James Johnson to Virginia

Sorry and, I'll stick to Sam, BT, and Henzo when it comes to projections.

Thats fine... but about a month ago you thought OU was going to land anyone they wanted. Not the case.

abd, are we not still in on releford? i see you dont have him listed in that class

Last I heard we are still on Releford... but I think the staff should go get a guard that can play right away as a combo to give some legit depth behind TMG, and I dont think thats Releford.

Really?

Do you want us to become the Oklahoma version of Texas Tech?

Which guy on that board wouldnt come in and be in the regular rotation at OU?

Thats fine... but about a month ago you thought OU was going to land anyone they wanted. Not the case.

find that post, homie. Only guy I have ever said OU would land is Clark. When that ship sails then throw something in my face.

find that post, homie. Only guy I have ever said OU would land is Clark. When that ship sails then throw something in my face.

You must be joking.

You must be joking.

Find it. I never said OU was a lock on any player besider Clark and Ricky Scott. Obviously OU is right in the thick of it on several players that chose to go elsewhere which is very good. If you look at Johnson and Cobbins, Johnson visited OU three weeks before he committed and Cobbins visited OU two weeks before he committed. That's an indication of the work the coaches were doing, unless you beg to differ.

Maybe if we had more fans like BT and Sam who go out and support the team instead of these football shaft strokers and guys who like OU basketball right behind TT, Mizzou, and Colorado, we might land some of these cats.

Last edited:
Which guy on that board wouldnt come in and be in the regular rotation at OU?
Assuming Tiny comes back Goff would be 4th off the bench down low (Orlando, Tiny and Fitz would all be better).

JP would be behind Cade, Cameron and most likely Pledger and Willis, in fact I am pretty darn sure he would be behind Steve and Ray. Unless JP is another Pattilo in regards to ability which I really doubt.

Kendall Durant isn't better than Releford, just my opinion but Releford as a back up for 3 years and a starter for one year would be more important than having Durant be a back up behind TMG for two years.

I mean just look at the bulk of the class, obviously a key class by the amount of ships we're giving out and it would look more like a Texas Tech class than a Texas class.

If you can't see an issue with that then I think I will pull a Sid and start a status quo rant.

I mean just look at the bulk of the class, obviously a key class by the amount of ships we're giving out and it would look more like a Texas Tech class than a Texas class.

No offense to ABD, but he's not very saavy in following recruiting. Atleast if you're a Juco guy, you could have given us Asprilla, a proven D1 player. ABD, ever wonder why OSU got two commits from two Juco AA types and all of a sudden their offers were pulled? Turned out OSU was in on something better. Smurfs, but better prospects. Ever wonder where those two Juco AAs landed? Two mid major schools, Jacksonville State and Texas Tech.

Looks like Ted and James really appreciated Coach Bennett's honesty:

The honesty, along with the expertise, of the Virginia coaching staff made a big impression on Johnson.

"Coach Bennett was very direct and honest with James," said Ted Johnson. "He said I can't promise you the NBA and can't promise you playing time, but I can promise you that you will be better when you leave than when you came. Coach Bennett has had success with other players like James, and he doesn't see why James can't succeed either. The staff, facilities and program are there to help James reach his max as a player."

Source Link

He said I can't promise you the NBA and can't promise you playing time, but I can promise you that you will be better when you leave than when you came.."

That has too be the dumbest quote I ever heard. How many players become worse once intering college.

Coach Bennett has had success with other players like James, and he doesn't see why James can't succeed either. The staff, facilities and program are there to help James reach his max as a player."

Like who? well, not gonna be sour about it, but it's James's loss in my opinion. UVA is going nowhere fast and sad thing for James is that he's going to be a part of it. Would have been better off going to Okie State......nah, that's not true.

As for Ted Johnson, he sure has done alot of interviews lately. Seeing quotes from him, Torrel Harris, and Doron Lamb's dad make me really appreciate the stoic Tommy Griffin and the subtle Malaika Frazier. Also makes me have respect for guys like Gene Hansbrough and Ty Lawson's dad. These parents give their kids the tools to succeed, but let the kids have all the glory.

No offense to ABD, but he's not very saavy in following recruiting.

I feel bad for the folks who listen to your recruiting opinions... They think OU is going to sign the best class in the country and everyone you are always raving about goes elsewhere.

Atleast if you're a Juco guy, you could have given us Asprilla, a proven D1 player.

I would love to get Asprilla, but he seems like such a K-State lean.

Two mid major schools, Jacksonville State and Texas Tech.

Since when is Texas Tech a a mid-major?

Assuming Tiny comes back Goff would be 4th off the bench down low (Orlando, Tiny and Fitz would all be better).

Hmmmm, you have never seen Orlando, Fitz, or Goff play yet you go ahead and say those other guys will be better.

Kendall Durant isn't better than Releford, just my opinion but Releford as a back up for 3 years and a starter for one year would be more important than having Durant be a back up behind TMG for two years.

How do you know? Durant was going to Virginia Tech out of high school he just didnt have grades.. The only reason I know about him is because Tulsa is recruiting him right now. He seems like a good player to me.

JP would be behind Cade, Cameron and most likely Pledger and Willis, in fact I am pretty darn sure he would be behind Steve and Ray. Unless JP is another Pattilo in regards to ability which I really doubt.

JP would be a 3-4 guy in the regular rotation. Cade has been a 10 minutes per game guy so far and really hasnt shown he can do anything but hover around the 3pt line and wait for a shot.

Cameron, yes, im sure JP would be behind him and of course everyone would be thrilled if Cameron came here and OU had a guy like JP coming off the bench behind a big time player like that.

Maybe if we had more fans like BT and Sam who go out and support the team instead of these football shaft strokers and guys who like OU basketball right behind TT, Mizzou, and Colorado, we might land some of these cats.

Its my fault your compilation of high school all-stars are going other places now? lol

Most of the "top" targets from a month ago are gone... Cobbins, Pressey, Mccallum, Barnes, Cothron, Johnson, etc were all being discussed as legit targets..

I know OU will land good players.. but expect someone we dont know about and a juco or two.

I feel bad for the folks who listen to your recruiting opinions... They think OU is going to sign the best class in the country and everyone you are always raving about goes elsewhere.

I would love to get Asprilla, but he seems like such a K-State lean.

Since when is Texas Tech a a mid-major?

Hmmmm, you have never seen Orlando, Fitz, or Goff play yet you go ahead and say those other guys will be better.

How do you know? Durant was going to Virginia Tech out of high school he just didnt have grades.. The only reason I know about him is because Tulsa is recruiting him right now. He seems like a good player to me.

JP would be a 3-4 guy in the regular rotation. Cade has been a 10 minutes per game guy so far and really hasnt shown he can do anything but hover around the 3pt line and wait for a shot.

Cameron, yes, im sure JP would be behind him and of course everyone would be thrilled if Cameron came here and OU had a guy like JP coming off the bench behind a big time player like that.

Its my fault your compilation of high school all-stars are going other places now? lol

Most of the "top" targets from a month ago are gone... Cobbins, Pressey, Mccallum, Barnes, Cothron, Johnson, etc were all being discussed as legit targets..

I know OU will land good players.. but expect someone we dont know about and a juco or two.

:ez-roll: I'm laughin so hard I think I just peed myself.

This quote pretty much sums it up for you.

PREDICTION OF THE YEAR: The University of Colorado Buffaloes, led by head coach Jeff Bzdelik, will win at least six games in the Big 12 conference in 2009-2010. In doing so, BigTime must sport the avatar of my choosing for one month. In other words, BigTime will become KU's biggest fan, if only for a month.

BTW, when you have the season like Texas Tech and Colorado, then YES, you are a mid major.

Hmmm, I think abd gives a fair reality check. For one, the Juco guys we are in on could become useful role players and second outside of Releford and Cam Clark who do you all feel really good about right now in recruiting? I wouldn't be surprised if we land 2 great high school guys, but in the end we may be best served by taking a risk on a juco. It is certainly fair for abd to keep his hopes from getting too high. I think we can still get a monster class, but I wouldn't be upset with a solid class either.

Hmmm, I think abd gives a fair reality check. For one, the Juco guys we are in on could become useful role players and second outside of Releford and Cam Clark who do you all feel really good about right now in recruiting? I wouldn't be surprised if we land 2 great high school guys, but in the end we may be best served by taking a risk on a juco. It is certainly fair for abd to keep his hopes from getting too high. I think we can still get a monster class, but I wouldn't be upset with a solid class either.

We'll most definetely land a juco guy. If we land multiple ones, then this class is considered a failure(unless we get Barnes). The key to a good class that includes Jucos is the high school building blocks you put around them. TJ Taylor and Cam Clark with 3 juco guys is a horible class. TJ, Cam, top 150 Prep center, another 150-200 prep wing, plus a couple of juco role players would be very good. That class that ABD threw up there is a step backwards for OU, because we don't know if TJ or Cam would be Day 1 impact guys and we know that those JUCO delights won't be day 1 impact guys.

I've seen all three in person so that isn't true and I'm not just going off what I've seen. Orlanldo has consistently been praised for the improvement and will be a SR. Also with this being his 3rd year in the program so I'm going to give him over the edge as Goff isn't an Ace, Taj Gray etc quality juco.
Fitzgerald also has a skill set higher than Goff's right now and given the fact that Capel offered him a scholarship and Goff from all signs is still waiting on one, I'm gonna to trust Coach Capel on this one.
I suspect that Goff is gonna require an adjustment period ala Orlando or Kyle did last year to the work ethic and level of competition at the division one level. In regard to that Kyle Hadrick is gonna be ahead of him there as well.

Exactly Tulsa is recruiting him, this isn't the Tulsa of my youth and while they may get an occasional player who could play for OU (Jordan and Uzoh) the average TU recruit just isn't going to cut in comparison to what OU has been recruiting and other teams like KU and Texas.

Lets not forget about Ray Willis in this situation, Ray will be in his 3rd year here and with his size (6'6 with a good wing span) and if he continues to develops will be ahead of JP as well.
Also I'm assuming you're talking only about the offensive capabilities of Cade known at this time because he brings more to the table than just hovering around the 3 point line, he isn't Tim Heskett 2.0.

Then why are you projecting three jucos to come to OU? I agree at this point Goff looks like a likely possibility to give OU some size in 2010 but why are you writing off the entire possibility just to see some more Juco's in Crimson and Cream?

Then why are you projecting three jucos to come to OU? I agree at this point Goff looks like a likely possibility to give OU some size in 2010 but why are you writing off the entire possibility just to see some more Juco's in Crimson and Cream?

I don't even think OU has offered Durant or Goff. How can we project players that OU hasn't even offered. I don't even think at this point that Goff has an official scheduled. This means that if OU does offer these two so late in the game, that they are striking out on the recruiting trail.

I agree that class is worse than ideal, but the point is that the only reason you would consider it a failure would be that you had unreasonable expectations. I don't think abd would love the class he described, I just thing he values jucos differently and is a bit more pessimistic about our recruiting situation. Whether you like the class he describes or not it isn't as laughable as you are pretending it is which is the main point I was trying to make.

EDIT: well three jucos is a little offbase...

Last edited:

I don't even think OU has offered Durant or Goff. How can we project players that OU hasn't even offered. I don't even think at this point that Goff has an official scheduled. This means that if OU does offer these two so late in the game, that they are striking out on the recruiting trail.

OU has not offered Goff at this time. I also don't think that they are even recruiting the JUCO PG.

Back