/NEKS spirit group, and then, with Lincoln Riley and Bob Stoops a few feet away, flashed “Horns Down” while the band struck up “Boomer Sooner.”

So yes, it appears Gallogly likes football just fine. He has an OU degree. He has been a million-dollar OU donor. He knows the neighborhood, even if he lives more lavishly as a Fortune 500 CEO who, according to the Houston Business Journal, made $77.1 million in 2010.

It might be better to wonder: “Sure hope he likes all that comes with football when you are the president of a major conference university. Sure hope he understands it.”

New OU President James Gallogly said he's cheered Sooners 'on the gridiron, basketball courts and any time our team plays Texas'

New University of Oklahoma president James Gallogly reached out to the school’s athletic donors and season ticket holders of the Sooner Club.

In a six-paragraph e-mail which ended with the words “Boomer Sooner” Gallogly introduced his personal history which includes a J.D. degree from the OU College of Law in 1977 and his business work which included executive work at oil companies.

Another story to share...

James Gallogly has high expectations for OU athletics, but says ‘I am not going to be telling (coaches) how to call the next play’

Gallogly talked about love for his school, and at the University of Oklahoma, that tends to be synonymous with a love for football.

“If we lose a game or two, I’m just as upset as you,” Gallogly told the audience.

When Gallogly mentioned losing football games, Riley turned and whispered something in Stoops’ ear.

For Riley, it was another reminder of the expectations of winning at OU.

For Gallogly, it might have been an early moment in an important relationship.

Back