MY Take on Exhib Game

the newb's performances weren't lost on others ... Paul Biancardi of ESPN lists the following players as his

Freshmen who will surprise.
1. Wynston Tabbs-BC
2. Johnny Newman - Clem
3. Xavier Johnson-Pitt
4. Ignas Brazdeikis-Mich
5. Serrel Smith-MD
6. Aaron Henry-MSU
7. Isaiah Joe-Ark
8. Jack Wilson-Oregon St.
9. Jamal Bieniemy-OU
10. Frank Aguananne-Loy/Chi

So, you didn’t see anything you liked, or are just picking up where you left off last year by being your usual negative self?

Maybe a few facts I posted earlier will help:

No one is saying this team is going to compete for a Big 12 Championship or make a deep run in the NCAA tourney this season. What some of us are saying is that they’re going to be better than most people seem to think. Notice I said “going to be,” meaning there is room for improvement. Three people I trust who have seen the team in person, including this thread’s OP, agree with me. In time, maybe you will too.
I'll say it again, I couldn't tell much from the game. That team was so small they may be couple of female teams that have bigger starting five. And again I thought OU missed too many easy shots, in the same way as last year. I'm still not saying they will go winless or be in final 4...I'll wait and see more

My take: this year's team will be better than last year's team. Last year's team doesn't beat them by 30-something. They might have scored 20 more points, but they'd have given up 30.

The defense was very good, especially for the 1st game. They kept the ball largely out of the middle of the floor and the help defense was much improved over last year. They defended without fouling, committing just 11 (I think) fouls during the game. They didn't particularly shoot the ball well but were able to get points in the offense, going to the basket. They scored a lot in the lane, even from their guards, and from the FT line.

This is a deep, athletic, long team. They're going to rebound well with the 3 big guys and their guards are also long and athletic (James, Odomes, Bieniemy). They have a ton of experience, confidence, and composure. The fact that so many are experienced seniors will help them take care of the ball, be composed in late game & short shot clock situations, and in keeping the team out of foul trouble.

McNeace was fantastic. In the past he's been prone to acting quickly and making mistakes and every time he got the ball in the post he was calm and composed, confident that he owned the lane.

Finally, to those who complain about ... whatever, it's important to remember that a lot of guys who won't play many minutes played a lot of minutes and the starters played only half the game. This team is solid 9 deep and there aren't many teams in the conference that can say that.

Oh yeah, Kuath is ready to make an impact. He may average 2 points a game and still be a guy who changes any game. I fully believe this is an NCAA team who has a better chance to win at least 1 tournament game than last year's team. This is a better team than TY's team. I don't know who will score when the game is on the line but they'll figure it out. This team is good. That's what I learned.

the newb's performances weren't lost on others ... Paul Biancardi of ESPN lists the following players as his

Freshmen who will surprise.
1. Wynston Tabbs-BC
2. Johnny Newman - Clem
3. Xavier Johnson-Pitt
4. Ignas Brazdeikis-Mich
5. Serrel Smith-MD
6. Aaron Henry-MSU
7. Isaiah Joe-Ark
8. Jack Wilson-Oregon St.
9. Jamal Bieniemy-OU
10. Frank Aguananne-Loy/Chi

"Bieniemy the Enemy"...?

You don't have a clue yet (and neither do I) how this team, this season is going to turn out.

How can you say that? I have last year to look back on, and now we don't have TY. I have the year before that to look back on. I have a couple of seasons of stats and game tape on Calixte and Reynolds to look at. I have national media and Big 12 coaches' opinions. I have my own eyes over the last couple of years (A LOT of the same guys playing). I now have one exhibition game from this year to look at. I have LK's coaching history to look at. I have the history of the CURRENT OU staff to look at.

It may still just be my opinion, but it's a pretty informed one. And I've never said this team is destined to finish last in the Big 12 and miss all postseason play. I've said that best case, I thought they could do enough to slip into the Dance. The Big 12 is a strong, respected conference. That will help OU. But I wouldn't necessarily consider "slipping" into the NCAA Tourney a good season or a good team, considering we have 9 upperclassmen on the roster, 7-8 of which figure to play a lot of minutes. The bar has been set a little higher at OU, has it not?

How can you say that? I have last year to look back on, and now we don't have TY. I have the year before that to look back on. I have a couple of seasons of stats and game tape on Calixte and Reynolds to look at. I have national media and Big 12 coaches' opinions. I have my own eyes over the last couple of years (A LOT of the same guys playing). I now have one exhibition game from this year to look at. I have LK's coaching history to look at. I have the history of the CURRENT OU staff to look at.

It may still just be my opinion, but it's a pretty informed one. And I've never said this team is destined to finish last in the Big 12 and miss all postseason play. I've said that best case, I thought they could do enough to slip into the Dance. The Big 12 is a strong, respected conference. That will help OU. But I wouldn't necessarily consider "slipping" into the NCAA Tourney a good season or a good team, considering we have 9 upperclassmen on the roster, 7-8 of which figure to play a lot of minutes. The bar has been set a little higher at OU, has it not?

While nothing you said I technically disagree with, there is one thing none of us knows at this stage: What is the CHEMISTRY going to be like? No one could have reasonably predicted the 1990 team to finish #1 in the final polls prior to the Dance after losing Blaylock and King. No one could have seen OU even making the 1995 NCAA Tournament much less as a #4 seed. Most predicted a last-place finish in the Big 8. What those teams had, along with the 1984, 1988, 2000, 2002 and 2016 teams was great chemistry...and it's not something that any of us can really predict.

I can see the chemistry improving with Lattin, McGusty and Trae Young gone, but I don't see much hope of it ever being good until Christian James has wrapped up his playing career.

I can see the chemistry improving with Lattin, McGusty and Trae Young gone, but I don't see much hope of it ever being good until Christian James has wrapped up his playing career.

Huummm! Never really thought about it that way, Sooner04. CJ's body language can definitely be a head scratcher sometimes. The same can be said about Doolittle.

I'll be very disappointed if LK allows the attitude problems I heard so much about last year rear its ugly head again.

Lattin was an issue? Seemed like a really good teammate.

Lattin was an issue? Seemed like a really good teammate.

Not according to James Hale. I was shocked when James said during the season last year that Khadeem Lattin was the biggest trouble maker on the team. Wish I could find his quote, but there is no doubt that Hale was not a Lattin fan.

Maybe 04 can shed some light on whst JH was talking about.

I'm gonna hafta agree about CJ. Maybe Miles personality will rub off on him a bit. Calixte needs to pass him that blunt a time or two so he will chill out.

Not according to James Hale. I was shocked when James said during the season last year that Khadeem Lattin was the biggest trouble maker on the team. Wish I could find his quote, but there is no doubt that Hale was not a Lattin fan.

Maybe 04 can shed some light on whst JH was talking about.

I have no inside info on this, but Lattin always struck me as a guy who desperately wanted to come across as a leader, and as a result he tried to do all the flashy things that make someone look like a leader. But when it came time to leading by example, he left a lot to be desired. He obviously didnt make many meaningful strides in his game and eventually lost his starting spot. I could easily see how his personality could have rubbed some people the wrong way. Again, this is pure speculation, but I think it was pretty clear that we had no leadership the past two seasons.

Not once have I ever heard James was an issue. By anyone.

Not once have I ever heard James was an issue. By anyone.

James is intense and complaints about him seem to revolve around him getting upset about foul calls or trying to lead other players. He's going to be a leader this year and will definitely be a huge positive in his final season.

I think the team last year pretty much gave up, packed it in. IMO CJ was one of those but this is a new year so we shall see

I'm gonna hafta agree about CJ. Maybe Miles personality will rub off on him a bit. Calixte needs to pass him that blunt a time or two so he will chill out.

stop being so negative

I think the team last year pretty much gave up, packed it in. IMO CJ was one of those but this is a new year so we shall see

I agree with this........^^^^

There were no leaders last year......the team just started to go downhill and no one stepped up to right the ship. CJ would have been a logical choice, but I never saw him try to do anything to bring the "team" together.

Any one of the players could have stepped up instead of hanging their heads and pointing fingers. Any one of them could have decided to make a personal decision to make the team better. Any one of them could have decided to go all out on the defensive end...play defense like their life depended on the outcome...it shouldn't have mattered what happened on the offensive end. Instead, we had players who decided they weren't a big enough part of the offense and decided to dog it on both ends.

Who steps up this year when the team goes through a rough spot?????

If there is a leader on this year's team, now is the time for him to start making his mark.

What is the CHEMISTRY going to be like? No one could have reasonably predicted the 1990 team to finish #1 in the final polls prior to the Dance after losing Blaylock and King. No one could have seen OU even making the 1995 NCAA Tournament much less as a #4 seed. Most predicted a last-place finish in the Big 8. What those teams had, along with the 1984, 1988, 2000, 2002 and 2016 teams was great chemistry...and it's not something that any of us can really predict.

I agree, we think we know but we're guessing. Some years guys step up their game and the team follows. Thinking back to the Sampson years, you didn't know what you had till mid January. Seems the same last season.

I agree with the above comments in reference to Christian James. It seems like every single game he was whining and throwing a fit about something, never seemed like a positive, leader type of player and more like someone that only cares about his individual performance. I've noticed that especially the last season

Back