Now it's Kansas' turn in the negative spotlight

What I can't believe is someone sold KU football tickets for $122,000.
Crap, I've been to a dozen games and never paid for a ticket.

I may be alone here but how is this actually bad on KU? I see this as a couple employees doing wrong, but I don't see this as anything that will see any of the teams be punished.

I believe what we're dealing with at OU is much worse.

The involvement with the AAU coaches who sent a lot of players to KU stinks to high heaven.

If it happened with one AAU outfit, it probably happens at others. It has the potential to cause a lot of problems at a lot of schools.

The one possible upside is that some of these AAU scumbags might be exposed for what they are and the NCAA might be forced to stop ignoring them.

What I can't believe is someone sold KU football tickets for $122,000.
Crap, I've been to a dozen games and never paid for a ticket.
I didn't realize Jayhawk fans were that dim-witted. If the Big 12 splits up, KU and KSU would be a perfect fit in C-USA.

I didn't realize Jayhawk fans were that dim-witted. If the Big 12 splits up, KU and KSU would be a perfect fit in C-USA.

The rest of the Big 12 basketball teams can only dream.

Yes, but your ticket prices will quadruple next year in order to make up for the budget shortfall. ;)

:clap
Actually revenue will go up now that the University will get all the ticket money. It's amazing how crooked college sports has become isn't it?

If you ever hear someone say they don't watch the NBA because it's crooked I'm going to pop them in the mouth. It's more straight up than college sports. And I'm watching the Celtics and Magic right now and they are playing harder than many college teams. College athletics is a joke.

I guess you guys did not read the article - this connects Pumps AAU teams to KU recruits to ticket scalping and big money. Pump Brothers get cash for tickets then direct recruits to KU then even cut in some parents in the money operation. I think that is way worse than a mother getting a loan to pay Oak Hill Academy to release a transcript so her son could go to college. Evidently she paid the money back. I am sure my Dad would have gotten a loan to get my high school transcript released if it was necessary.

Think about the recruiting mechanism below.

Roger Morningstar has coached some of those summer traveling teams, one of which included his son, Brady, who committed to Kansas in 2006. Since Jones, Freeman and Roger Morningstar allegedly engaged in scalping tickets through the Pump brothers in 2002, summer traveling teams financed by the Pump brothers have featured at least nine players who went on to play for the Jayhawks. Among them were nationally recruited players Mario Chalmers, David Padgett, Omar Wilkes, Tyrel Reed, Elijah Johnson, Jeff Withey, Travis Releford and Brady Morningstar.

Chalmers’ father, Ronnie, also coached the Pump brothers’ summer traveling team in Alaska, before being hired as the director of basketball operations at KU in 2005. He eventually resigned that position in 2008. And the sons of head coach Bill Self and assistant coach Danny Manning – Tyler Self and Evan Manning – are both currently listed on the rosters of the Pump brothers’ summer traveling teams. Coach Bill Self and Perkins have attended the Pumps’ annual retreat held for coaches and administrators.

I seriously doubt KU was paying Tyrel Reed, Brady Morningstar, Travis Releford and Omar Wilkes to come to campus. Listen, do I think there might have been something fishy going on besides the actual ticket office-Pump brothers exchange? It's possible. However, if you're going to implicate these players, then go after Jordan Farmar as well...he was a higher profile recruit than most of those guys. Go after all the schools who received players from the Pump and Run satellite teams. This has nothing to do with KU, but college basketball in general. Gotta give KU credit though, they may have cheated and won...we just cheated and finished near the bottom of the Big XII.

As for Manning and Self's sons, collegiate coaching is a good ol' boy network. Always has been, always will be. If you are an aspiring Division I coach, you would be an idiot not to be in the good graces of the Pump Brothers, it's just a fact.

College athletics is a joke.

Well, it's been nice knowing you. I guess you won't be wasting your time on this collegiate athletics board any longer.

Here's wishing you all the best in your future endeavors. Enjoy whichever Thunder board you devote your time to henceforth.

Well, it's been nice knowing you. I guess you won't be wasting your time on this collegiate athletics board any longer.

Here's wishing you all the best in your future endeavors. Enjoy whichever Thunder board you devote your time to henceforth.

:clap Now that's the skyvue whose wit and wisdom I've come to know and admire!

Nah, I think I'll stay. I think I'll try your existence on sports message boards and continuosly post about someone, I mean something, I don't like. Yeah, I think that is what I'll do. Then maybe go watch City Slickers and have a Martini.

Then maybe go watch City Slickers and have a Martini./QUOTE]

That could be lethal, but it does explain a lot, and adds to my theory than being a Jayhawk fan is just another form of brain damage.

I am not getting the "ironic" or the "sad" part. I view these people as heroes for helping to bring down the KU basketball program.

I am not getting the "ironic" or the "sad" part. I view these people as heroes for helping to bring down the KU basketball program.

Tony,

I think they basically said they were doing the same thing at OU (but probably not to the same extent) so this could end up really kicking our a$$ with the other stuff that's going on with our basketball program.

Wow, Calaway I had no idea all those people were from OU. That's crazy.

:ez-laugh: It will be interesting to watch the KU hoops program fall apart because of something that has nothing to do with the team.

:ez-laugh: It will be interesting to watch the KU hoops program fall apart because of something that has nothing to do with the team.

'cept for all those kc pimp n run..er i mean pump n run players who play(ed) for KU.

How about Morningstar's dad's implications?

If Sweet Lew is in any way involved then lack of institutional control is a certainty. That would potentially affect every sport @ KU.

There could be a myriad of stuff, yet to be uncovered, that could change the complexion of the situation in a NY minute, but that never stops Cheno from doing his best "Miss Cleo" impersonation.

So Let me get this straight Cheno, this happens under KU's Athletic Departments watch, but they aren't responsible. If this is the case, then how are Joe C. and Jeff C. responsible for the Tiny and Coach O situation, which you have insinuated on this board numerous times?

Back