JUCO Players Update

You just don't redshirt Juco players. Its going to be Spangler, M'Baye and Neal, and Clark in the post next year.

Neal is not going to play the post next year. Heck, Clark might not either with our current roster.

In 2 years it will be hard to remember we had marginal talent like Fitz, Grooms, and Neal on our roster. Fitz and Grooms will be easily replaced next year (Bennett, Elliott, Hamilton, Henry, or whoever for Fitz and Woodard for Grooms) and Neal will struggle to find the floor next season.

Osby will be a tough loss but I think Spangler will prove to be another shining example of how poor our coaching was prior to Krugers arrival. People will ask over and over why anyone in their right mind wouldn't offer this kid out of HS.

No one knows what next year will look like but I think most people with any sense should see we won't miss Fitz next year.

+1

Arent is a juco player that is sitting the bench as a senior. Bennett is redshirting as a juco player. Those aren't the guys winning us games right now.

How much time did Kruger have to recruit Arent? Have a little faith, be positive. It can't possibly hurt.

ouch, calling me out medschool boy? haha

call it efficient time management. Keeping an excel spreadsheet with these guys stats is super easy and quick to add a game or two when I check in and then give y'all the update.

Don't normally chat recap but came back from lunch and had just enough time before a meeting to not start a new project so figured I would just recap it real quick for everyone

Touche, checking these websites is the only thing that keeps me sane haha

How much time did Kruger have to recruit Arent? Have a little faith, be positive. It can't possibly hurt.

I'm Sorry, but if Bennett wasn't redshirting, he would be seeing about the exact same amount of minutes he is getting right now. He may get more than 5 mpg, he may not next season...either way, since most players his size don't average over 2 blocks per game...I could care less about his shot blocking ability. I've watched him practice...Not Impressed.

You guys have a lot of faith in guys that are redshirting when they wouldn't be getting very many minutes this season. Spangler would be a bench warmer on Gonzagas team this season just like last season. If Arent was redshirting right now, you guys would be talking about how good he would be next season. Don't get me wrong, I think Spangler is going to be similar to Taylor Griffin, but these juco guys arent impressing me though.

I'm Sorry, but if Bennett wasn't redshirting, he would be seeing about the exact same amount of minutes he is getting right now. He may get more than 5 mpg, he may not next season...either way, since most players his size don't average over 2 blocks per game...I could care less about his shot blocking ability. I've watched him practice...Not Impressed.

You guys have a lot of faith in guys that are redshirting when they wouldn't be getting very many minutes this season. Spangler would be a bench warmer on Gonzagas team this season just like last season. If Arent was redshirting right now, you guys would be talking about how good he would be next season. Don't get me wrong, I think Spangler is going to be similar to Taylor Griffin, but these juco guys arent impressing me though.

This has to be the only fanbase that entertains the thought of Jucos coming in to be huge impact players. Fact of the matter is you reach into the juco ranks to find players to fill in holes that you have on your roster. OU signed Three Juco bigs because we can't get any high school ones.

This has to be the only fanbase that entertains the thought of Jucos coming in to be huge impact players. Fact of the matter is you reach into the juco ranks to find players to fill in holes that you have on your roster. OU signed Three Juco bigs because we can't get any high school ones.

Who has said Bennett is going to be a huge impact next season? I think most people on this board with any sense have said, with a year of working on his game and adding bulk and muscle, Bennett will be a nice option inside off the bench. I do believe, because of his length and athletic ability, he will be able to impact our games more next season than Fitz does this year but that really isnt saying much. Regardless of what anybody says, Bennett does provide a valuable skill lacking on this team and that is shot-blocking. How good he really is, we will have to wait and see.

Forgive me if I hold Lon's(multi year proven success as a coach) opinion in a smidge higher regard than yours(message board guy) concerning our jucos. Beyond that, you really had me at Fitz is a baller and could start on a final four team...

Forgive me if I hold Lon's(multi year proven success as a coach) opinion in a smidge higher regard than yours(message board guy) concerning our jucos. Beyond that, you really had me at Fitz is a baller and could start on a final four team...

If your talking about me stating Fitz could start for KU this season...I still stand by that. Kevin Young sucks. I'm sorry, I watch all of KU's games and he's terrible. Young starts b/c Self has done a poor job of filling up his roster. M'Baye or Osby, whomever he guards should put up good numbers.

As for Lon's opinion towards his juco recruits...He has started 2 freshmen over Grooms this year, and Arent and Bennett are averaging about the same amount of playing time and one of them is redshirting.

DM is correct...Lon isn't landing any big men recruits out of high school. I still hope we land Randle...but I doubt we do.

If your talking about me stating Fitz could start for KU this season...I still stand by that.

So somebody did actually say that? Wow! I missed that. Sorry but you lost me. That is one of the silliest things anybody has ever posted on this board. The are few teams Fitz could start for in Conference USA let alone the #2 team in the country.

In essence, you are saying one of 2 things. 1. Fitz should be starting for us instead of being our 2nd big off the bench or 2. Our bigs are a lot better than KUs bigs.

Last edited:
So somebody did actually say that? Wow! I missed that. Sorry but you lost me. That is one of the silliest things anybody has ever posted on this board. The are few teams Fitz could start for in Conference USA let alone the #2 team in the country.

In essence, you are saying one of 2 things. 1. Fitz should be starting for us instead of being our 2nd big off the bench or 2. Our bigs are a lot better than KUs bigs.

Our Bigs are better than KU Bigs as a whole. They have Withey and thats it. Ellis will be good in a couple of years but thats a couple of years. Their 2 bigs coming off the bench are averaging a combined 5ppg. Thats what Fitz is averaging.

Lets not forget...the last 3 games OU has played KU, Fitz has averaged 13.7ppg

Our Bigs are better than KU Bigs as a whole. They have Withey and thats it. Ellis will be good in a couple of years but thats a couple of years. Their 2 bigs coming off the bench are averaging a combined 5ppg. Thats what Fitz is averaging.

Lets not forget...the last 3 games OU has played KU, Fitz has averaged 13.7ppg

What Fitz did in the last 3 games against KU really doesn't matter. As average as he is, he was pretty much all we had. He wouldn't start for them at any point. I imagine Self would go with a 4 guard + Withey lineup over starting an unathletic poor rebounding 4 like Fitz. Personally, I would take Young AND Ellis over Fitz.

All this said, as ridiculous as it sounds, I hope you are right. We'll see on Saturday.

I think DJ Bennett will be a solid player next year and will have a chance to start next to M'Baye. I like what I saw from him in the early practices. He seems like a bright guy and I hope he is able to put some weight during this redshirt year.

I would expect Spangler to start but, yes, 'solid' is what I expect from Bennett and at least one of the JC transfers.

I do need to say, I do truly hope that Bennett, Ellis, and Hamilton become solid players here...I just don't think it will happen. There just aren't any Taj Greys out there anymore.

I do need to say, I do truly hope that Bennett, Ellis, and Hamilton become solid players here...I just don't think it will happen. There just aren't any Taj Greys out there anymore.

That's just it though, LK didn't recruit them to be Taj Gray. IMO, he recruited them to be Johnny Gilbert. Or Szeindre(sp). Somebody that can be a 3rd or 4th big man on a solid ball club. Someone that can rebound, defend, and make the easy shots.

That's just it though, LK didn't recruit them to be Taj Gray. IMO, he recruited them to be Johnny Gilbert. Or Szeindre(sp). Somebody that can be a 3rd or 4th big man on a solid ball club. Someone that can rebound, defend, and make the easy shots.

Need more guys like Osby, no sense in recruiting a guy to be 4th.

Need more guys like Osby, no sense in recruiting a guy to be 4th.

Wrong.

OU can't recruit a roster that has 3-4 Osby's on it, to fill out or post rotation. They've maybe never had that kind of talent on the same roster. You have to have guys that are fine with backup roles, and will do the things that a 4th big needs to do. I'd think OU would understand that after the past few seasons.

Yes, at some point we need to recruit another Osby to start. I don't think anybody disagrees with you on that. Doesn't mean we have to stop building a complete roster now though. I'm glad LK understands that. Our last coach did not.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong recruiting a player with the understanding that they may never be anything but a role player. Sampson was great at this. He didn't add stars to his roster. He added pieces and trusted his coaching to put them together. I think that is the approach we will see Kruger use. The backbone of any good basketball program are HS kids but he will mix in JC and D1 transfers to fill roles or, in a few cases, become major contributors.

Back