Offseason updates

TulsaWorld

Reaction score
Hope you all don't mind me starting a new thread; I didn't see any recent ones on Jamal and Austin. Both of these are by our summer sports intern, Eli Lederman...

OU men's basketball notebook: Jamal Bieniemy stepping into new role

As the lone freshman on a team full of veterans a year ago, Oklahoma point guard Jamal Bieniemy was forced to learn fast and fit in quickly with the upperclassmen.

The pressure proved valuable for the former Katy, Texas, standout as he settled in rapidly, earning a spot in coach Lon Kruger’s starting lineup by January and finishing the season as the Sooners’ assist leader. Now a sophomore on a team that welcomes in a highly-touted freshman class of four, Bieniemy feels a different kind of pressure, as a player but also a leader.

“I learned last year that you’ve got to be a leader no matter what,” he said Thursday. “I’ve always got to have the guys' backs. (As a team) I think we’re all on the same page when it comes to leadership.”

Bieniemy averaged 3.5 assists in 25.3 minutes per game in 2018 while stewarding an OU offense that finished seventh in the Big 12 in scoring. In 2019, he will be asked to carry a heavier offensive burden while adjusting to playing alongside four-star freshman guard De’Vion Harmon. On top of it all, he’ll be looked upon by Kruger and his young teammates as a vital leader.

OU men's basketball: Transfer Austin Reaves eager, prepared to finally make impact for Sooners

NORMAN — Austin Reaves looked uneasy as he approached the swarm of reporters and TV cameras that waited for him Thursday. Even in the friendly confines of the practice facility inside Lloyd Noble Center, a facility in which Reaves now has spent more than a year without playing a single minute of live game action, he looked anything but comfortable.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever been interviewed by this many people before,” the transfer from Wichita State said.

If things go right for the lanky, 6-foot-5 guard this year, he’ll have to get used to it.

By the time OU kicks off its men’s basketball season in November, it will have been 20 months since Reaves last competed in a college basketball game. In March 2018, he was a sophomore contributor for a Wichita State team that made the NCAA Turnament. Now he’s a Sooner.

Reaves’ decision to leave coach Gregg Marshall’s Shockers came a month after that 2017-18 season ended, and in the time since he has shed little light publicly on what drove him away from Wichita and, ultimately, to Norman. But in the year-plus since he arrived at OU, in which Reaves was forced to sit out the 2018-19 season per NCAA transfer rules, the crafty guard has become ingrained in coach Lon Kruger’s program.

He has gotten used to the culture and settled into a comfortable place alongside his teammates and the coaching staff. Reaves has gained a better perspective on who he is on the court and as a teammate. He said he feels more confident than he ever did at Wichita State.

Now Reaves is ready, finally, to return to the court and make an impact for the Sooners.

Thanks for sharing; trust me, we don't mind you starting this thread!!

Doo shooting 3's in background of the Reaves video. :dance005::woot

Thanks. I think 4 guards is about the safe minimum.

One of the fun things that I had the opportunity to do this offseason is look through our photo archives (as well as The Oklahoman's and Associated Press') for our past All-State football and basketball players of the year.

With this being All-State games week up here in Tulsa, we named our football and basketball players of the year for the past seasons this week, and of course, OU is well represented in our lists.

Here's All-State boys basketball since 1960, including Trae Young, Blake Griffin, Wayman Tisdale... I better stop listing or I might accidentally omit some Sooners :)

Here's All-State girls basketball since 2000, which includes OU signee Gabby Gregory, who took the honor the past two seasons.

And, if you're curious about football, here's a link to that too.

Back