Lon Kruger on time and task: 'We’ve got to get the bar back up where it was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article, thanks for sharing, Tulsa! Interesting to hear directly from Lon, but also a great job by Guerin dispelling some of the lazy myths about Kruger. Nothing is sillier than all the fans who think that because he doesn't rant and rave on the sideline, he isn't as competitive as the more demonstrative coaches.

Appreciate the kind words.

Love the Tulsa World OU coverage. You guys are the best by far. Guerin is awesome too, I follow him on twitter.

Thanks! Guerin is also very good about responding to readers on twitter if you ever have any questions/comments/etc

Thanks! Guerin is also very good about responding to readers on twitter if you ever have any questions/comments/etc

Yes! He has responded to me a number of times during games.

Contrast that to the DOK guys and it's night and day. Kersey (when he worked for the DOK) blocked me once because some other person called him a "douche canoe" and I simply asked "what is that" (i'm too old I guess...LOL).:ez-laugh:

Qualified? Hardly. He coached one year at Northern Arizona, and then immediately made the jump to OU. This is 100% about daddy.

2 years but guess if kruger wouldve hired Hollis price Q white or Kellen or someone with no exp itd been fine right?

2 years but guess if kruger wouldve hired Hollis price Q white or Kellen or someone with no exp itd been fine right?

If he was winning like Kelvin with those guys, sure. But when you hire your son and don't win at the "appropriate level" afterwards, people are going to talk.

And I say that as somebody that really hasn't been all that upset about him being on the staff. If he is the #3 guy, I'd argue the #1 and #2 guys are probably failing more than he is. I'm not a big fan of Crutchfield or Hartman, tbh.

If he was winning like Kelvin with those guys, sure. But when you hire your son and don't win at the "appropriate level" afterwards, people are going to talk.

And I say that as somebody that really hasn't been all that upset about him being on the staff. If he is the #3 guy, I'd argue the #1 and #2 guys are probably failing more than he is. I'm not a big fan of Crutchfield or Hartman, tbh.

I understand that.

I think girls side looks a whole lot worse because Colton had zero exp.

Crutch is very well respected. Carlin is as well but get the whole staff has struggled.

Very weak argument. Kellen had 4 years of coaching experience at SFA and App State before getting hired at Houston (a mid-major program). Quannas had 3 years of coaching at WKU and Tulane before getting hired. Hollis is director for player development, not an assistant coach. Meanwhile Kevin only had 2 years at Northern Arizona before taking over for an OU team (NOT a mid-major) coming off of a Final 4 appearance. If it weren't for Kevin, I probably wouldn't even know Northern Arizona has a program. It's pretty clear the guys you're mentioning were more qualified for the job.

More importantly, KS' hires are working. Of course nobody is going to call out KS for hiring his son when they're coming off one of the most successful stretches in program history. It's not hypocrisy -- it's common sense.

Very weak argument. Kellen had 4 years of coaching experience at SFA and App State before getting hired at Houston (a mid-major program). Quannas had 3 years of coaching at WKU and Tulane before getting hired. Hollis is director for player development, not an assistant coach. Meanwhile Kevin only had 2 years at Northern Arizona before taking over for an OU team (NOT a mid-major) coming off of a Final 4 appearance. If it weren't for Kevin, I probably wouldn't even know Northern Arizona has a program. It's pretty clear the guys you're mentioning were more qualified for the job.

More importantly, KS' hires are working. Of course nobody is going to call out KS for hiring his son when they're coming off one of the most successful stretches in program history. It's not hypocrisy -- it's common sense.

At houston... lol

It is hypocrisy.

Kevin was an outstanding player, coaches kid, very good shooter at high level programs, etc etc etc... Does this mean he is an outstanding coach? No.

but you quoted SFA and APP state for 4 years...

Give me a break.

but you quoted SFA and APP state for 4 years...

Give me a break.

First off, 4 > 2.

Second, SFA is a mid-major that has been to the NCAA tournament 5 times in the past decade. Making the jump from SFA to UH isn't far-fetched at all. Meanwhile, Northern Arizona hasn't made an NCAA tournament since 2000, and they've only made the NIT once in that time. And of course, the position Kevin got at a P5 conference team coming off of a Final 4 appearance was far more prestigious than the one Kellen got.

Lastly, and most importantly, even though Kellen was far more qualified for a far less coveted position, it was STILL a nepotism hire. A nepotism hire that has been successful, though. That's the ultimate difference.

Kellen reportedly named head coach in waiting...

To keep kelvin at Houston.

Kellen reportedly named head coach in waiting...

To keep kelvin at Houston.

Kelvin publicly said that is not the case. Said Kellen continually interviews for other HC jobs, and if offered the right one, Kelvin would encourage him to take it.

I'd say those of you who love to deal in strawman arguments look sillier. I'd love to see you find any post where someone suggesting finishing in the lower half of the league is the goal. There is a difference between saying Lon shouldn't be fired and the sky isn't falling, and saying we should be aiming for a bottom half finish. Then again, you already know that.

Actually, i stated we have not been up to the standard of OU basketball. I got asked what the standard for OU basketball is, and you and others didn't like my answer. And now Lon is saying we have not been up to the standard of OU basketball. That's not a strawman, that is what happened, and you aren't happy about it. it happens

Yes! He has responded to me a number of times during games.

Contrast that to the DOK guys and it's night and day. Kersey (when he worked for the DOK) blocked me once because some other person called him a "douche canoe" and I simply asked "what is that" (i'm too old I guess...LOL).:ez-laugh:

Hahahahaha....I think it was a good question. I'm also old. LOL...

Actually, i stated we have not been up to the standard of OU basketball. I got asked what the standard for OU basketball is, and you and others didn't like my answer. And now Lon is saying we have not been up to the standard of OU basketball. That's not a strawman, that is what happened, and you aren't happy about it. it happens

Again you make something up. Like I said, find me examples of me or anyone else saying that we consider finishing in the bottom half of the league acceptable or the standard. If you are so sure if happened, it should be easy to find examples.

again you make something up. Like i said, find me examples of me or anyone else saying that we consider finishing in the bottom half of the league acceptable or the standard. If you are so sure if happened, it should be easy to find examples.

Bouldersooner quote 1.jpg

Wichita Sooner Quote 2.jpg

Again you make something up. Like I said, find me examples of me or anyone else saying that we consider finishing in the bottom half of the league acceptable or the standard. If you are so sure if happened, it should be easy to find examples.

A poster on here said on twitter the only thing that matters are NCAA tournament games.

I don't need to name him but he knows who he is.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!! Kevin is just as qualified as Quannas and Hollis...heck, it's not like Kellen has sweated in the salt mines for 20 years either!!!

KK knows b-ball. He was a fabulous player and brings a lot of knowledge to the guard position!

I truly expect next year to be better than this year..then the following year to be even better!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back