Odd play in the game yesterday

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Cade got a steal and was on a two on one break with Willie. He turned around and threw the ball to a trailing TC for an off balanced three. That was bizarre. Did anyone else think so?

Cade got a steal and was on a two on one break with Willie. He turned around and threw the ball to a trailing TC for an off balanced three. That was bizarre. Did anyone else think so?

Yeah, I didn't like that at all.

He and WW didn't have the spacing to do anything in the lane. Wasn't a bad kickout, but Tony needs to get set.

He and WW didn't have the spacing to do anything in the lane. Wasn't a bad kickout, but Tony needs to get set.

This is correct. Also Tony was the guy producing and Cade set him up for a wide open 3. Not a bad decision at all.

The lob was there, Willie has hops. Let him go up and get it.

Spacing was fine.

Cade could have either hit WW when they got to the 3 point line (best option). Or he could have faked a pass to Warren at the free throw line. Or he could have thrown the lob.

The play should have ended in an easy two points....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSXwGO40CdI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSXwGO40CdI[/ame]

I stand corrected, he should have given it to Willie early and gotten the pass back for an easy lay up. I still don't think it was an awful play, but it was a bad decision.

Would have rather him give it up early around the 3 pt line for a possible layup, but that was a good look for TC and wasnt off balanced at all...

Under Tubbs OU did that all the time. It was very common for the fast break to end with a three. It was unfortunate that they could not get it to Willie and a more traditional three point play but I don't really have a problem with a three on a break like that.

Okay, I was wrong. Just bad timing. Cade went hard with his last two dribbles, and as soon as he tried to get the defender to commit, the defender "got on him", thus taking away the passing angle. Cade probably should have gotten to WW sooner, but the defender really hadn't committed at that time, and that is what you are tought to do, wait, and make him commit.

Okay, I was wrong. Just bad timing. Cade went hard with his last two dribbles, and as soon as he tried to get the defender to commit, the defender "got on him", thus taking away the passing angle. Cade probably should have gotten to WW sooner, but the defender really hadn't committed at that time, and that is what you are tought to do, wait, and make him commit.

I agree with you. After he took the final two hard dribbles, then going to Crock was a good option because two more defenders had made it back.

VCU did a really nice job of getting back as a unit yesterday.

I erupted from my sofa in a fit of rage when that happened.

Would have rather him give it up early around the 3 pt line for a possible layup, but that was a good look for TC and wasnt off balanced at all...

Give it to the guy that is the better decision maker. The Problem was he thought he could run out for a slam and they recovered quicker than he thought.

Personally, I'll take the wide-open three over a risky lob play any day.

Players are coached to do this. Here is the thinking: If we have a two on one break and hit the trailer for a three, we get a wide open three and we out number the defender 2 to 1 for the rebound. A solid block out and we are getting an easy layup on the miss.

Cade failed to address two critical aspects of this coaching philosophy. One, you have to decide if your two can out rebound their one. And two, how far ahead you are in the break. Cade should have realized that the team was going to recover taking away the rebounding advantage. Thus, he should have made the early pass and got the layup.

I'm sure Capel is happy that Cade is applying what he is learning in practice, even if it was misapplied. This mistakes are good teaching points.

Players are coached to do this. Here is the thinking: If we have a two on one break and hit the trailer for a three, we get a wide open three and we out number the defender 2 to 1 for the rebound. A solid block out and we are getting an easy layup on the miss.

Cade failed to address two critical aspects of this coaching philosophy. One, you have to decide if your two can out rebound their one. And two, how far ahead you are in the break. Cade should have realized that the team was going to recover taking away the rebounding advantage. Thus, he should have made the early pass and got the layup.

I'm sure Capel is happy that Cade is applying what he is learning in practice, even if it was misapplied. This mistakes are good teaching points.

Here is the problem, by the time Cade made the pass to Crock, there were three VCU guys in the paint.

I love being able to break this play down. Thank you, youtube! :)

Back