Lon Kruger on time and task: 'We’ve got to get the bar back up where it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

I truly expect next year to be better than this year..then the following year to be even better!!

Hopefully, the Sooners can excel by winning half of their conference games.

High expectations.

Hopefully, the Sooners can excel by winning half of their conference games.

High expectations.

Exactly. Asking your coaching staff to produce at least a .500 record in conference is certainly asking a lot (sarcasm)....maybe too much for a few on this board or so it seems. Or maybe it is the dumbing down of lower expectations.

We should expect more of this program.....#nomoreexcuses.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!! Kevin is just as qualified as ... Hollis

Well that's something we agree on. Of course, as has already been mentioned, Hollis isn't an assistant coach, so the comparison is silly at best.

Kevin was an outstanding player, coaches kid, very good shooter at high level programs, etc etc etc.

To those that didn't think Kevin was qualified, always remember this -- he was a very good shooter. Never question the coaching ability of a very good shooter.

Exactly. Asking your coaching staff to produce at least a .500 record in conference is certainly asking a lot (sarcasm)....maybe too much for a few on this board or so it seems. Or maybe it is the dumbing down of lower expectations.

But, but, the Big 12 is tough!

Jesus Christ! The whole purpose of this thread was to show that the coaches weren't satisfied by it so for you and others to sit here and pretend that anyone (or everyone) is satisfied by it is completely dishonest.

Let it go. You're trying to win an internet battle no one is fighting.

Jesus Christ! The whole purpose of this thread was to show that the coaches weren't satisfied by it so for you and others to sit here and pretend that anyone (or everyone) is satisfied by it is completely dishonest.

But then what will we discuss for 8 months?

Half our conference games... wow how awesome that would be! Maybe someday we can get to the level of that blue blood Texas Tech. I know, i'm dreaming!

Exactly. But apparently some people feel better about their own fandom only if they can act like they are bothered more by losing than others. So in their minds, all of us who don't want to fire the coaching staff based on the past three seasons are making excuses and/or ok with losing. The funny part is that at the same time they bash our current staff for everything expect the Jussie Smollett case, they routinely praise coaches who haven't accomplished a fraction of what Lon has. We can all jist sit back now and see how many titles Nebraska, A&M, and UCLA win with coaches who, according to some, would make our program better.

Honest question. If OU would've went 8-5 in OOC, 11-7 in Conf & still got a 9 seed would that make it better?

To be perfectly honest, 10-2 OOC and 13-5 conference would be a good step for me.

I think we know why certain people are focusing on this. In mid-February, they were justifying their belief that the program was a mess based on not making the tourney for the second time in three years, not winning 20 games, and not doing better in conference. The first two of those can no longer be used since we won several games late in the year and easily made the tournament. So that leaves this one tangible thing to complain about, and in order to do so, they are now pretending like there are people on the board who are happy with 7-11 and 7th place.

Ok? I asked a question, you can answer it or dispute the question if you'd like. What you're doing is pointless.

Yeah, and it is very much a legitimate question that I would love to see people answer.

Honest question. If OU would've went 8-5 in OOC, 11-7 in Conf & still got a 9 seed would that make it better?

OOC games are always a crap shoot on what it actually means at the time. We thought our OOC schedule was going to be really tough, and it really wasn't. It kept us ranked high b/c we didn't have any stupidly bad teams, but those games are guaranteed wins just like many of our other OOC games were this year, even though they were treated as being tougher.

We all thought we were a lot better than we really were after our OOC games.

Conference play is a much better gauge. Those are your peers. Those are the teams you aren't going to surprise, b/c you play them all twice a year. Those are the teams that for the most part are going to show up every game against you, b/c conference standings and often times rivalry bragging rights are on the line. Often times, a bad Big 12 team is still better or comparable to most non-P5 teams, even the good ones. ND was dead last in the ACC. They gave OU everything we wanted on a neutral court, and they beat a pretty good Purdue team. Bad P5 teams are often better or comparable to good non-P5 teams. That is why conference play matters. It's the better gauge for where your program/team currently is.

It also matters b/c that reflects how you are playing recently. I think we all want our team to be be playing better down the stretch, right? Pretty tough to look great in OOC, be pretty terrible in conference, lose to the worst team in the Conference Tourney, THEN turn it on and make any kind of noise in the Dance.

I just want the team/program to be better. We've got to be better in the Big 12 than we've been the last three 3 years. I think we can all agree on that. My issues are more with the program in general than trying to just bust on this year's team. But this year's team is what we're talking about, and they are the present OU team, so sure, they are probably catching some of the crap that is really meant for the last three years as a whole, or the program. What this team accomplished this year is about what I called their ceiling during the offseason. But I think we were a bit lucky to achieve what we did. We weren't anywhere near as good as our OOC record, we got lucky with a couple of opposing teams late in the season missing key players, and we still made the Dance with what I believe is either the worst or one of the worst conference records of all time.

But again, my problem is with the program. Constant rebuilding and roster turnover. Inconsistency from year to year. The bad years being too bad. Too many project players that never contribute being recruiting. Going after too many athletes and guys with impressive measurables, and not enough true basketball players. Not being a "tough" team. That is important at a school like OU, b/c we're never going to consistently have elite talent. Being forced to play guys out of position (which hurts us against quality teams) b/c of recruiting issues and lack of development of several players.

OOC games are always a crap shoot on what it actually means at the time. We thought our OOC schedule was going to be really tough, and it really wasn't. It kept us ranked high b/c we didn't have any stupidly bad teams, but those games are guaranteed wins just like many of our other OOC games were this year, even though they were treated as being tougher.

We all thought we were a lot better than we really were after our OOC games.

Conference play is a much better gauge. Those are your peers. Those are the teams you aren't going to surprise, b/c you play them all twice a year. Those are the teams that for the most part are going to show up every game against you, b/c conference standings and often times rivalry bragging rights are on the line. Often times, a bad Big 12 team is still better or comparable to most non-P5 teams, even the good ones. ND was dead last in the ACC. They gave OU everything we wanted on a neutral court, and they beat a pretty good Purdue team. Bad P5 teams are often better or comparable to good non-P5 teams. That is why conference play matters. It's the better gauge for where your program/team currently is.

It also matters b/c that reflects how you are playing recently. I think we all want our team to be be playing better down the stretch, right? Pretty tough to look great in OOC, be pretty terrible in conference, lose to the worst team in the Conference Tourney, THEN turn it on and make any kind of noise in the Dance.

I just want the team/program to be better. We've got to be better in the Big 12 than we've been the last three 3 years. I think we can all agree on that. My issues are more with the program in general than trying to just bust on this year's team. But this year's team is what we're talking about, and they are the present OU team, so sure, they are probably catching some of the crap that is really meant for the last three years as a whole, or the program. What this team accomplished this year is about what I called their ceiling during the offseason. But I think we were a bit lucky to achieve what we did. We weren't anywhere near as good as our OOC record, we got lucky with a couple of opposing teams late in the season missing key players, and we still made the Dance with what I believe is either the worst or one of the worst conference records of all time.

But again, my problem is with the program. Constant rebuilding and roster turnover. Inconsistency from year to year. The bad years being too bad. Too many project players that never contribute being recruiting. Going after too many athletes and guys with impressive measurables, and not enough true basketball players. Not being a "tough" team. That is important at a school like OU, b/c we're never going to consistently have elite talent. Being forced to play guys out of position (which hurts us against quality teams) b/c of recruiting issues and lack of development of several players.

our ooc was one of the best in the country ... fact ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back