It's time for the Big O to get some run

Just for the record, I'm not trying to rip the guy. All I know is what I have seen with my own eyes on the court and the guy doesn't look like a d-1 player. He also looks to me to have a ways to go conditioning wise. I see people clamoring for him to play constantly and I'm just not sure what difference he could possibly make. And I don't think we should throw guys out there that are going to be a liability just because. Hope he proves me wrong.

senior I wasn't referring to you in my post, you are a good poster and I know you wouldn't rip a player like that. It was mostly out of frustration post because so many people keep asking about Big O and I feel like a broken record. It really irritates me that some think he should have his scholly revoked, especially knowing what turmoil the kid has gone through and it set him back conditioning wise, basketball wise, etc.

Dan Cody got a 2nd chance, no reason Big O shouldn't!

Last edited:
senior I wasn't referring to you in my post, you are a good poster and I know you wouldn't rip a player like that. It was mostly out of frustration post because so many people keep asking about Big O and I feel like a broken record. It really irritates me that some think he should have his scholly revoked, especially knowing what turmoil the kid has gone through and it set him back conditioning wise, basketball wise, etc.

SQ, I think most of the posters here want to see Orlando get an opportunity to prove himself. They realize he can't do that by playing a meaningless minute or two on occasion, and then going back to his usual place on the bench. If he's physically and emotionally capable of playing two minutes, how much harm can it do to increase his playing time to 8 or 10 or 12 to allow him to get into the flow of the game? That's especially true now when our options at the post are limited.

It really irritates me that some think he should have his scholly revoked, especially knowing what turmoil the kid has gone through and it set him back conditioning wise, basketball wise, etc.

Maybe people would be more understanding of his turmoil if people who did know weren't so cryptic about it. Don't get me wrong, I understand people not wanting to talk about it, especially if they have good sources they don't want to lose. But, what I don't like is people being cryptic, then acting holier-than-thou about the turmoil he's been through when people don't even know what it is to judge for themselves.

Personally, I think the kid has one year left and we might as well keep him around. Hell, we kept around Chris Walker. Willis and especially Hardrick have time they can spend at another program playing. Allen doesn't have a year left after this.

Agreed and thanks for supporting Big O. He has overcome alot and I am damn glad he is a Sooner and want him on this team next year.

I agree its time he plays, he is 6-11 he can't be any worse than Fitz right now. We need his big body to lean on post players with Tiny out.

This season is over lets play him

Agreed.
Ryan Wright isn't any good.
Orlando Allen would literally have to be the worst big man ever to be so much worse than Ryan Wright that he can't take 5 minutes away from him.
And I don't think he's that bad, so it's really confusing.

Ryan Wright isn't any good? I don't agree with that at all. Is he a great player? No. Has he improved himself quite a bit this year? Absolutely. He has been our best post player since the start of conference play.

Big O doesnt need run...let him fully get over whatever he was dealing with since apparently it took most of the season already. Let fitz get most of the minutes to help us for the future

I watched OU real closely for the first time since the Norman Bedlam game, and Wright looked pretty solid. He put a great spin move on Pilgrim for 2 easy points. Then the ball never went back into him (that I remember). Then when Allen came in for his minute. He had a pass go off his hands for a turnover and got abused by Pilgrim on the pick and roll.

Was the Wright offensive move just an aberration?

Agreed.
Ryan Wright isn't any good.
Orlando Allen would literally have to be the worst big man ever to be so much worse than Ryan Wright that he can't take 5 minutes away from him.
And I don't think he's that bad, so it's really confusing.

Except for Wrightsw play against UT, right?

Does Oleg Restov have more minutes in a season than Orlando Allen has received this year?

Seems crazy that the garbage time minutes Oleg had is greater than what Orlando has when we need post depth.

Does Oleg Restov have more minutes in a season than Orlando Allen has received this year?

Seems crazy that the garbage time minutes Oleg had is greater than what Orlando has when we need post depth.

When Oleg signed with OU, the preseason magazines acted like he was going to be a good player. I think they said things like "most interesting is 7'2" Oleg Retzov who will be an immediate presence in the paint".

Maybe people would be more understanding of his turmoil if people who did know weren't so cryptic about it. Don't get me wrong, I understand people not wanting to talk about it, especially if they have good sources they don't want to lose. But, what I don't like is people being cryptic, then acting holier-than-thou about the turmoil he's been through when people don't even know what it is to judge for themselves.

Personally, I think the kid has one year left and we might as well keep him around. Hell, we kept around Chris Walker. Willis and especially Hardrick have time they can spend at another program playing. Allen doesn't have a year left after this.

There is nothing cryptic about it. He has had some problems similar to Dan Cody, plus many problems on top of that such as having a baby which eventually turned his whole attitude and life around. He broke no laws and has been a great teammate, he just hasn't had much practice time until lately but it isn't my place to discuss his personal issues, especially being a mod. Not one time have I acted like I was "holier-than-though". You obviously have never followed my posts nor my posting style if you think that. If you don't want me to bring you guys anymore information then so be it, I shall keep my info to myself but my track record speaks for itself. The source is myself for this particular instance!

There is nothing cryptic about it. He has had some problems similar to Dan Cody, plus many problems on top of that such as having a baby which eventually turned his whole attitude and life around. He broke no laws and has been a great teammate, he just hasn't had much practice time until lately but it isn't my place to discuss his personal issues, especially being a mod. Not one time have I acted like I was "holier-than-though". You obviously have never followed my posts nor my posting style if you think that. If you don't want me to bring you guys anymore information then so be it, I shall keep my info to myself but my track record speaks for itself. The source is myself for this particular instance!

Fair enough. Maybe I haven't read every post to know exactly what Orlando is going through, although I have gathered that he's had problems. And don't get me wrong, I appreciate your info, especially when it's first-hand. I don't even care if you don't reveal sources when you do have third-party information. It's none of my business and I just appreciate that you're willing to share.

I don't really remember what Dan Cody went through, other than rumors of drugs (which obviously isn't an issue we're talking about with Orlando). Maybe it was depression? I don't know.

And on the holier-than-thou comment, looking back I could have misread your post. I thoguht you were saying something like "It really irritates me that some think he should have his scholly revoked, especially [when I] know[] what turmoil the kid has gone through." But you just as easily could have meant "especially when [those posters] know[]". If so, my bad. If not, then I could see how posters could not exactly know what is going on with Orlando, especially when a multi-daily visitor to the forum doesn't quite know.

And again, regardless of what's going on with Big O, I hope he stays. He seems by all accounts to be a positive influence on the team. A guy who really loves to wear Oklahoma on the front of his jersey. That one scholarship probably won't make the difference next year.

Back