Kids Stepping Up

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Syb, I couldn't help but notice your comment in another thread that it is to bad we don't have whit, KK and Maddie. While this is true, isn't it funny how kids step up and play better than they have previously when a kid ahead of them on the depth chart goes down with an injury.

You see it all the time in every sport. How many times have you said, "where has that kid been".

Truthfully, did anyone believe Sharane or Jo would or could play as well as they have since Whit and Maddie went down? I didn't. They have just played terrific. I liked both kids but just didn't see them playing as well as they have.

I have often wondered about this situation and how it happens. Who knows, but I think some kids just "defer" to other kids due to their personality, but when faced with the duty to be responsible for winning or losing, take on a different personality when they play.

My dad was a coach and then for many years a school administrator. He hired 100s of coaches in the various sports played at the high school level. He used to tell me that he thought the biggest weakness he saw in most coaches was, ironically, that they didn't understand the talents of the kids they coached. Sort of a "too close to the situation and couldn't see the trees for the forest" situation. In other words, he thought when you saw a backup "break out", it was usually not the kid being different but just an example of a coach not really seeing talent at an earlier time. (and this isn't said to bash Sherri -- I think she is terrific and wouldn't trade her).

I don't know. But whatever the reason, Sharane and Jo stepped up their games when we needed it and played better than I thought they could.

There is a lot to what you say. I'm not sure that this is what happened in this case. I rather thought that Jo began to step up in the playoffs a couple of years ago, like when the Miami coach thuught her boardwork beat them. She was beginning to shoot pretty well when she was injured last year. I think it has just taken her some time to re-establish her wheels on the track once again.

Sharane is a bit different. I have a fondness for Sharane due to her major. I like chem majors like Jo and zoology majors like Sharane. But, I thought Sharane actually had a bit of a sophomore slump this year. I think she is better than what we have seen this year. I'm looking forward to Sharane's year next year.

I have seen the injury thing be very important. As a Cardinal fan, I have never forgotten the emergence of Nelson Briles to help the Cards to a title. I'm not so sure that Jamelle Holieway's success as a freshman wasn't due to that.

But, I think this team was forced to change what would have been its personality when it had all those early injuries. A deep and talented bench suddenly was depleted, preventing what I thought would be a running offense and defense.

Jo was coming on strong before her jaw injury. Coming back from that she was very reticent to get in there and mix it up- so fearful of being injured again. I am sure that Sherri worked with her on her regaining confidence - and now we are seeing the old Jo - she had it all along. Sharanne is developing and maturing - on a natural glide path to greatness in the future.

Jo was coming on strong before her jaw injury. Coming back from that she was very reticent to get in there and mix it up- so fearful of being injured again. I am sure that Sherri worked with her on her regaining confidence - and now we are seeing the old Jo - she had it all along. Sharanne is developing and maturing - on a natural glide path to greatness in the future.
Actually, Joanna was underperforming this year, and had lost her starting position. Her makeover into the double-double beast that she has become seems to be directly related to some inner decision after Whitney's injury. She's even commented on it - words to the effect that "Someone needs to step up. It might as well be me".

I also think that Sharane has been in a sophomore slump. Considering her outstanding freshman year I thought she would take a big step up both offensively and defensively. It hasnt happened although she has been serviceable. Kornet has done fairly well, but I really miss having had Manning's contribution available. She loses a year's eligibility and doesnt get the year's experience.

I also think that Sharane has been in a sophomore slump. Considering her outstanding freshman year I thought she would take a big step up both offensively and defensively. It hasnt happened although she has been serviceable. Kornet has done fairly well, but I really miss having had Manning's contribution available. She loses a year's eligibility and doesnt get the year's experience.
I feel pretty confident that she'll be awarded a hardship extra year.

Back