Play at the Rim

cowboysooner

Reaction score
We are not being as successful at and around the rim as the better teams. A couple things I have noticed are that other than Javion, we are not "pressing the angle" when driving to the rim nor "flattening" at the rim like good players do. Don't know, but it looks like we don't coach these techniques. Saw a video of a rick pitino practice and he literally coached these techniques in every drill. For example, every layup drill involved working these techniques and doing so without committing an offensive foul. Every Kansas player plays like they have been coached on these things. Austin Reeves was good at this stuff. Maybe smaller guards grow up learning this stuff naturally as they figure out how to keep shot blockers from preventing them from blocking and altering their shots.

The other thing that bothers me is the time lapse between entry of the ball to the post and the shot. Virtually every good high school coach in Oklahoma does "down hard, up hard" drills. Under Bill Tubbs, the shot by the post player was essentially just part of the catch. If he caught a post catching the ball and then trying to figure out how he was going to dribble or get a shot off, he pulled them. This is why all of his post players were good scorers, even the short ones. Loved Lon, but would literally watch him have his bigs catch a ball in the post and dribble around and try and get a shot off. JMO, but this leads to ineffective post scoring and lots of turnovers.

Fair warning, just a fan and not a coach, so maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

Los and Oweh have been particularly bad at finishing. That should be a strength for Oweh given his physicality and athleticism. JM need a to use his flat footed layup more. He isn’t big or strong enough to score over or through defenders, so getting the shot off before they are ready is key for him.

I agree that our bigs seem far too deliberate with their moves. That can work for guys with a ton of post moves in their bag, but that’s not our personnel. Multiple dribbles and fakes just end up allowing their man to wall up, and lead to turnovers.

Harris for KU isn’t a great finisher but lots of their guards are/were. Bilas always talks about how many players make the mistake of taking their eyes off the rim when they expect contact.

Los and Oweh have been particularly bad at finishing. That should be a strength for Oweh given his physicality and athleticism. JM need a to use his flat footed layup more. He isn’t big or strong enough to score over or through defenders, so getting the shot off before they are ready is key for him.

I agree that our bigs seem far too deliberate with their moves. That can work for guys with a ton of post moves in their bag, but that’s not our personnel. Multiple dribbles and fakes just end up allowing their man to wall up, and lead to turnovers.

Harris for KU isn’t a great finisher but lots of their guards are/were. Bilas always talks about how many players make the mistake of taking their eyes off the rim when they expect contact.
Oweh hasn't for the season .. but man was he bad last night ..

Back