Joe Castiglione on alcohol sales at OU athletic events

I don't understand your point (perhaps I don't patronize enough bars with patios). I agree that folks wouldn't go to a bar if they couldn't drink a beer (or some other alcoholic beverage), but it's a bar. That's the whole point of its existence.

Why would people go to this random baseball game to get an overpriced beer when they can sit at this patio/bar you mentioned and get that same beer (and probably a better one) for less money?

Honestly, do we need to be able to drink everywhere we go? It's a college sporting event. Preserve the family atmosphere, keep fans sober for the drive home (I understand that some are going to drink no matter what) and keep the focus on the game.

We don't agree often, but I agree 100% with this post. Nicely put.

I'm not sure I would want to sit next to someone at a sporting event who wouldn't be there if it weren't for the beer.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you didn't pay for their seat, nor did you pay for their overpriced beer.

I don't understand your point (perhaps I don't patronize enough bars with patios). I agree that folks wouldn't go to a bar if they couldn't drink a beer (or some other alcoholic beverage), but it's a bar. That's the whole point of its existence.

Why would people go to this random baseball game to get an overpriced beer when they can sit at this patio/bar you mentioned and get that same beer (and probably a better one) for less money?

Honestly, do we need to be able to drink everywhere we go? It's a college sporting event. Preserve the family atmosphere, keep fans sober for the drive home (I understand that some are going to drink no matter what) and keep the focus on the game.

You clearly don't understand that to many people drinking a cold beer on a hot day is about as good as it gets. The idea of I don't want beer so no one else should get it, despite the fact that it would make a ton of money for the school and put butts in the seat is just bizarre to me.

It would make a bunch of sense to sell it at baseball and softball.

Football would be where the money is made but we are already sold out so no advantage in ticket sales. A few would probably give them up if alcohol is sold. It also takes away one of the reasons to buy club or suite tickets to the games. We are already worried about having to drop donor fees with the loss of taxable write off.

The club and suites still have a billion perks that the regular seats don't have. Those guys aren't going to be standing in the beer line for 20 minutes with the peasants.

The club and suites still have a billion perks that the regular seats don't have. Those guys aren't going to be standing in the beer line for 20 minutes with the peasants.

I hate being a peasant.

low point beer will effectively no longer exist in oklahoma after oct 1 2018

Budweiser, Coors ,Miller will ALWAYS exist and lower point beer of those companies has never existed . Coors doesn’t make an “Oklahoma batch “.

The only thing that was changed was product label that stated % vs volume .Whats inside was the same .

Saying that, now the true higher percentage beers can be sold everywhere in Oklahoma , not just liquor stores .

I agree, and I also don't think it would help attendance. I believe CU has allowed beer sales forever and their attendance always sucks.

Also, a cup of beer at a sporting event is usually $7+, way more than value. I don't know who would sift through crowds of 85,000 people, the parking madness, and a 4 hour football game because they offered beer. I can throw a rock in any direction and it a building that sells beer, for cheaper no less.

I say pass on this.

cu stopped beer sales at football and basketball a long long time ago

drillers and okc dodgers games sell beer and they are very much a family atmosphere as are most restaurants (and they all sell beer)

absolutly not

Budweiser, Coors ,Miller will ALWAYS exist and lower point beer of those companies has never existed . Coors doesn’t make an “Oklahoma batch “.

The only thing that was changed was product label that stated % vs volume .Whats inside was the same .

Saying that, now the true higher percentage beers can be sold everywhere in Oklahoma , not just liquor stores .

this is not correct in any way

Nope, try again.

Nope, try again.[/its

It’s 100 % correct . Bud and coors is the same strength in Texas or Oklahoma. Only difference is labeling.

dude please no some research ..

bud light in texas is 4.2% alcohol in oklahoma it is 4.0% (or 3.2 by Weight)

bud heavy or coors origional is 5.0% ABV in texas and it is 4.0%ABV in oklahoma

these are FACTS

these are FACTS

I have heard that it is all the same.

They aren't going to bother brewing a weaker beer for just two states. It wouldn't be cost effective.

these are FACTS

It’s converted by weight in Oklahoma and it comes out basically the same . Again Coors doesn’t have an “Oklahoma batch” in Golden . All is brewed the same , only labeling is changed . Not every batch is same percentage , some is a little stouter , some a little weaker , none are brewed specific for any individual state .
You should do some research , several articles out there about his myth

Last edited:
Why is there so much arguing over this?! The law changes in 3 months

I hope OU does‘n’t get desperate enough for more $$$ by introducing beer sales. Plenty of good opportunity to have a few beers prior to the game and support local businesses.

I was a Chiefs ticket holder for about 10 years. 98% of fans were responsible. Then you had the 2% who had been drinking at tailgate non-stop and then instead of sobering during the game they went the extra mile and got rip-roaring drunk. Too many fights and F-bombs and not very kid friendly.

I see far less of that at OU games and hope it stays that way. Might be that the fans are mostly better but I would hate to see an experiment with beer. Fans are packed so tightly at football games I could see the potential for a lot of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back