Old student tradition making its way back for the Texas game

Over the past three years, the capelables have tried to bring back old hoops traditions that somehow were lost towards the end of the Sampson era. We brought back the balloons. We brought back the newspapers.

One thing that has been lacking that will rear its ugly head on Saturday is the shredded newspaper flying up from the student section when the Sooners hit their first bucket/key buckets. Be on the lookout for this blast from the past.

shredded-papers.jpg

I recall that but what I recall most was the papers during introduction. The students would all read the paper while the other team was introduced and then yell who cares. As soon as that was done they started making confetti.

I was also a big fan of the "Hey Ref! You Suck!" chant. That is one of my all time favorites. Basketball games in Norman are some of my best memories from college. It seems so odd to me that lots of students don't care about basketball. I loved every game, even in the 1990s after the streak ended to Duke.

His bromance with Heskett and Stone brought him to the games. Then when those guys left I just don't think his heart was in it anymore.

Although, he was back for the OSU game (or maybe it was Missouri). He was sitting in the lower south end and before the game ran down to the edge of the seats by the tunnel when the team was going back into the locker room before the game.

He leaned over the edge yelled "Yeah Baby!" and stuck his hand out for TMG to give him a high five, but TMG just stone cold ignored the guy and walked right by him even though his hand was inches from his face. It was and funny at the same time.

Yeah that kinda sucks. I miss having the guy there. True story, the OU football team was playing Texas A&M a few years back. My dad and I happened to catch him on tv 2 different times. Later that night, we went to the basketball game, and although he was a few minutes late, neighbor Bob made the game.

I wouldnt mind seeing Soonerman either at the games. I think people like that enlighten the atmosphere some. I felt sorry for his boy lol, but both of them cheered the team on and chanted with the best of them.

If Soonerman came back he could crowd surf the Capelables.

Back