Oklahoman: Sherri Coale knew Tyler Neal could play Division I basketball

If someone tries to participate on the women's board, someone like you comes with this same load of crap. There is no tenure in any competitive business. Especially in the coaching business.

It doesn't matter where Sherri set the bar. She is falling short of the standards she set. Mediocre is never going to be good enough for any sport at OU. Men's or women's. If it takes Sherri making some changes to get back to a highly competitive level, then that is what she needs to do.

Now with that said, Sherri having to scout players for Capel is more of commentary on Capel than Sherri. Tyler is doing a fine job and I couldn't be happier for him.

Well said Gary. We need look no further than exhibit 1 - Bob Stoops. He and most everyone paying attention to the football program felt like it was slowly slipping away from elite status (from bowl performances to not being in the MNC conversation). He made some tough choices and let some long time asst coaches (and friends) go. And here we are two years later....fresh off a BCS win over mighty Bama with an injury ravaged team. And the football program is ascending once again.

Having said that....I really like Sherri. I hope she does what she needs to do (and she needs to do something) in order to get the Womens program back to where it was.

And Tyler seems like a great kid as well.

If someone tries to participate on the women's board, someone like you comes with this same load of crap. There is no tenure in any competitive business. Especially in the coaching business.

It doesn't matter where Sherri set the bar. She is falling short of the standards she set. Mediocre is never going to be good enough for any sport at OU. Men's or women's. If it takes Sherri making some changes to get back to a highly competitive level, then that is what she needs to do.

Now with that said, Sherri having to scout players for Capel is more of commentary on Capel than Sherri. Tyler is doing a fine job and I couldn't be happier for him.

This. Great post.

"Same load of crap."

It's not crap! Some people choose to deal in facts instead of irrational, knee-jerk reactions to a bad year. The difference between you and me is that I believe Sherri Coale is going to get OU back to a highly competitive level. I've seen her do it many times over her career. And believe it or not, she's done with the current staff! Go figure!

"Same load of crap."

It's not crap! Some people choose to deal in facts instead of irrational, knee-jerk reactions to a bad year. The difference between you and me is that I believe Sherri Coale is going to get OU back to a highly competitive level. I've seen her do it many times over her career. And believe it or not, she's done with the current staff! Go figure!

Your lack of ability to process new information doesn't make others irrational.

Alright, let's play your game.

Let's suppose one year, you go 32-4 and make it to the national championship. You're a genius coach!

Then some "new information" comes along. Your next few years are the following: 19-13, 24-9 & 17-13. During those three years, you finish no better than fifth in the league. Obviously, you've become lazy. Your assistant coaches aren't recruiting. You got fat and happy with your Final Four run. Clearly, a lot of things around the program need to change. Join me in processing this new information, gary!

Fast forward five years.

2 Final Fours & a 140 wins over the next five years.

That's OU women's basketball from 2003-2010. Of course, you probably weren't even aware or had a clue.

SK,

Do you still keep up with the men's program? What do you think of Lon Kruger? Odd that this would get you posting again. Always enjoyed reading your opinions and hope to see you around here more often.

SK,

Do you still keep up with the men's program? What do you think of Lon Kruger? Odd that this would get you posting again. Always enjoyed reading your opinions and hope to see you around here more often.

BT - still follow the men's program very closely! I also read the boards, just don't post often. I don't like to get myself too worked up over senseless arguments too often.

I think Lon Kruger is the absolute best basketball coach Joe Castiglione could have hired. It wasn't just a home run hire. It was a grand slam hire. I'm in awe of what Lon Kruger has done at OU in just a short time frame. I couldn't be happier. I absolutely love to watch the team play, and I think the atmosphere he has created within the program is incredible. As his teams continue to get better, I believe the fan base will gradually pick up again. I haven't given up on that. Lon Kruger is a Hall of Fame coach, and we are seeing why. There's no way we could have done better. Joe Castiglione won me over for eternity when he hired Kruger.

I should add that Kruger seems to be an incredible person on top of being an elite basketball coach. It's almost like it's "too good to be true" with what I read and hear about him. I know some people close to the program, and they are in love with him. I've never heard someone say a bad word about him. I could go on and on and on.

Last edited:
Alright, let's play your game.

Let's suppose one year, you go 32-4 and make it to the national championship. You're a genius coach!

Then some "new information" comes along. Your next few years are the following: 19-13, 24-9 & 17-13. During those three years, you finish no better than fifth in the league. Obviously, you've become lazy. Your assistant coaches aren't recruiting. You got fat and happy with your Final Four run. Clearly, a lot of things around the program need to change. Join me in processing this new information, gary!

Fast forward five years.

2 Final Fours & a 140 wins over the next five years.

That's OU women's basketball from 2003-2010. Of course, you probably weren't even aware or had a clue.

Are you another one of those old fools with a crush on a younger than you Sherri? Maybe one of the days she will flash you a smile or one of those big ole Sarah Palin winks. Maybe, after that, you can make an objective evaluation.

Back