Next years lineup

The day that he was on the Sports Animal. Eschback even mentioned it today..... He said that Capel wants Pledger coming off the bench. Now I believe that may be the plan, but who's to say how much Blair, Cam, and Fitz improve?? Who knows how Big 12 ready an incoming PG will be.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

I guess Capel is banking on Cam and Osby improving their ball-handling (and Osby improving off-the-dribble) to make those two moves.

I agree with this, the bigger question is who becomes the best option at the 5. Fitz is a great scorer but if his defense and rebounds are still a liability does he become a spark off the bench? In theroy Clark, Pledger and Osby are enough of a scorer punch for starters that Fitz's scoring punch isnt needed on the first string.

Can Goff or possibly Jurrick, if we get him, become a consistent rebounder and defender enough that one of them becomes a 5?

In some ways I wouldn't mind Fitz off the bench as he would be instant offense if his jumper is falling.

I think next year we might actually have some flexibility with lineups, which would be nice.

I'm not so worried about the starting 5 as i am 6,7,8,&9. If we bring in some goons like Goff and Jurrick, my hope is rebounding takes care of itself.

you know this how??

Exacty what I was thinking. I was at the game yesterday watching him goof off and shoot threes..I know these aren't game style threes but tge dude was draining them...si he def may have the range...and by the looks of his highlight finds he is def athletic enough to play the three

Our biggest concern should be point guard. Blair is too slow to run the point at any top tier D-1 program. Unless we aren't top tier, Capel should be looking to fix the problem. He is after Cesar and hopefully he is the answer. Our rebounding should dramatically improve with the addition of Osby and Goff.

Our biggest concern should be point guard. Blair is too slow to run the point at any top tier D-1 program. Unless we aren't top tier, Capel should be looking to fix the problem. He is after Cesar and hopefully he is the answer. Our rebounding should dramatically improve with the addition of Osby and Goff.

Agree. The 2 thru the 5 spot will be greatly improved whether its pledger starting at the 2 or Cam... We just need a solid PG. I'm not saying thats not Blair but he has to improve his ball handling and his 3pt shot.

I wouldn't count on a freshman starting at pg over a junior with a full year of Big XII experience and two years of D-I experience. I am not saying it can't happen but I think it is unlikely.

think this thread should be put on pause until after spring signing day and we know who all we have on scholly and how msny signees and who the new players are. Too many unknowns at this point.

Our rebounding is terrible....Fitzgerald is probably the worst rebounding forward I have ever seen...QUOTE]I think that is a little harsh for guy who is forced to play the 5 when he should be a four.However I looked up a few players from Ou's past to compare him to.

Les Pace 6'7 220 undersized and forced to play post 5ppg and 4.3rpg

Jeff Webster 6'8 230 - much heralded Sooner- 17.1 ppg 6.2 rpg

Jonnie Gilbert 6'7 240 3.9 ppg 4.2 rpg

Ace McGehee 6'8 245 looks like King Kong ,plays like Fay Wraye(quote from KS)- 14.5 ppg,6.3 rpg

While While Fitz is only averaging 5.3 rbg you can see that he isn't far off from any of these guys,All played on more talented teams and the two bluechip recruits on this list only beat Fitz by 1 board a game.I'm not saying Fitz is a stud but he is far from the worst rebounding undersized post to play at OU.I could have listed many others: Taylor Griffin ,Terry Stotts come to mind who were sinilar builds and lacklusteron the boards.Fitz is what he is,and will proably be a reserve next year IF we bring in sufficent size and talent for the front line.

I thought Kelvin's quote about Ace McGhee was "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

I'll throw in a third option for Sampson's quote on Ace, "Looks like Godzilla, plays like a nun."

I'll throw in a third option for Sampson's quote on Ace, "Looks like Godzilla, plays like a nun."

In honor of :jcapel, Looks like Jay Z, plays like Beyonce.....:ez-laugh::ez-laugh:

Kelvin had some fantastic one-liners. In 2001, shortly before bricking a FT that would've tied the game (we ended up winning in OT anyway) Kelvin looked into the eyes of Johnnie Gilbert and said, "I could see all the way back to Minnesota."

Our rebounding is terrible....Fitzgerald is probably the worst rebounding forward I have ever seen...QUOTE]I think that is a little harsh for guy who is forced to play the 5 when he should be a four.However I looked up a few players from Ou's past to compare him to.

Les Pace 6'7 220 undersized and forced to play post 5ppg and 4.3rpg

Jeff Webster 6'8 230 - much heralded Sooner- 17.1 ppg 6.2 rpg

Jonnie Gilbert 6'7 240 3.9 ppg 4.2 rpg

Ace McGehee 6'8 245 looks like King Kong ,plays like Fay Wraye(quote from KS)- 14.5 ppg,6.3 rpg

While While Fitz is only averaging 5.3 rbg you can see that he isn't far off from any of these guys,All played on more talented teams and the two bluechip recruits on this list only beat Fitz by 1 board a game.I'm not saying Fitz is a stud but he is far from the worst rebounding undersized post to play at OU.I could have listed many others: Taylor Griffin ,Terry Stotts come to mind who were sinilar builds and lacklusteron the boards.Fitz is what he is,and will proably be a reserve next year IF we bring in sufficent size and talent for the front line.

I can't comment on Les Pace but the others all have reasons to only be slightly better than Fitzgerlad. Webster was not the primary rebounder on the team. He also averaged 6.2 as a sophomore playing under 30 minutes a game as a senior he was above 7. McGhee also had a center playing with him and averaged 7.7 as a senior. Gilbert was actually a pretty solid rebounder and got those boards as a bench player. I personally think Gilbert is a horrible example.

Fitzgerald is doing a nice job scoring but he absolutely has to improve his defense and his rebounding. He is only a sophomore so hopefully that will happen but as the only big playing most of the game he should probably be doing better.

Back