Meyer's mailbag addresses OSU recruiting philosophy

Teeng Akol has quit OSU, and now rumor is that pilgrim could be ineligible. These may be the schollies.

I'm hearing there are some attitude problems with Pilgrim rather than any academic issues.

I'm hearing there are some attitude problems with Pilgrim rather than any academic issues.

I don't know... I think he was just sick... to my eyes he looked like he had lost a lot of weight last night... maybe I'm just seeing things...

Pilgrim has definitely been in the doghouse, although he was sick at some point also. Ford has made him realize this is his last stop....there will be no fourth stop if he has aspirations of playing big time basketball.

I thought Pilgrim had a nice game Tuesday night considering he's been out a few games.

OSU could of used him at Rhode Island.

I'm actually hoping OU gets it's act together against Baylor, they are starting to act like they are the next Kansas.

What's going to happen with Moses? Is the pressure going to make Ford give a longer suspension?

What's going to happen with Moses? Is the pressure going to make Ford give a longer suspension?

I haven't heard anything like that. Probably the only way he would change it is if Holder made him change it.

A very thought-provoking topic.

Coaches at this level should be striving for championships, otherwise, I don't want them as a coach at my school. These kind of expectations also put the coach's head on the chopping block. And, like you said, the coach has to put the best product on the floor he can.

Coaches at this level should be capable of scouting a recruit well enough that they aren't recruiting over him and pushing him out the door less than a year later. If he can't, I don't want him as a coach at my school.

I don't fault coaches who cut ties with guys with bad attitudes or work ethics. If a guy is causing constant problems or completely neglecting academic responsibilities, or if he's getting into legal problems, he should be gone. But I do fault coaches who bring in players and then almost immediately start looking to replace those players. If the guy isn't good enough for you, don't sign him in the first place. If you don't know if he's good enough... you're not doing your job (or maybe can't). Certainly there will be occasional recruiting misses. And IMO, a coach should be willing to eat a few of those. Two or three guys at the end of the bench who don't contribute won't kill most teams.

Back