My two cents about SC

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
I was a huge women’s basketball fan once, had season tickets back in the day when players like Stacy Dales and my two favorite players from Ada, LaNeisha Caufield and Caton Hill, were leading the Sooners to conference titles and deep runs in the dance every season. My interest continued long after they were gone, through the Paris Twins era.

Admittedly, there hasn’t been much to cheer about the last few years. It’s not much fun to watch a once proud program sink to the bottom half of the conference with no end in sight. The Sherri Coale I knew from the glory days seemed to be gone. So, I understood why fans were calling for her head.

Fast forward to the current team. I happened to tune in to the first half of the Baylor game last week, expecting to see the beginning of a blowout. I was surprised to see a darned good OU team. They are scrappy and tough, and definitely not void of talent. When the score was tied at the half I hung around to see the second half. I’m absolutely convinced that OU could have won that game if the starters had not run out of steam, clearly exhausted from the minutes they were forced to play.

After reading TheMont’s step by step description on another thread of the unusual circumstances that led to a dramatically reduced roster, I have a lot more sympathy with what SC has been going through. I also saw the totally engaged, fiery coach I remember from the good old days when I watched the Baylor game.

My opinion doesn’t matter, I think we all know Sherri is not going anywhere anytime soon. But, I feel a lot better in saying this. I’m totally on board with giving her more time to right the ship. All of the pieces are there, she just needs more of them.

There, I’ve said it! Hate on me if you want. :)

This Board needs no hate. Your entitled to your honest opinion. Having won 23 of the last 24 games against OU, I don’t think Mulkey was too worried. Kim complemented OU for being the hottest team in the Big 12. It will be interesting how the remaining games go.

Based on our likely seeded position in the Big 12 Tournament, we would face Baylor in the finals if we won three in a row.

If we can pull out a HUGE upset against Texas tomorrow in Austin, and beat Tech, K-State and TCU again, all at home, then I believe we will make the NCAA tournament. Current RPI ranks us at #68 after TCU. I hope we can win out, but I don't believe we will. I realistically believe we can win 3 of the next 4 games, but they will have to play their best basketball. Fingers crossed we do, and pull out a win or two at the Big 12 Tourney!!

The team has been more competitive over all since going to the 5 guard line up, but what happens after the 2018 kids leave? Maybe the 4 recruits coming in will continue playing hard and we can keep winning games, but a lot of future success will depend on the talent OU signs in the 2022 class...

I have to believe that Stiles, Paris and Thompson are making a difference in this team. There is no doubt they are playing better. The final three games are all on FSOK.

Last edited:
If we can pull out a HUGE upset against Texas tomorrow in Austin, and beat Tech, K-State and TCU again, all at home, then I believe we will make the NCAA tournament. Current RPI ranks us at #68 after TCU. I hope we can win out, but I don't believe we will. I realistically believe we can win 3 of the next 4 games, but they will have to play their best basketball. Fingers crossed we do, and pull out a win or two at the Big 12 Tourney!!

“If” became “when” :)

https://soonersports.com/news/2021/2/27/womens-basketball-texas-recap.aspx

I don't hate SC, never said I did, but for me her ship has long since sailed

Back