JaiLucasitis

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Man I hope we're not catching that again. Seems like the prospect of getting these high level guys is great, but the prospect of missing on them would prove to be dire. If we miss on Jones, what are our backup options at the post? I'm not ready to concede an offer to Robert Goff and hope that something a little more promising is out there. It looks like as if we might go 4 out of 5 years without getting a true viable PG. Lamb and Zeigler are real nice prospects, but they are still very undecided. If we don't get any of these guys we're looking at what?

I wouldn't be surprised to see us get involved with Tony Mitchell and Keith Davis if we miss on Jones. And while I'd love to have Lamb, he really is kind of a "sugar on top" guy for me. We still have Pledger, Davis and Willis to man the wing spots if we don't get him. Actually, if Lamb goes elsewhere I wouldn't mind us making a move at Ross-Miller.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us get involved with Tony Mitchell and Keith Davis if we miss on Jones. And while I'd love to have Lamb, he really is kind of a "sugar on top" guy for me. We still have Pledger, Davis and Willis to man the wing spots if we don't get him. Actually, if Lamb goes elsewhere I wouldn't mind us making a move at Ross-Miller.

Jones would be enough to complete this class in my opinion. Now I think that Ricky Scott is a better prospect than Ross-Miller, but he doesn't really have a position. I do remember Coach O saying that a PG that can't shoot is of no use in college basketball. Ross-Miller committed to UK as a Sophomore. Then, the scouting report was that he had no shooting ability. you would have expected a high level guy back then to have improved on that. He didn't. However, that being said, he is a guy that has a high Bball IQ and that is a natural PG. As for Tony Mitchell, I wonder why they aren't getting in on him now? There may potentially be three more schollies and he seems good enough to get one in my opinion. The coaches know better than I do, however.....

Jones would be enough to complete this class in my opinion. Now I think that Ricky Scott is a better prospect than Ross-Miller, but he doesn't really have a position. I do remember Coach O saying that a PG that can't shoot is of no use in college basketball. Ross-Miller committed to UK as a Sophomore. Then, the scouting report was that he had no shooting ability. you would have expected a high level guy back then to have improved on that. He didn't. However, that being said, he is a guy that has a high Bball IQ and that is a natural PG. As for Tony Mitchell, I wonder why they aren't getting in on him now? There may potentially be three more schollies and he seems good enough to get one in my opinion. The coaches know better than I do, however.....
KC Ross's shot has improved.

I can't see OU signing a true point guard for at least two more years. TMG doesn't scare guards like Lamb and McCallum, because they can play the one or swing to the two with ease. But a kid like Trevor Releford, for example, can only play one position. I think that's one of the reasons why he chose Virginia.

There is a big difference in OU now and OU a couple years ago. We've signed better players than Jai since then and are going to continually be in on many high level recruits as long as Capel is around. I don't think we're going to have to settle for many recruits anymore hopefully.

that fiasco is one of the reasons i don't get too emotionally involved in recruiting anymore until a guy signs. in capel i trust. let him do his thing. he's such a recruiting machine i know he'll bring in good players, even if the barnes' and lambs sign elsewhere.

We have received verbals from the two guys that I thought we "needed" to get. I wouldn't worry about too much at this point. As mentioned above, things are far different now then they were during Capel's first year.

1. The fan support is much stronger, and teams are not able to use that against the Sooners. OSU tried, but it didn't work due to the fact that we have out-drawn them in butts in the seats during the last two seasons.

2. Capel already has put two guys in the league during his first three years, and seemingly has several more as "locks" to go to the league.

3. Top bigs want to be the next Blake Griffin, and top guards are soon to want to be the next Willie Warren.

4. Hitting the 30 win plateau and making it to the elite 8 has shown teams that Oklahoma can and will compete with the other big boys.

5. OU has more playing time to offer right now then that of KU, UCLA, Arizona, and Kentucky, and those are the four teams that we are really going up against with the Sooners' remaining 2010 top prospects.

Last edited:
that fiasco is one of the reasons i don't get too emotionally involved in recruiting anymore until a guy signs. in capel i trust. let him do his thing. he's such a recruiting machine i know he'll bring in good players, even if the barnes' and lambs sign elsewhere.

The Lucas saga was one of the strangest out there for a while; but given what happened to John Lucas III at Baylor I can understand why his dad would want to be picky about it. FWIW, I think that Jai was probably 50 spots to high, maybe more. Will be curious to see how he does at UT.

5. OU has more playing time to offer right now then that of KU, UCLA, Arizona, and Kentucky, and those are the four teams that we are really going up against with the Sooners' remaining 2010 top prospects.

This is what's giving me some hope with guys like Lamb and Jones.

Well said Red. Exactly the way I think. Don't even sweat it because Capel will bring in some players.

You're gonna miss on high level guys. Every school does. But Capel is recruiting enough of them that he's getting his fair share. I've said all along it's a numbers game. And Capel has it figured out. Regardless, I'd still rather go after the high profile guys even though sometimes we'll miss on them. If we don't go for them then we don't have guys like Blake, WW, Tiny & TMG and then where would we be?

Man I hope we're not catching that again. Seems like the prospect of getting these high level guys is great, but the prospect of missing on them would prove to be dire. If we miss on Jones, what are our backup options at the post? I'm not ready to concede an offer to Robert Goff and hope that something a little more promising is out there. It looks like as if we might go 4 out of 5 years without getting a true viable PG. Lamb and Zeigler are real nice prospects, but they are still very undecided. If we don't get any of these guys we're looking at what?

With TMG, Pledger, Willis, Davis, Franklin and Cam all going to be at OU next year does OU need a true point this class? I am not sure you don't want to take one a year just in case but I think this is the year OU can live without one. I think Franklin could be the back-up and both Pledger and Willis should be able to handle the ball well enough to play the two and help in the event of a press.

With TMG, Pledger, Willis, Davis, Franklin and Cam all going to be at OU next year does OU need a true point this class? I am not sure you don't want to take one a year just in case but I think this is the year OU can live without one. I think Franklin could be the back-up and both Pledger and Willis should be able to handle the ball well enough to play the two and help in the event of a press.

I completely agree Denver....I think someone has already posted this somewere but I think you take the best player available...whether he plays the 1,2, or 3 if he is of adequate talent he should be able to help ou at the pg spot (pg by committee) when TMG is tired or in foul trouble.....I could even see TJ playing the pg spot with tmg is not in...he could use his size to get it down the court (although this would slow our game up). I could easily see this lineup (with current players/already ones that have committed) when TMG is not in

1) Pledg
2) TJ
3) Clark ------ (Probably having clark bring the ball up due to certain missmatches)

But at the same time if we can get a talent like mccallum and bust on other guys...I could see us starting two PG's....so like I said you just snag the best talent available that wants to come to OU....I think the guys we are in on are ranked in this importance of who we need/I want first (leaving barnes out, seems like to much of a longshot):

1) Jones
2) Smith
3) Lamb
4) Mccallum

Jones is the top guy for me, smith being number 2 only because once tiny leaves we will need help down low.....But lamb would be a HUGE get imo....simply because I believe he is a 3 or 4 year player and having this line up 1)TMG 2) Lamb 3) Clark...for the next 3 years will give us a serious chance to win it all if we can get some low post depth

The bottom line is it's really hard to get more than one Top 25 recruit EVERY year. KU got 3 last year and may not get a single one this year. They got 1 in 2007 and then didn't get any in 2008.

The bottom line is that you need to keep enough talent flowing to have a high level but also have the Top 50-150 guys pan out to be good players. Signing Cam Clark was HUGE for OU in that they will still have 2 McD's guys in the backcourt even if they whiff on the rest of the guys they are recruiting.

Back