John Wall to.....

SoonerBackInOKC

Reaction score
the NBA? It may happen if they can find a "loop-hole"

John Wall Eligible for 2009 Draft?

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said that if high school phenom John Wall applies for 2009 draft eligibility, as he is rumored to be considering, the NBA will do its "due diligence to determine his eligibility." Wall has not yet applied for early entry, according to Frank.

Earlier, ESPN's Chad Ford unleashed a scoop of sorts in a chat: Wall, widely considered the favorite to be No. 1 pick in 2010, could be eligible for the 2009 NBA draft. Ford reports Wall's camp is considering the jump. The collective bargaining agreement is gray on this matter, but the relevant section indicates Wall has a case for eligibility, despite the 2005 rule effectively barring high school-to-NBA leaps.

Along with declaring his eligibility in writing by April 26, Wall would have to meet this qualification from Article 10 of the 2005 CBA:

The player (A) is or will be at least 19 years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held, and (B) with respect to a player who is not an international player (defined below), at least one (1) NBA Season has elapsed since the player's graduation from high school (or, if the player did not graduate from high school, since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school);

Wall turns 19 in September, so he meets that. The question revolves around whether Wall, as a fifth-year high school senior, qualifies as a player a year out from his class' graduation. Or, at what point did or does Wall become part of the graduating class of 2009 versus the graduating class of 2008? Is this set upon entering high school? Because Wall did not graduate last year but took high school classes this year, does that make him a part of the class of 2009 in a legal sense?

Those will be questions the NBA and/or a judge answers. In the meantime, teams near the bottom of the NBA standings will be salivating at the thought of getting Wall in June.

I remember the same issue with Riek last year. There are loopholes, and I bet he will be able to slide through.

I believe Walker from KSU thought about testing that loop-hole as well. In Oklahoma City Public Schools, I believe he would be considered a part of the graduating class of 2008. From what my wife has told me, the tracking starts your freshman year. Graduation rates that the state uses to put schools on improvement lists are how many Sr.'s graduated from that Fr. class. So, at least in Oklahoma, I think he would be considered an '08 graduate. If the loop-hole works, we might see a bunch of 20 year-old high school seniors.

This could have an impact on where Blake goes.

If he can go to the NBA he should. With how weak the perception of the draft is this year, he will easily be a top 5 pick, maybe top 3.

"Wall, widely considered the favorite to be No. 1 pick in 2010"

Putting the cart before the horse...

I haven't seen wall play, but who is better, him or rubio?

I haven't seen wall play, but who is better, him or rubio?

Wall is a special player, needs to work on his jumper similar to derrick rose but I doubt any team would have rubio higher on their draft board over wall unless theyre the Hornets or the Knicks.

This could have an impact on where Blake goes.

Not a chance.

This could set a precedent for future players too. I think--and I think many college coaches agree with me--that it should be two years out of high school.

I think it would greatly improve the college game, as well as helping NBA teams avoid the risk of drafting a kid that they've only seen for a year. I mean, I know scouts can see the potential in everyone, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to see them against top competition.

They should do it like baseball. You can be drafted straight out of high school (for the elite prospects that should not have to wait on the NBA), but if you go to college, then you have to stay for 2 or 3 years.

They should do it like baseball. You can be drafted straight out of high school (for the elite prospects that should not have to wait on the NBA), but if you go to college, then you have to stay for 2 or 3 years.

Doesn't baseball have a provision for allowing you to attend college if you aren't drafted as high as you would like - similar to basketball players who don't sign with an agent?

Its not outside the realm of possiblity that a team thinks he will be an all-star point guard and draft him ahead of Blake.

Blake is the better prospect. Not every day you can get a PF that forces doubles. I think if you're Jordan Hill, Thabeet, and that bunch, you need to be concerned.

Blake is the better prospect. Not every day you can get a PF that forces doubles. I think if you're Jordan Hill, Thabeet, and that bunch, you need to be concerned.

Blake won't force doubles in the NBA, at least not on a consistent basis as apart of gameplans.

If he doesn't get them, he'll have a long career. You're correct, that in the NBA, they don't double team every play because complimentary players are too good. But Playoff time you see more guys getting double. Blake will be an all star by year three if he goes to the right team. Wall is very good, but he has to adjust to alot of stuff before he's an all star.

If he doesn't get them, he'll have a long career. You're correct, that in the NBA, they don't double team every play because complimentary players are too good. But Playoff time you see more guys getting double. Blake will be an all star by year three if he goes to the right team. Wall is very good, but he has to adjust to alot of stuff before he's an all star.
Wall will be an All-star by year three if he goes to the right team. It goes both ways.
You and I have disagreed on Wall all year though.

We have? I like Wall. I just don't think he will be as valuable as a go to Power foward cut from the same mold as Stoudamire and Howard and I don't think his all around game is on par with what Xavier Henry can do as far as having the potential to be a superstar SG ala James, Wade, Kobe. I think he's a hell of a player and the best pro prospect outside of those two guys. He's Derrick Rose. Might be more explosive.

Its not outside the realm of possiblity that a team thinks he will be an all-star point guard and draft him ahead of Blake.

I agree. See last years draft if you don't believe it.

Back