MMBest5 - Best all time starting five

Trae over Adams?

Pretty impressive to be a 3 seed, just goes to show the star power OU has had were all time greats.

Trae over Adams?

Pretty impressive to be a 3 seed, just goes to show the star power OU has had were all time greats.

I didn't go thru the article, but my guess is that they're are at least partly going by position. If Adams, Wayman and Blake are all in the starting lineup, who is playing the 3? While we have two PGs, we also did on our best team ever. Mookie played off-the-ball as a junior when Ricky Grace was running the show.

Since this is just related to college and not the NBA, I would probably slide Mookie to PG, and go with Hollis Price at the 2, and Buddy at the 3 (which now is just a taller 2). Adams was amazing, but probably comes off the bench in this scenario. If this was related to the best NBA players from a school, it would be Adams starting and Wayman coming off the bench.

I didn't go thru the article, but my guess is that they're are at least partly going by position. If Adams, Wayman and Blake are all in the starting lineup, who is playing the 3? While we have two PGs, we also did on our best team ever. Mookie played off-the-ball as a junior when Ricky Grace was running the show.

Since this is just related to college and not the NBA, I would probably slide Mookie to PG, and go with Hollis Price at the 2, and Buddy at the 3 (which now is just a taller 2). Adams was amazing, but probably comes off the bench in this scenario. If this was related to the best NBA players from a school, it would be Adams starting and Wayman coming off the bench.

Makes sense

i love hollis as much as anyone .. but he is not starting in an all time starting 5 at OU ..

Minor and a bunch of others would be ahead of him

That's not a bad five - but I would go with Trae, Mookie, Adams, Blake and Wayman - positions be dammed.

off the bench bigs - Grant, Webster, King
Off the bench wings - B. Price, H Price, S. Henry, A. Bowie

Ton I left out, I know, but how about having B Price come off the bench and shoot with Trae distributing

That's not a bad five - but I would go with Trae, Mookie, Adams, Blake and Wayman - positions be dammed.

off the bench bigs - Grant, Webster, King
Off the bench wings - B. Price, H Price, S. Henry, A. Bowie

Ton I left out, I know, but how about having B Price come off the bench and shoot with Trae distributing

Did you really mean to leave Buddy off this list entirely? National player of the year, two-time conference player of the year in the best league in America, and you think there are six better options at guard? Nothing against any of your selections, but Buddy had one of the best shooting seasons in college basketball history.

So I am going with:
Mookie
Price
Buddy
Blake
Wayman

Bench:
Trae
Hollis
Kennedy
McAlister
Adams
King
Grant
Webster

And Billy has to coach these athletes so we can get up and down and score some points. That leaves off some very talented guys including Najera. And that doesn't really touch on guys from 40 plus years ago.

That depth goes to show how good this team has been over the last 30 years especially.

Hollis starts. Some of you might want to refresh yourselves on his career.

not over buddy or mookie or ryan minor ..

hollis was a 6'1 2 guard that could not dribble very well ..

Will you stop with the Minor stuff. They don't play the same position. On teams like this, you at least attempt to play guys at their natural position. Hollis and Minor aren't competing for the same spot. I had a Ryan Minor jersey. Still have it. I'm a fan. But that isn't the right argument to make.

And he dribbled well enough to 2nd and 3rd team All-American in his career. And the year he was 2nd team, the 1st team was absolutely STACKED. I don't care how small he was, that is a non-issue to me. Mookie was just as small.

Will you stop with the Minor stuff. They don't play the same position. On teams like this, you at least attempt to play guys at their natural position. Hollis and Minor aren't competing for the same spot. I had a Ryan Minor jersey. Still have it. I'm a fan. But that isn't the right argument to make.

And he dribbled well enough to 2nd and 3rd team All-American in his career. And the year he was 2nd team, the 1st team was absolutely STACKED. I don't care how small he was, that is a non-issue to me. Mookie was just as small.

many here have put buddy at the 3 to put hollis at the 2 ...

buddy is the 2 .. he is was and always will be a much much better college player than hollis ..

I would take Quannas White over Trae Young any day of the week, if my objective is to win a championship and not get some guy drafted.

Quannas never had a chance at NBA basketball obviously, but that doesn't mean he isn't a better college point guard on a championship team.

buddy is the 2 .. he is was and always will be a much much better college player than hollis ..

MUCH MUCH better?

That is a dumb statement. No other way to put it.

I would put Hollis over Buddy for the first 3 years. Hollis was a cold-blooded winner -- maybe more so than anybody we've ever had. That senior year Buddy had was off the charts, though. Can't keep him off.

Boulder, based on your posts in this thread, I'm having a hard time thinking you were much of Hollis Price fan. Buddy was not "much, much better" than Hollis...and those guys were the best players on both a Final Four team and a second team which played into the second weekend. I would say those two were very close, though Hollis was better in Year 1 and Buddy in Year 4.

All that said, if you want to keep Buddy at the 2 and go with the best natural 3 we had, Ryan Minor is certainly a good choice. I like that starting 5 as well.

I would take Quannas White over Trae Young any day of the week, if my objective is to win a championship and not get some guy drafted.

Quannas never had a chance at NBA basketball obviously, but that doesn't mean he isn't a better college point guard on a championship team.

Put Trae on that ou team and we are cutting the nets down. We would have mopped the floor with Indiana and Maryland.

Boulder, based on your posts in this thread, I'm having a hard time thinking you were much of Hollis Price fan. Buddy was not "much, much better" than Hollis...and those guys were the best players on both a Final Four team and a second team which played into the second weekend. I would say those two were very close, though Hollis was better in Year 1 and Buddy in Year 4.

All that said, if you want to keep Buddy at the 2 and go with the best natural 3 we had, Ryan Minor is certainly a good choice. I like that starting 5 as well.

i actually love hollis and he was a great leader and was an extention of kelvins toughness on the court ... i went to over 20 games in that 2002 season including the final 4

but i think yall are romanticising how good he was

he was great in his system and had a really good year ... but there is a reason that one guy was a lotto pick and the other never sniffed the nba

Put Trae on that ou team and we are cutting the nets down. We would have mopped the floor with Indiana and Maryland.

i don't disagree

of course if white doesn't get hurt in the last 60 sec vs mizzou we might have won it all also ..

Back