Jennie Baranczyk Named OU Head Coach

This is exciting, glad to have Jennie on board...

This comment is from an Iowa fan who posts on RebKell's Junkie Boards:

Wow! I hadn't heard this yet. She has done a great job at Drake, and whenever Iowa has a losing streak of a few games and the fans start to grumble about Bluder (not me!), Jennie B was often floated as a possible candidate. I wonder how/if this will affect recruiting in the state of Iowa, and if any of Jennie B's current commits will follow her to OK. This years Iowa High School Miss Basketball, for example, had committed to Drake.

I hope it works out for her and Oklahoma

The last Iowa grad who came to OU as a head coach worked out pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard Coach!!! Return us to glory.....

lots to like looking at her back ground and the job she has done as the head coach at a mid major, 6 straight (would of been 7) if not for covid post seasons with 3 of those being in the NCAA tournament. Look forward to seeing what she can do with some more resources being at a power 5 program now.

Last edited:
Let's go! Time for good things to start happening! We will renew our season tickets for sure.

Under coaches. It lists her. Amanda Thompson( grad assistant/intern) and Ethan Burton(Video). No other coaches listed.

Great news! Welcome to Oklahoma, Norman, OU, and LNC. Really looking forward OU Women’s Basketball.

Jennie Baranczyk from a 2018 interview:

Favorite summer activity: "Bulldog Girls Basketball Camps"

This may sound crazy but I think the new men's basketball coach helped recruit Jennie to OU. They most likely new each other in the MVC circles.

Her assistants at Drake were Pohlman(Interim Coach) Markisha Wright and Nicci Hays Fort. All three are listed for 2021-2022. Not sure if she is bringing anyone. I guess we will know next week.

I am excited about this hire.

OU was going nowhere anymore with Coale, I hope this new blood ignites the program.

I too am excited about the hire. But was as curious what the style we can expect to get from Jennie as she begins her career as the Sooners' WBB coach. Hence I looked at her last 5 years scoring averages, scoring defense and scoring margin and how those numbers ranked nationally in Division 1.

Her scoring average for 2016-2021 was 79.6 p/g ranked #9, 82.2 ranked #9, 82.4 ranked #8, 80.5 ranked #10, 82/6 ranked #5 and 76.2 ranked #22. Her scoring defense was 67.3 ranked #243, 64.4 ranked #175, 67.4 ranked #227, 66.6 ranked #224, 70.2 ranked #295 and 69.6 ranked #253. Her scoring margin was 12.3 ranked #24, 17.8 ranked #10, 15.0 ranked #16, 13.9 ranked #20, 12.4 ranked #29 and 6.8 ranked #67.

Her averages were scoring #10.5, scoring defense #236.2 and scoring margin #27.6. But the scoring margin is rather distorted by the 2021 ranking of 67. Otherwise her scoring margin for the other years was 19.8.

It appears her focus is on the offense much more so than on the defense but her defense appears more than adequate for her to consistently ranking very high in margin of victory relative to her per universities. I am hopeful her transition to the Big 12 will increase her focus on the defense but that is yet to be determined. JMHO.

From my perspective a potential top 10 scoring offense with a potential top 20 margin of victory would be more than a major improvement. Hopefully Jennie can eventually get us close to those numbers at OU.

Last edited:
Back