Oklahoman: Sherri Coale knew Tyler Neal could play Division I basketball

I'd suggest Sherri concentrate more on girls who can play a high level of D1 basketball and leave the guys recruiting to the Men's coaches.

I'd suggest Sherri concentrate more on girls who can play a high level of D1 basketball and leave the guys recruiting to the Men's coaches.

Since the men's coach at the time couldn't recognize talent, someone needed to hand him a clue.

What an ignorant and unnecessary comment.

uh oh, watch out guys....the womens hoops supporters are showing up. this could get ugly

uh oh, watch out guys....the womens hoops supporters are showing up. this could get ugly

Why turn an article that was written in honor of Neal into an opportunity to bash Sherri. And if you feel you must bash Sherri, why not go to the women's board to do so. That's all I'm saying.

Oh and by the way, one would hope that the supporters of the men's team are also supporters of the women's team and vice versa.

Oh and by the way, one would hope that the supporters of the men's team are also supporters of the women's team and vice versa.

I completely agree. Even if you don't enjoy watching the OU women, you should still want them to have success. Why wouldn't you?

Why turn an article that was written in honor of Neal into an opportunity to bash Sherri.

Exactly. The OP on this thread posted this article in honor of Tyler Neal, a wonderful and successful Sooner senior.

Thank you Tyler, and best wishes in the future.

Why turn an article that was written in honor of Neal into an opportunity to bash Sherri. And if you feel you must bash Sherri, why not go to the women's board to do so. That's all I'm saying.

Where did I bash Sherri? I don't have an issue with her at all.
And if I did, I wouldn't go to the women's board b/c of the kind of posters that frequent it.

I've been a few times to give an opinion and if you do not go along with the consensus, they attack you in groups. Or if you try to make a joke, they call you a pig,etc.

Very different types post there. Ones that will call you out and say you are an idiot if you mispell Sherry's name...

my goodness people, how wonderful and successful Sr Tyler Neal is, has been much debated until the past 10 games. For 85% of his career here he belonged at a school like OC or SNU where Sherri came from.
Her recruiting sucks lately and her advice for recruiting Neal, as wonderful as he may be the last 10 games, wasn't all that wonderful.

My advice to her would be get rid of your kiss butt assts and get some real assts in there that can recruit big time and coach fundamentals.

my goodness people, how wonderful and successful Sr Tyler Neal is, has been much debated until the past 10 games. For 85% of his career here he belonged at a school like OC or SNU where Sherri came from.
Her recruiting sucks lately and her advice for recruiting Neal, as wonderful as he may be the last 10 games, wasn't all that wonderful.

My advice to her would be get rid of your kiss butt assts and get some real assts in there that can recruit big time and coach fundamentals.

You're welcome to your opinion, just as someone who disagrees with you is. But it belongs on the women's board. I suspect SoonerTraveler posted the article here as a tribute to Tyler and this thread has turned into anything but that.

How on earth do you make it to three Final Fours with a bunch of clueless assistant coaches who don't know fundamentals and can't recruit?

Seriously, Romulus ... if Sherri Coale went out and hired an assistant coach who'd been the lead assistant for a program that had been to 3 Final fours, an additional 6 Sweet 16's, and had coached 13 WNBA players, you would praise the move. That's the resume of Jan Ross.

Chad Thrailkill has been to two Final Fours and 4 Sweet 16's, and has coached 9 WNBA players.

Pam DeCosta was part of the staff that built the OU program from the ground-up and has also been to 3 Sweet 16's.

Just because their experience has been with Oklahoma doesn't mean their experience isn't worthwhile or that the resume is any less impressive. Sherri Coale has been doing this for a long time her way. She's had peaks and valleys, but I'll bank on the way she's built the program any day. She's doing it the right way.

I like the photo that accompanies the story. I am sure there is some metaphor involving hard work and attitude outweighing talent when it comes to who gets to be on a D-1 roster or something
w300-f6d7ecce11efb06c83480ad2c5b3e066.jpg

Last edited:

Turns out, there is more to team-building success than guru awarded recruiting stars and "pure talent."

Compared to the likes of "super star recruits" such as Tommie Mason-Griffin and Tiny Gallon, the student-athlete named Tyler Neal has contributed greatly to rebuilding a successful OU basketball program.

I am proud to be a Sooner fan, and I am proud that Tyler Neal is on "my" team. Tyler is a fine representative of the University of Oklahoma, and will be for the rest of his life.

When you have 13 scholarship spots available, there will always be room for at least one Tyler Neal, a fine player and a better person; and someone that always wanted to be a Sooner.

How on earth do you make it to three Final Fours with a bunch of clueless assistant coaches who don't know fundamentals and can't recruit?

Seriously, Romulus ... if Sherri Coale went out and hired an assistant coach who'd been the lead assistant for a program that had been to 3 Final fours, an additional 6 Sweet 16's, and had coached 13 WNBA players, you would praise the move. That's the resume of Jan Ross.

Chad Thrailkill has been to two Final Fours and 4 Sweet 16's, and has coached 9 WNBA players.

Pam DeCosta was part of the staff that built the OU program from the ground-up and has also been to 3 Sweet 16's.

Just because their experience has been with Oklahoma doesn't mean their experience isn't worthwhile or that the resume is any less impressive. Sherri Coale has been doing this for a long time her way. She's had peaks and valleys, but I'll bank on the way she's built the program any day. She's doing it the right way.

If someone tries to participate on the women's board, someone like you comes with this same load of crap. There is no tenure in any competitive business. Especially in the coaching business.

It doesn't matter where Sherri set the bar. She is falling short of the standards she set. Mediocre is never going to be good enough for any sport at OU. Men's or women's. If it takes Sherri making some changes to get back to a highly competitive level, then that is what she needs to do.

Now with that said, Sherri having to scout players for Capel is more of commentary on Capel than Sherri. Tyler is doing a fine job and I couldn't be happier for him.

Back