Kansas-Tennessee

Sooner23

Reaction score
Tied at 33 at the half. I really like Tennessee's athletes. Aside from the point guard (Bobby Maze), it's just a bunch of 6-6 to 6-9 athletes who play pretty good defense and are pretty versatile on offense. Good game so far.

I'm thinking that of all the games today, this one probably has the best chance of a brawl breaking out.

How many players are they(Tenn) playing with because didn't 4 get suspended?

How many players are they(Tenn) playing with because didn't 4 get suspended?

There are four of them. One (Tyler Smith) was a starter and the rest came off the bench (I think). CBS had a graphic that said the four attributed for something like 34 percent of the teams' scoring.

Vols by 6 now with 12 to go.

B Maze is putting on for Tennessee.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrrFSYO_WA[/ame]

There are four of them. One (Tyler Smith) was a starter and the rest came off the bench (I think). CBS had a graphic that said the four attributed for something like 34 percent of the teams' scoring.

Thanks for the info!

Remind me again what Bobby Maze did that was so bad that coach ran him off.

Vols win!

I think we can all agree that this is good news for KU.

Vols win!

I think we can all agree that this is good news for KU.

losing on the road to a team with only six scholarship players is always good news. Especially when the two best players- Chism and Prince- were sitting on the bench with 4 fouls for a good chunk of the 2nd half.

Self had one of the Morris twins isolated on Bruce Pearl's son- 6'5" walk-on- for a lot of the 2nd half and inexplicably failed to take advantage of that match-up. I never understand that stuff. I see college coaches fail to do that a lot.

Forgot to post this Maze article this morning. Seems to fit, since he got it.

Bobby Maze wants little more than to say he played for a team that beat the Kansas Jayhawks.

Maze had two chances in 2007 during his freshman year at Oklahoma, but the Jayhawks won 67-65 in Norman, Okla., and 64-47 at the Big 12 Tournament.

Maze then left Oklahoma for one outstanding year at Hutchinson Community College, where he became one of the school's greatest point guards. He was the Jayhawk West player of the year and wowed crowds across the state with his crisp passing and deft ball handling.

By transferring from HCC to Tennessee, Maze knew he would get two more cracks at Kansas. The first one went just like those games when Maze was at Oklahoma. While Maze played well with 14 points last Jan. 4, Kansas won 92-85 in Lawrence.

Now a senior guard for the 16th-ranked Volunteers, Maze has one more chance to beat Kansas when the nation's top-ranked team visits Knoxville for a 3:30 p.m. game today.

"I'm 0-3 against Kansas," Maze said. "I need a win against Kansas."

Maze said today's game has been the talk of the campus. It may not be as big as the game two years ago when No. 2 Tennessee beat No. 1 Memphis, but that game was in Memphis. This one will be played in the orange confines of Thompson-Boling Arena.

"Everyone's talking about this game," Maze said. "Ever since we lost to them last year, people have been telling us, 'You'll get them at home next year.'

"I don't remember playing a No. 1 team in the nation since I've been in college."

Tennessee (11-2) will be short-handed today. Friday, coach Bruce Pearl kicked leading scorer, senior guard Tyler Smith, off the team. Smith was one of four Vols who were arrested New Year's Day on misdemeanor drug and weapons charges in Knoxville. Smith was initially suspended, as were forwards Brian Williams and Cameron Tatum, plus point guard Melvin Goins. Those three will not play today either.

Tennessee didn't need those three Wedensday against a good Charlotte team. Helped by 13 points from Maze, the Volunteers won 88-71.

"One thing that benefits this team is our depth," Maze said. "All those guys were top-100 (rated recruits). Playing against those guys only made all of us better. They defended All-Americans every day, which prepared us for the Charlotte game."

Maze has been solid this season, averaging 7.9 points and 2.9 assists a game. His production will likely increase with the suspensions.

Today, he will match up against Kansas senior Sherron Collins. As freshmen, Maze blanketed Collins in Norman and held Collins scoreless, but Collins had 26 points last season. Wednesday, Collins had a career-high 33 points against Cornell.

"Sherron Collins is a tremendous point guard," Maze said. "He's fast, he's a leader and he can really handle the ball. But what's most important is he was playing behind Mario Chalmers, and he won a national championship and played two years in the NBA. Now Kansas is the No. 1 team in the country, and anyone who is the point guard for the No. 1 team is a terrific point guard."

Maze hasn't been bad himself in his college career. In three years in the NCAA, Maze has averaged 7.3 points, 2.8 assists and 2.3 rebounds a game.

He credits his one year at Hutchinson, where he averaged 20.8 points and 6.8 assists a game for coach Ryan Swanson, with part of his success at Tennessee."We get up and down the floor and press, kind of like what I played at Hutchinson," Maze said. "It benefited me playing for coach Swanson, but my one year at Oklahoma helped me tremendously.

http://www.hutchnews.com/Sports/dragonmaze

losing on the road to a team with only six scholarship players is always good news. Especially when the two best players- Chism and Prince- were sitting on the bench with 4 fouls for a good chunk of the 2nd half.

kansas has a history of losing to teams with six scholarship players (see: Bucknell).

KU you needed a loss. Now they can focus again.

Back