Meyer's mailbag addresses OSU recruiting philosophy

I think that it is fair to extrapolate that if there are more recruits coming in than there are scholarships available, there are either: (1) current players that a coach knows will not be coming back; (2) current recruits that a coach knows will not make it in; or (3) some combination of (1) and (2). Nobody can accurately know what the actual situation is.

While posting on my personal distaste of over-signing, ultimately I could care less how Travis Ford is percieved. In fact, the worse the perception of him is, the better as far as I am concerned as a school that plays oSu twice a year. I would be out negative recruiting Travis Ford persoanlly saying he is a foul mouthed angry little person who obviously has little regard for the kids he brings on campus. Wouldn't be that tough of a negative sell.

It's pretty silly to continue bashing Ford when OSU is 11-1, and OU is 8-4. And they are doing it with a roster chalked full of less highly recruited, and somewhat equally unexperienced players.

You guys may not like Ford, but he is a solid coach. I've said that since before he was hired.

It's pretty silly to continue bashing Ford when OSU is 11-1, and OU is 8-4. And they are doing it with a roster chalked full of less highly recruited, and somewhat equally unexperienced players.

You guys may not like Ford, but he is a solid coach. I've said that since before he was hired.

I have to say, I don't understand that either.

Ford is the coach at oSu, that is all the reason I need to bash him.

You can look at it from either side, but to go along with what Coolm said, the staff would never not put in the time to find these guys a good school to play ball at and unless warranted I doubt they would have anything but nice things to say to interested schools.

We'll know more about that 11-1 record come saturday.

It's silly to bash him on what he's doing this year. I see he's abandoned the ole run and gun style. But if someone wants to make comment about oversigning, that's fair game.

It's silly to bash him on what he's doing this year. I see he's abandoned the ole run and gun style.

We weren't really much of a "run and gun" team last year... at least not as much as people talk about.

We were just inside the top 50 in average tempo last year, which is higher than most teams, but certainly not in the category of "run and gun."

We're almost right in the middle of D-1 teams this year, ranking 184 in average tempo.

I'd say it's a smart thing to dial it back a bit, given that we have a true freshman running point guard, for the most part.

SoonerfanTU said:
It's pretty silly to continue bashing Ford when OSU is 11-1, and OU is 8-4.

SoonerNorm said:
I have to say, I don't understand that either.

Really? You guys don't understand why OKLAHOMA basketball fans would be bashing the OKLAHOMA STATE basketball coach?

Also, Travis Ford sucks.

We weren't really much of a "run and gun" team last year... at least not as much as people talk about.

We were just inside the top 50 in average tempo last year, which is higher than most teams, but certainly not in the category of "run and gun."

We're almost right in the middle of D-1 teams this year, ranking 184 in average tempo.

I'd say it's a smart thing to dial it back a bit, given that we have a true freshman running point guard, for the most part.

Early on they took alot of quick shots, but toned it back considerably. OU should take a page out of Ford's book and dial it's philosphy to keeping games in the 50s and 60s.

Really? You guys don't understand why OKLAHOMA basketball fans would be bashing the OKLAHOMA STATE basketball coach?

Also, Travis Ford sucks.

I don't.

I guess I've just grown up and gotten past the need to "hate" the osu and ut coaches of all sports. Of course I hope they both lose all their games, and while I didn't like the Sutton's, and I'm not a Gundy fan, I have no problems with Barnes and Ford. I actually respect Barnes quite a bit for what he has done at UT, and I think Ford has the makings of a good coach. I don't have to hate him b/c of where he coaches.

Early on they took alot of quick shots, but toned it back considerably. OU should take a page out of Ford's book and dial it's philosphy to keeping games in the 50s and 60s.

The biggest thing I like about Ford in his short time at osu is that he isn't afraid to change how the team plays, based on the talent or skills they have. They didn't have any bigs last year, he found a way to win. They've changed a little this year, b/c they have the bigs. Never any excuses last year despite a pretty rag-tag roster, top to bottom.

I don't.

I guess I've just grown up and gotten past the need to "hate" the osu and ut coaches of all sports. Of course I hope they both lose all their games, and while I didn't like the Sutton's, and I'm not a Gundy fan, I have no problems with Barnes and Ford. I actually respect Barnes quite a bit for what he has done at UT, and I think Ford has the makings of a good coach. I don't have to hate him b/c of where he coaches.

Of course it is not about "growing up" or "hating" anyone. For some people, it is about being a fan. For some of us, sports is not just sober analysis.

BTW, saying you can't criticize Travis Ford's RECRUITING PRACTICES based on his win/loss record is as absurd as saying you can't question the way John Calipari runs his program because his team wins games.

The biggest thing I like about Ford in his short time at osu is that he isn't afraid to change how the team plays, based on the talent or skills they have. They didn't have any bigs last year, he found a way to win. They've changed a little this year, b/c they have the bigs. Never any excuses last year despite a pretty rag-tag roster, top to bottom.

It's not about "not being afraid", it's about not having a choice but to change. He didn't have high level rebounders, shot blockers, or defenders to play that style. OU last year was the second best transition team last year because they had a guy who was a high level rebounder who could beat his guy down the court when OU got possession of the ball. The best team in basketball last year had multiple high level rebounders, a great on the ball defender after the last half of the year in Lawson, and some shot blockers. OSU didn't have those, so they had to play more ball control style. This year OU doesn't have that, so I'm hoping Capel will play more ball control and not try to answer every score. In fairness to Ford, Capel came in saying the same things about tempo play in efforts to please the fans. But there's a reason why Kelvin played the style he played. Most times was because he didn't have the cumulative talent to play otherwise. When he did during his final four years and when Taj,KB, and TE won the conference, he played a more open style of play.

If the threes were falling this season I think you'd see more quick shots and more up tempo play. But this season OSU has been more of a half court team.

I think Ford wants to play faster but the opportunity isn't there.

Teeng Akol has quit OSU, and now rumor is that pilgrim could be ineligible. These may be the schollies.

May I ask whom you heard this negative information from regarding "little Travis"? I bet it's a real reliable source like another OU fan.

I don't believe 99% of the negative stuff I read on a msg board. Fans always believe their coach and team are as pure as driven snow and their rivals are all devil worshipping scum, when the truth is there is barely any difference in the way most teams conduct their business.

Sorry but it wasn't annother OU fan.

I hate to break it to you but us coaches usually talk with other coaches on various levels. This came from high school guys and college coaches.

You are correct about not being much difference in how schools conduct their business. Trust me, there isn't much difference in the way Eddie recruited from the way Kelvin did. The same goes for other schools also.

A current big 12 coach told me once, that if you have a top 10 recruiting class you are cheating in some fashion.

How is a spot "not there"? A scholarship offer expires ANNUALLY.

This is a problem I have too. I understand what you are saying, however the loyalty of some coaches is only rivaled by the loyalty of some players to their program.

That word is dieing in sports and it makes me unhappy. There isn't the same loyalty to a program as their once was, and the same goes on the loyalty of a coach to a player. It is too easy for coaches to push a kid out or encourage him to go, the same way kids leave too easily these days becasue people tell them they should leave.

It goes both ways and I understand your point.

Back