James Johnson to Virginia

Kelvin could plug in just about any juco and get some production, but even in his last years at OU and his one year at Indiana, he experienced the talent drop off in the Juco ranks. I'm not sure Capel an emulate the success a Juco saavy guy like Kelvin did.

Then why are you projecting three jucos to come to OU?

Two seems very likely.. I doubt he takes 3 but Olukemi and Goff seem very possible.

Orlanldo has consistently been praised for the improvement and will be a SR.

Orlando averaged like 3 ppg in juco and didnt look like a d-1 player last year... Of course he is improving because he is losing weight and working hard, but im going to be really hesitant with him because he is a long ways away.

He also doesnt have anywhere near the athletic ability of Goff.

I also don't think that they are even recruiting the JUCO PG.

How can we project players that OU hasn't even offered.

Durant is just an example of the type of guard OU could take out of the juco ranks should another top target fall through. I am following him because of Tulsa so thats why I know about him.

Exactly Tulsa is recruiting him, this isn't the Tulsa of my youth and while they may get an occasional player who could play for OU (Jordan and Uzoh) the average TU recruit just isn't going to cut in comparison to what OU has been recruiting and other teams like KU and Texas.

The following players at Tulsa could play at OU:

Ben Uzoh, Jerome Jordan, Donte Medder, Bryson Pope, Scottie Haralson (transfer from UCONN), and DJ Magley (transfer from WKU).

Gonna be a long and disappointing year if Bryson Pope would play at OU.

Gonna be a long and disappointing year if Bryson Pope would play at OU.

Kyle Hardrick and Orlando Allen play at OU on scholarship, lets not act like only unreal players sign with OU, lol... Pope is higher rated than Cade Davis coming out of high school...

Bryson Pope (6'6'' 210)
-Tulsa World State Player of the Year
-Super Five team by the Daily Oklahoman
-Frontier Conference MVP
-Oklahoma Coaches Association All-State
-Tournament of Champions MVP

He needs some development but he is a really good athlete that can handle the ball and attack the rim. He shot about 40% from the 3pt line, has a great work ethic, and could potentially be a great defensive player for TU. Wojcik thinks he can guard 1-4 on the court.

sesamest_facepalm1.gif

Sam,

OU has 2 guys on scholarship that are questionable D-1 players, do they not?.. why does my comment get me the funny muppet gif?

What is the deal with this silly flame war? It seems like abd is being reasonable and making his case. You can disagree with him without being so dramatic about it DM and Sam.

If you are going to considering Orlando a questionable D-1 player I'll just let you keep believe that then when Orlando is a contributor this year I'll let you taste your foot.

On Kyle if Bryson is better than why didn't Capel tell Kyle last summer your not OU quality of whatever you want to call it and give the ship to Pope?

What is the deal with this silly flame war? It seems like abd is being reasonable and making his case. You can disagree with him without being so dramatic about it DM and Sam.

They will agree with me in a few weeks now that all their top prospects arent coming to OU like I said weeks ago and got blasted for. I mean, DM rips on me for talking about jucos but its Capel that continues to recruit them.

If you are going to considering Orlando a questionable D-1 player I'll just let you keep believe that then when Orlando is a contributor this year I'll let you taste your foot.

If you look at Orlando out of high school, out of junior college, and coming out of last season nobody in their right mind would think he is a high level D-1 player... I have heard of the improvement and it helps that he is 6'11'' 270 because if he just gets to the point of being adequate he can impact the game with his size.

I dont think anyone will question whether or not Pope is a D-1 player.

On Kyle if Bryson is better than why didn't Capel tell Kyle last summer your not OU quality of whatever you want to call it and give the ship to Pope?

Because Capel didnt want to back out on Hardrick... its bad local PR and he chose to honor the commitment to him.

Pope will just be one of those guys that down the road everyone will be like "why didnt OU recruit him?"... Lots of TU players have been that way, and Pope will just be the next local player that has OU and OSU fans wondering why they didnt recruit him. At least thats what im hoping for Tulsa.

They will agree with me in a few weeks now that all their top prospects arent coming to OU like I said weeks ago and got blasted for. I mean, DM rips on me for talking about jucos but its Capel that continues to recruit them.

Don't get me wrong I am certainly more optimistic about this class than you seem to be, but it isn't like what you are saying is totally insane the way sam and DM make it out to be. I feel like we will land Clark, potentially another impact high schooler, someone we haven't heard anything about and a juco. With the other scholarship being a ? for me, but a part of me thinks Honore might earn it (cue everyone jumping on me too).

Don't get me wrong I am certainly more optimistic about this class than you seem to be, but it isn't like what you are saying is totally insane the way sam and DM make it out to be. I feel like we will land Clark, potentially another impact high schooler, someone we haven't heard anything about and a juco. With the other scholarship being a ? for me, but a part of me thinks Honore might earn it (cue everyone jumping on me too).

I think OU will land Cameron Clark and TJ Taylor... those two guys alone make it a great class... But with 5 scholarships to give out I dont see why adding Goff and Olukemi make it a failure of a class.

Those two make it a good class and we at least have TJ on lock, add one of the other top prospects we are in on and it is a great class. If you take on of those guys away and replace him with a Juco your class looks worse. That I think is why they are scoffing at you?

If you look at Orlando out of high school, out of junior college, and coming out of last season nobody in their right mind would think he is a high level D-1 player... I have heard of the improvement and it helps that he is 6'11'' 270 because if he just gets to the point of being adequate he can impact the game with his size.
So Orlando in the span of two weeks has gone from you projecting him as a starter on a major division one program to you questioning if he is even a division one player.
http://ouhoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109779&postcount=2
So what has changed?
I guess your boy Doc Sadler must be out of his mind to think Orlando was a high D-1 player since he recruited Big O as well.
Seton Hall signed him out of High School but I guess the Big East isn't high D-1 quality.

I dont think anyone will question whether or not Pope is a D-1 player.

Because Capel didnt want to back out on Hardrick... its bad local PR and he chose to honor the commitment to him.

Pope will just be one of those guys that down the road everyone will be like "why didnt OU recruit him?"... Lots of TU players have been that way, and Pope will just be the next local player that has OU and OSU fans wondering why they didnt recruit him. At least thats what im hoping for Tulsa.
There is the key, you are hoping for TU he is that good and using that as the basis of your argument for why he should be a Sooner. Well people like me, DM and BT are hoping for the best recruits to become Sooners since well last year we did that. Signed two McDonald All Americans to go along with an additional two top 100 kids, along with a local 3 star. Sorry for doing the same thing you are, hoping for the best, based on the type of class we saw last year.

So Orlando in the span of two weeks has gone from you projecting him as a starter on a major division one program to you questioning if he is even a division one player.

Well, like you, I am hoping (as a fan) that he improves to the level of being a starter... But what I am saying is that outside of being 6'11'' he hasnt done much in high schoo, juco, or d-1 to suggest he is an impact player.

Well, like you, I am hoping (as a fan) that he improves to the level of being a starter... But what I am saying is that outside of being 6'11'' he hasnt done much in high schoo, juco, or d-1 to suggest he is an impact player.
Impact player or worthy of being division 1?

Correct me if I wrong but if Orlando had been at Nebraska last year, sat out for some reason and was projected as a starter wouldn't you be all over him?

This thread is lame.

Why does it seem that no one gets it? You go after the best players you can and see how many you can get. Thats what you do. If that doesn't work out, then you make decisions based on who is left. You don't target juco guys to sign because they have a chance to be rotation players. Seriously, is it hard to find a guy that can give you 10-12 minutes a game? I generally appreciate abd's contrarian point of view, but I don't get the obsession with over-valuing average players, just like I don't get his praise on the NBA board for teams acquiring guys like Zach Randolph or Carlos Delfino. Obtaining a competent player is not something that elevates a team.

That said, most of the other guys that are hating on abd in this thread are off too. It isn't "sign 5 top-100 guys or else" mentality either. Its great that we are in on so many talented players, and while I disagree with abd that it is unrealistic or naive to think OU could land multiple high-level recruits, just because they all like you and list you till the end doesn't mean you are guaranteed to sign even one of them. I think people around here are really setting themselves up for disappointment with Cameron Clark. Capel is doing everything right with him, and sure, things look promising. But the kid plays everything so close to the vest, no one really knows who the favorites are with him.

Everyone always thinks they know why we can or can't get certain players, but I don't think we are any more or less likely to get Cameron Clark than we are to get Terrance Jones, Doron Lamb, Josh Smith, Tobias Harris, Harrison Barnes or Ray McCallum. But you guys already have it all figured out...Jones and Smith aren't coming here from the west coast, Lamb and Harris aren't coming here from the east coast, Ray McCallum is scared to death of TMG and Harrison Barnes is just too good to want to play at OU. But Cam is from Texas, and he's good, but not too good, and his best friend in the whole world is TJ Taylor because they play AAU ball together, so he is more likely to come here.

Don't get me wrong, I know I am overstating things. But it isn't that far from being accurate. And I know how it is to follow recruiting...you can only know so much, so you get accustomed to reading certain signs to figure out what may happen. And as far as reading the terrain, of the 4 legit recruits from last season's class (excluding Hardrick), TMG is the only one anyone really saw coming. Coincidentally, he is the only one who was close regionally and seemed like he would step into a glaring area of need. Everyone seems pretty happy with those four guys, but no one took Gallon, Fitz or Pledger seriously, yet here they are.

I just think we should all take a deep breath and realize that just because the #99 ranked kid in the country chose Virginia doesn't mean the sky is falling or that anything has even changed at all. Capel has brought some pretty good players in the last three seasons and I'm sure he'll do just fine this year too. I think Capel may be of the opinion that it is better to have a few really good players than a lot of average ones. If so, I tend to agree with him.

Back