Mr. Athletic Director … tear down this (culture) wall!

It's literally a thread started by WS, about firing Moser and his culture wall, and you are upset about the content of said thread?

Maybe avoid this particular thread?
Or I could just use the laughing emoji.

I think that explains this season.

We did change things up a small bit, especially offensively. But as the season went along, teams prepared for that, and we looked a lot worse off after that.
I also think that once conference play started and we played bigger, more physical defenses, the space that Los, Oweh, and Moore had disappeared and they could no longer slash and run. At that point, the offense became stagnant and downright ugly at times.

The biggest problem Moser has had, IMO, in running his 5 out or 41 offense is the lack of 3 point shooters. If the offense is predicated on spreading the floor, it has to have shooters that can consistently knock down shots from the outside. Didn't have enough of that outside Darthard down the stretch. We were pretty inept at sitting and reading screens up high with Godwin and JMac, and too little movement out top with backscreens to get guys open. The one game we had movement (Houston), the offense looked so much better. The lack of physicality from our guard showed up big, and none of them have good enough handles to create their own shots

Year 2 he had guys who fit and could run his offense, but weren't good enough athletes for the Big XII. This year, better athletes but weren't great fits for his offense. We were good on the break and transition but played too much half-court the last two months. And if he wants to run "his" offense, better have more movement and shooters.

He needs to find better athletes and fit his offense (i.e. shooters, handles) or change his offense. Pretty simple. Otherwise, more ugly basketball at times, resulting in a new HC.

I also think that once conference play started and we played bigger, more physical defenses, the space that Los, Oweh, and Moore had disappeared and they could no longer slash and run. At that point, the offense became stagnant and downright ugly at times.

The biggest problem Moser has had, IMO, in running his 5 out or 41 offense is the lack of 3 point shooters. If the offense is predicated on spreading the floor, it has to have shooters that can consistently knock down shots from the outside. Didn't have enough of that outside Darthard down the stretch. We were pretty inept at sitting and reading screens up high with Godwin and JMac, and too little movement out top with backscreens to get guys open. The one game we had movement (Houston), the offense looked so much better. The lack of physicality from our guard showed up big, and none of them have good enough handles to create their own shots

Year 2 he had guys who fit and could run his offense, but weren't good enough athletes for the Big XII. This year, better athletes but weren't great fits for his offense. We were good on the break and transition but played too much half-court the last two months. And if he wants to run "his" offense, better have more movement and shooters.

He needs to find better athletes and fit his offense (i.e. shooters, handles) or change his offense. Pretty simple. Otherwise, more ugly basketball at times, resulting in a new HC.
I agree with this. I think Moser’s inability to adapt/change is what will be his downfall. With the NIL and portal you HAVE to be able to adapt your offense to the team you have even if it means straying away from things you’ve done on previous years because you never know who will be on the roster year to year.

I don't think the offense needs to change, but agree the execution needs to be better or find players who can better execute it. The offense was still top 50 in Rim and 3 rate and in shot quality. The offense generates good looks and generates looks that are analytically sound. Because of analytics, offense at all levels in basketball is becoming homogenized. The majority of your shots have to be at the rim or from 3, and defenses are geared to take those two things away. Dylan Mihalke had a couple of good podcasts that Bob P from soonerscoop shared on the team's philosophy. Will link them if I can find them again.

I agree with this. I think Moser’s inability to adapt/change is what will be his downfall. With the NIL and portal you HAVE to be able to adapt your offense to the team you have even if it means straying away from things you’ve done on previous years because you never know who will be on the roster year to year.
Yep. I mean Bill Self has done it. He runs much less of his traditional 3:2 motion offense and is now running more 41 with motion principles. This past year, he even ran more 5 out with Dickinson on the high post. But he is taking advantage of the changes in the game and his roster with more outside shooters.

And I have no doubt if he had Perry Ellis and Azibuke types on the same roster, he would go back to more 3:2 motion to take advantage of their ability in the low post.

Moser can run the 5 out or 41 spread offense but still incorporate other offenses. It made no sense to have Godwin on the high post. He didn't even look at the basket. He literally was looking to the wing or behind him to pass. Teams just sagged off of him and clogged the lane to game plan against Moore, Los, and Oweh. The one game he did attack- Houston- he had 17 and 7 in 26 minutes. Should have had Godwin on the blocks more and see what he can do. Post up Moore too. Let them work.

Being headstrong with your coaching style is great if you have the players to run it. He did run more early. But when it was stopped, he went back to sets that weren't best for the talent. I think he is a good coach and can recruit well with the resources he has. He has to get players to fit his offense or change. Something has to change or be changed.

Yep. I mean Bill Self has done it. He runs much less of his traditional 3:2 motion offense and is now running more 41 with motion principles. This past year, he even ran more 5 out with Dickinson on the high post. But he is taking advantage of the changes in the game and his roster with more outside shooters.

And I have no doubt if he had Perry Ellis and Azibuke types on the same roster, he would go back to more 3:2 motion to take advantage of their ability in the low post.

Moser can run the 5 out or 41 spread offense but still incorporate other offenses. It made no sense to have Godwin on the high post. He didn't even look at the basket. He literally was looking to the wing or behind him to pass. Teams just sagged off of him and clogged the lane to game plan against Moore, Los, and Oweh. The one game he did attack- Houston- he had 17 and 7 in 26 minutes. Should have had Godwin on the blocks more and see what he can do. Post up Moore too. Let them work.

Being headstrong with your coaching style is great if you have the players to run it. He did run more early. But when it was stopped, he went back to sets that weren't best for the talent. I think he is a good coach and can recruit well with the resources he has. He has to get players to fit his offense or change. Something has to change or be changed.
Not only was Godwin no threat to attack or shoot from the top of the key, he is not a good handler. Same with Luke. Every time they got stuck with the ball in their hands out top, you knew the absolute best thing that would happen would be that they would eventually manage to hand the ball back to a guard after three or four very nervous seconds. Neither can dribble or pass well enough to have that type of play be the staple of your offense. Hugley was a little better, but he is by no means a great passing big.

Not only was Godwin no threat to attack or shoot from the top of the key, he is not a good handler. Same with Luke. Every time they got stuck with the ball in their hands out top, you knew the absolute best thing that would happen would be that they would eventually manage to hand the ball back to a guard after three or four very nervous seconds. Neither can dribble or pass well enough to have that type of play be the staple of your offense. Hugley was a little better, but he is by no means a great passing big.
Adding to this, the guards would just run away and Luke/Sam would be stuck there with no outlet pass. Several times. Luke also had a few that were all his fault though.

But then what are you doing with the bigs? What would be their role on offense and where would they be positioned? You're not going to run isolation post-up plays for Sam, talk about playing even slower. If you run a Jalon Moore post-up, Sam's defender is just going to help. Towards the end of the year, Sam stopped rolling to the rim with purpose, although a lot of that was due to how defensive coverages changed and his own limitations. With Luke, you can position him anywhere along the three point line to take a defender with size out of the paint, and then start running 1-4 PnR's with Los and Moore. Getting Garrison is so important for next year, Sam hitting a wall was more detrimental than Oweh's regression.

Back