KState suprise visitors?

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
I know TJ Taylor is coming in, but would OU just bring in one player for a visit weekend? Especially a committed player? How does that work. I suspect they bring in someone else.

I was wondering that myself...

Haven't heard anything on the recruiting front in a while...

Henzo has been kinda quiet. I bet he has some news for us by Sunday night.

We may be getting ahead of ourselves. None of this seems like proof of anything.

Henzo has been kinda quiet. I bet he has some news for us by Sunday night.

I don't think there is anything for Henzo to report right now. OU has fired their shots and is now playing the waiting game. T.J. is going to get his royal treatment this weekend, and will get a chance to hang with his future teammates.

I really don't see OU making any real moves until some of their top targets (Jones, Lamb, Barnes, McCallum, Smith, Ziegler) make a move.

I hope that's not the case. You can never stop recruiting. If they have, maybe that's an indication of a silent commit.

I hope that's not the case. You can never stop recruiting. If they have, maybe that's an indication of a silent commit.

I don't think they have stopped by any means, but there is only so much you can do (certain number of contacts allowed etc...). The bad news about this year is that it appears to be a down year for JUCO talent and there is not Oklahoma talent in this class.

Edit: By Oklahoma talent, I mean kids from the state of Oklahoma in the 2010 class good enough to play for OU.

Last edited:
Best Juco guys are already committed Waite and Fredrickson may have been best two.

So going by what we know from this board, OU's primary targets targets are Jones, Lamb, Zeigler, McCallum, and Barnes. Their secondary targets are Horford, Ross Miller,Kendricks, Goff, and maybe Jelani Hewitt. I highly suspect theirs someone we don't know about and Jeff Capel is infamous for bringing in a guy, under the radar, for a visit.

What is a silent commit? It seems to me a guy either tells the coach his committed and coming to OU or you cannot be certain.

A silent commit is a player that knows what school he's going to, the coach knows he's coming, but the player continues to be publicly recruited. Alot of people believe Josh Smith is a silent commit to UCLA. Jeff Capel knew Willie Warren was one to Arkansas until Heath got let go.

A silent commit is a player that knows what school he's going to, the coach knows he's coming, but the player continues to be publicly recruited. Alot of people believe Josh Smith is a silent commit to UCLA. Jeff Capel knew Willie Warren was one to Arkansas until Heath got let go.

:ez-roll: A silent commit, if there is such a thing, is worth nothing. Why in the world would a kid give OU a "silent commit"? What possible reasoning would their be?
If Warren was a silent commit to Arkansas a lot of good that did Arkansas. LOL.

Last edited:
:ez-roll: A silent commit, if there is such a thing, is worth nothing. Why in the world would a kid give OU a "silent commit"? What possible reasoning would their be?

You know Warren's silent commit is public knowledge?

You know Warren's silent commit is public knowledge?

You know Warren plays for Oklahoma?
My point is a silent commit, if they happen, mean nothing.

Why in the world would a kid make a silent commitment to a school and then keep visiting other schools? Sounds like he hoodwinked Arkansas.

You know Warren plays for Oklahoma?
My point is a silent commit, if they happen, mean nothing.

Why in the world would a kid make a silent commitment to a school and then keep visiting other schools? Sounds like he hoodwinked Arkansas.

You know the coach that recruited him for Arkansas coaches at Oklahoma?

I agree with the point Cheno is making. I really don't think there is such a thing as a silent commit but, if there is, it is so rare you might as well say there is no such thing.

I agree with the point Cheno is making. I really don't think there is such a thing as a silent commit but, if there is, it is so rare you might as well say there is no such thing.

From statement Coach Capel made, he was not going to recruit Willie Warren as a silent commit. He knew Warren was a silent to Arkansas. This subject is more interesting in regards to the recent revelations of Kyre Irving who many believed was a silent commit to Duke.

Kyrie Irving owe Adam Zagoria an apology?
By Eamonn Brennan

Kyrie Irving is a top recruit that just committed to Duke. Adam Zagoria is the reporter who broke Irving's final commitment two days prior to Irving's official announcement, which was set to take place live on ESPNU. Recruitniks had assumed Irving was planning on heading to Duke for a while, but Zagoria's reporting seemed to make it official, and Irving was not pleased: He denied the decision and said he was still mulling things over, and, oh yeah, he'd let you know in two days on ESPNU.

Naturally, Irving chose Duke, and his refutation of Zagoria's story ended up being for no other reason than to push people to watch the ESPNU announcement. Clever marketing. Also kind of mean. So fellow reporters Seth Davis and Gary Parrish have come to an agreement: Irving needs to apologize.

From Davis:

Make no mistake: Kyrie Irving is worth the hype. He is the best guard Duke has recruited since Jay Williams, and he is a terrific student to boot. But since he has been playing the media game so deftly, he should do what a real media organization is supposed to do when it publishes something that's wrong: He should issue a correction. At the very least, he should apologize to Adam Zagoria. Unlike Kyrie, he got the story right.

From Parrish:

(Note: Credit SNY's Adam Zagoria with the scoop. He had this nailed two days ago, wrote it and had to deal with Irving refuting his story publicly . As a journalist, I can tell you there's nothing more frustrating than having an accurate story refuted. So it was nice to see Zagoria vindicated, and Irving probably owes him an apology via Twitter, at least.)

Rush the Court has an interview with Zagoria, and it's clear Adam isn't looking for any pity, so all's probably forgiven. And come on: Irving's not going to apologize. Still, it is a bit of a jerk move. Zagoria found information (that wasn't exactly a well-kept secret anymore anyway), confirmed it, and published it. In other words, he did his job. Irving has plenty of time in his career to host press conferences; getting mad at Zagoria for "ruining" this one seems incredibly short-sighted. But 18-year-olds can be shortsighted sometimes, I guess.

From statement Coach Capel made, he was not going to recruit Willie Warren as a silent commit. He knew Warren was a silent to Arkansas. This subject is more interesting in regards to the recent revelations of Kyre Irving who many believed was a silent commit to Duke.
To me, it's not silent if other coaches know about it.

There are things we aren't privy to as fans. We only know so much that coaches dont. Texas A&M landed Derrick Roland and Sloan late in the fall signing period. OU was recruiting both. They almost landed Byron Eaton the year before. Now I had no idea who Sloan or Roland were as far as being national recruits, but I knew they were going to Texas A&M long before their visits to OU. How did I know? because the coach that they were a package deal with told me. There's alot of things that we as fans don't know that the coaching circle does. Alot of these coaches are friends and know who's going where. I have no doubt that if OU misses on Lamb and Jones, they have kids ready to commit instantly. As far as the kids are concerned, some don't publicly commit so they can get a tv appearance out of it, some don't do it so they can visit campuses, some just don't do it because they aren't good at publicly committing to something. But it happens. It happens all the time.

Everything you posted about Irving and Duke says nothing about a silent commit. Same with your Roland/Sloan story. That was just where the kids were leaning. That doesn't mean they were silent commits. You here all the time about kids that are probably going to a school, that doesn't mean they have a silent commit.

Now I had no idea who Sloan or Roland were as far as being national recruits, but I knew they were going to Texas A&M long before their visits to OU. How did I know? because the coach that they were a package deal with told me.
Great, their coach had a strong feeling where they were going. That doesn't mean A&M knew 100% for sure and had a silent commit.

I have no doubt that if OU misses on Lamb and Jones, they have kids ready to commit instantly.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. But that's not a silent commit either. To commit you must have an offer. A lesser kid is willing to wait on an OU offer.

You know the coach that recruited him for Arkansas coaches at Oklahoma?
So you think Capel is taking silent commits but not having them commit in case he jumps ship? Well I certainly hope not. If so we got bigger problems.
I think Capel is here for the long haul unless Duke comes open. At least I hope so.
In your Coach T/Willie Warren story I could see Coach T saying "hey there is a strong possibility I'm moving on next year...hold on from committing a bit".
I certainly don't see that as what Coach Capel is doing at OU.

I silent commit is just the name for that type of situation. When a player has basically decided that he would like to go to that school as long as nothing changes.

Yes, it doesnt mean a lot. But thats just what it is called. It's not a big deal. Not worth arguing about.

Back