Legalization of Mugging drivers rule

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Interesting discussion on one of the highlight shows (the one with Seth Davis and Gillian) about the new rule this year that is being grossly misapplied and misinterpreted by officials. Apparently, this year you can challenge shots inside the arc, so long as both feet are airborne and you stay vertical. According to these guys, this was suppose to still require you to have position and not change preexisting rules on physical contact.

However, they say officials are construing this to allow an absolute mugging of anyone driving into the lane. Guys are just standing under the rim and assaulting anyone driving to the basket. They said Kansas is being allowed to turn the last few minutes of each game into a blood sport. Showed a couple plays at the end of the Baylor game that were absolutely absurd, where criminal assaults on Baylor players were not called. These were far worse than personal fouls. On one, the Kansas center literally bulldozed a guard from the kids left and stomped down on his with both arms, knocking him to the ground, Kansas then scored on a run out.

Doo and Manek had late game muggings at the rim and Trae is being put on the floor every trip inside the arc. I think we need to start doing this. We could use Polla this way. Post him under the rim and have him just put any kid that comes in there on their back.

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does with this rule change as the talking heads begin to discuss it and kids start getting hurt.

Wait. You are telling me refs let KU mug at the end of a close game at AFH? Sorry, that just sounds difficult to believe.

Seriously though I get your point. You should be allowed to challenge no matter where you are but a foul is still a foul. Seems like perhaps refs are either confused or in your example perhaps there is still a money slot in the refs locker room door at AFH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back