Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigabd

Reaction score
New CU Buff Relphorde turning heads

Transfer called most impressive of newcomers
By Ryan Thorburn Camera Sports Writer
Posted: 10/27/2009 12:10:55 AM MDT

Who has impressed you the most during pick-up games, workouts and practices?

It`s a question the Camera posed to the majority of the men`s basketball roster throughout the offseason as the Buffs enter Jeff Bzdelik`s third season on the bench.

Time and time again the answer is: Marcus Relphorde.

Bzdelik and the Buffs are obviously expecting the versatile 6-foot-7 junior college transfer to have an immediate and significant impact on the program.

"Marcus is going to create a whole lot of matchup problems for people," Cory Higgins predicts. "He can guard their four man, and I can guarantee you their four man can`t guard him because he`s basically a guard out there."

There are five newcomers on the team this season, but Relphorde is the only one who isn`t trying to make the jump to the Big 12 straight out of high school.

Relphorde, 21, played oneseason at Saint Louis for Rick Majerus before he decided to leave that rebuilding situation.

Last season on an Indian Hills Community College team loaded with D-I prospects he averaged 10.6 points and 4.2 rebounds.

"He`s the one I expect the most out of and he knows that," said Bzdelik, who also plans to play his four true freshmen. "Marcus is from a great basketball area just outside the city of Chicago, so he grew up understanding passion and competitiveness and the game."

Bzdelik, who also grew up in the Chicago area, believes Relphorde`s presence won`t allow teams to focus so much on Higgins, who led CU in scoring, rebounding, steals and minutes during an otherwise disappointing 9-22 campaign last year.

"I can definitely take pressure off Cory," Relphorde said. "He does pretty much everything himself, and I can do a little bit of everything. Now we`ll both be doing a little bit of everything together. But it`s not just me, all of our guys have gotten better and all of us can take pressure off Cory."

Higgins has been as frustrated by the lack of wins during Bzdelik`s two seasons in Boulder as the head coach. However, CU`s best player is pleased with the development of the players around him and excited about the new talent that has arrived to add some much-needed depth.

"I think there is enough talent to start winning now," Relphorde said. "I feel like there is that depth we need, and as soon as everyone starts clicking I think we can be a good team."

Bzdelik said Relphorde`s skill set includes the ability to knock down 3-pointers, to drive down either side of the lane on the dribble, to score in the post and to grab rebounds and take the ball coast-to-coast.

"I`m definitely a guard, but with my size I can go down and rebound at the four or five," Relphorde said. "Right now, I`m a more versatile three or four and can also guard a five now and then."

When the starters for the 2009-10 season are introduced at the Coors Events Center on Nov. 13, expect Relphorde to be out there. Whether that`s at guard, forward or even center ... well, the Buffs need his help just about everywhere.

"Honestly, he could play anywhere from the one to the four and even the five if he had to," sophomore forward Austin Dufault said.

"He can handle the ball," senior shooting guard Dwight Thorne said. "If you`re small, he can post you up. If you`re big, he can go around you."

"Marcus is a good player. He`s a big body, very athletic ... he`s a Big 12 guy," junior forward Casey Crawford said.

Bzdelik, who has raved about players before only to be disappointed by their play at this level, recently called a brief timeout on his effusive praise of Relphorde.

"We can talk all this talk," Bzdelik said. "But until they turn the lights on ... that`s when we`ll all find out together."

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13648436

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqs48F8_bk[/ame]

Andrew Fitzgerald would be a star there.

Andrew Fitzgerald would be a star there.

Can Fitzgerald attack the rim with either hand from the perimeter? Can Fitzgerald make 45% of his 3pt shots? Will Fitzgerald have the strength and maturity of a 21 year old player?

This year Relphorde will be better than Fitz..

Can Fitzgerald attack the rim with either hand from the perimeter? Can Fitzgerald make 45% of his 3pt shots? Will Fitzgerald have the strength and maturity of a 21 year old player?

This year Relphorde will be better than Fitz..

You don't know if Drew can attack the rim with either hand, or if he can shoot the 3 at 45%, its doubtful Relphorde will finish the season with that percentage though, or that he attacks the rim the whole season with effectiveness.

You don't know if Drew can attack the rim with either hand, or if he can shoot the 3 at 45%, its doubtful Relphorde will finish the season with that percentage though, or that he attacks the rim the whole season with effectiveness.

Drew can't beat people off the dribble... he doesnt shoot 3's... etc. He is just a different type of player. Relphorde is a 2-4 and Fitzgerald is a pure power forward.

I still stand by my statement that Drew would be a star there.

Relphorde is a stallion and will be a key cog helping lead Colorado to 11th place this year in the Big 12.

10.6 pts and 4.2 rbs a game? That's sick, man...

He played on a juco team that 7 players to d-1 schools.... He averaged 14 points a game over there last 13 games.

-Marcus Relphorde (Colorado over Arkansas, TCU)
-Laron Dendy (Iowa State over Kentucky)
-Dwight Hardy (St. Johns)
-Dwight Buycks (Marquette over Kentucky, Memphis, Tennessee, and Illinois)
-Leon Powell (Southeast Missouri State)
-James Washington (Middle Tennessee State)
-Damian Windham (Chicago State University)

He played on a juco team that 7 players to d-1 schools.... He averaged 14 points a game over there last 13 games.

-Marcus Relphorde (Colorado over Arkansas, TCU)
-Laron Dendy (Iowa State over Kentucky)
-Dwight Hardy (St. Johns)
-Dwight Buycks (Marquette over Kentucky, Memphis, Tennessee, and Illinois)
-Leon Powell (Southeast Missouri State)
-James Washington (Middle Tennessee State)
-Damian Windham (Chicago State University)

LOL you don't seriously believe that Dendy and Buycks had legit offers to Kentucky do you? Did you see UK's class.....

LOL you don't seriously believe that Dendy and Buycks had legit offers to Kentucky do you? Did you see UK's class.....
I bet they had offers when Billy was coach, of course so did a lot of lower class players.

Ummmmm...yeah we do.

Im sure they did when Billy was coach...

Either way, it isnt bad for a guy to average 11 points (14 over their last 13 games) on a team with guys who went to Iowa State, Marquette, St. Johns, and then lower level D-1 schools. That was the point of showing how good Relphordes juco team was...

Ummmmm...yeah we do.

Indeed, we do.

Anyone else ready for the season to start?

New CU Buff Relphorde turning heads

Transfer called most impressive of newcomers
By Ryan Thorburn Camera Sports Writer
Posted: 10/27/2009 12:10:55 AM MDT

Who has impressed you the most during pick-up games, workouts and practices?

It`s a question the Camera posed to the majority of the men`s basketball roster throughout the offseason as the Buffs enter Jeff Bzdelik`s third season on the bench.

Time and time again the answer is: Marcus Relphorde.

Bzdelik and the Buffs are obviously expecting the versatile 6-foot-7 junior college transfer to have an immediate and significant impact on the program.

"Marcus is going to create a whole lot of matchup problems for people," Cory Higgins predicts. "He can guard their four man, and I can guarantee you their four man can`t guard him because he`s basically a guard out there."

There are five newcomers on the team this season, but Relphorde is the only one who isn`t trying to make the jump to the Big 12 straight out of high school.

Relphorde, 21, played oneseason at Saint Louis for Rick Majerus before he decided to leave that rebuilding situation.

Last season on an Indian Hills Community College team loaded with D-I prospects he averaged 10.6 points and 4.2 rebounds.

"He`s the one I expect the most out of and he knows that," said Bzdelik, who also plans to play his four true freshmen. "Marcus is from a great basketball area just outside the city of Chicago, so he grew up understanding passion and competitiveness and the game."

Bzdelik, who also grew up in the Chicago area, believes Relphorde`s presence won`t allow teams to focus so much on Higgins, who led CU in scoring, rebounding, steals and minutes during an otherwise disappointing 9-22 campaign last year.

"I can definitely take pressure off Cory," Relphorde said. "He does pretty much everything himself, and I can do a little bit of everything. Now we`ll both be doing a little bit of everything together. But it`s not just me, all of our guys have gotten better and all of us can take pressure off Cory."

Higgins has been as frustrated by the lack of wins during Bzdelik`s two seasons in Boulder as the head coach. However, CU`s best player is pleased with the development of the players around him and excited about the new talent that has arrived to add some much-needed depth.

"I think there is enough talent to start winning now," Relphorde said. "I feel like there is that depth we need, and as soon as everyone starts clicking I think we can be a good team."

Bzdelik said Relphorde`s skill set includes the ability to knock down 3-pointers, to drive down either side of the lane on the dribble, to score in the post and to grab rebounds and take the ball coast-to-coast.

"I`m definitely a guard, but with my size I can go down and rebound at the four or five," Relphorde said. "Right now, I`m a more versatile three or four and can also guard a five now and then."

When the starters for the 2009-10 season are introduced at the Coors Events Center on Nov. 13, expect Relphorde to be out there. Whether that`s at guard, forward or even center ... well, the Buffs need his help just about everywhere.

"Honestly, he could play anywhere from the one to the four and even the five if he had to," sophomore forward Austin Dufault said.

"He can handle the ball," senior shooting guard Dwight Thorne said. "If you`re small, he can post you up. If you`re big, he can go around you."

"Marcus is a good player. He`s a big body, very athletic ... he`s a Big 12 guy," junior forward Casey Crawford said.

Bzdelik, who has raved about players before only to be disappointed by their play at this level, recently called a brief timeout on his effusive praise of Relphorde.

"We can talk all this talk," Bzdelik said. "But until they turn the lights on ... that`s when we`ll all find out together."

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13648436

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqs48F8_bk

Sorry, but posting all this stuff about CU is getting really annoying. I really don't care about Colorado and am sick of it being posted here. And then you jump on Sam for saying Fitz would be a star there? Seriously? If this kid was as good as you say he is he wouldn't go to CU.

Sorry, but posting all this stuff about CU is getting really annoying. I really don't care about Colorado and am sick of it being posted here. And then you jump on Sam for saying Fitz would be a star there? Seriously? If this kid was as good as you say he is he wouldn't go to CU.

In this case, I tend to agree. Its not like he was getting overlooked. There were plenty of teams (like Kentucky) that were extensively scouting his team. 9 out of 10 times imo there is a reason that guy ends up going to a subpar program like Colorado. Could Relphorde be an exception? He could, but the odds are against him. No doubt in my mind that there would be posts by bigabd propping up Fitzgerald if he chose Colorado. Fitz would be the highest rated Colorado recruit in the Jeff Bezlkslodfiik era.

But hey, like Tony said, the season will be here soon enough and all the Shane-Tunks of the world will be brought to the light so we can all judge for ourselves....I wish it started tomorrow! :)

But hey, like Tony said, the season will be here soon enough and all the Shane-Tunks of the world will be brought to the light so we can all judge for ourselves

Lol, well, dont use Shane Harris-Tunks against me because Bzdelik says he isnt ready yet.

Wow..... If you dont want to read about Big 12 basketball then dont read it. It is being posted in mass like this because of a friendly bet I have with bigtime. Its not that I think all of you are interested in them, its just because of a bet with bigtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back