One other thing I noticed last night.....

SoonerfanTU

Banned
Reaction score
Teams have been shooting pretty well against us. Alot of that is b/c they get open looks, but even the semi-contested shots, seems like teams are making alot of them. It hit me last night that the biggest reason for that is that we never make the other team uncomfortable. Not just in driving to the hoop, but even on jumpers. Good defensive teams make you uncomfortable. If you like shooting at the top of the key, they make you shoot one step over. If you are good from 15 feet, they push you out to 17 feet. Against this OU team, the offense gets the ball exactly where they want to. We don't bump people out further. We don't re-route them when they are coming off screens. We don't get physical at all. And we don't disrupt the timing of their offense.

Just something that really hit home last night.

Teams have been shooting pretty well against us. Alot of that is b/c they get open looks, but even the semi-contested shots, seems like teams are making alot of them. It hit me last night that the biggest reason for that is that we never make the other team uncomfortable. Not just in driving to the hoop, but even on jumpers. Good defensive teams make you uncomfortable. If you like shooting at the top of the key, they make you shoot one step over. If you are good from 15 feet, they push you out to 17 feet. Against this OU team, the offense gets the ball exactly where they want to. We don't bump people out further. We don't re-route them when they are coming off screens. We don't get physical at all. And we don't disrupt the timing of their offense.

I thought Tiny did good last night at getting out on his guy to make him uncomfortable. I agree with your post though.

I agree I thought tiny played much better on defense this game....I was impressive how he would leave his man to come over and try and block shots...that made me smile and hope that he is learning

Your exactly right. And I will go a step further and say we should let guys get "free" passes off...contest every pass in hopes it is off the mark to make the shooter have to adjust

I really don't know what Capel's defensive philosophy is. Well, or offensive philosophy, for that matter.

Good points. I think foot speed (or the lack thereof) has a lot to do with why this team doesn't body up and put pressure on people. Cade, Tony and TMG are not that bad. Tiny is improving. But the other players simply can't hang with their man, and that puts more pressure on the rest of the team, when it should be the other way around. Even Tony was not himself last night. He got caught out of position several times by overplaying and trying for steals or reaching in when he got beat off the dribble.

I'm hoping some of the flaws we have seen on defense this season can be corrected during the summer through workouts and agility drills that focus on improving the players' ability to play a man to man defense.

I'm with ya TU. At first I want to say "man every team shoots lights out against us". But at some point there is a reason why and you nailed it.

I really don't know what Capel's defensive philosophy is. Well, or offensive philosophy, for that matter.

I don't either. I have tried to assume it is because I am just a fan and never played organized basketball. But you played in college. Between the two of us, I would hope one of us could figure it out.

We will get at least one more year to figure it out. Hopefully it will be a bit more obvious next season.

Good defensive teams make you start your offense from a lot higher up, we just don't have the horses, hence why we are such a bad defensive team.

Perhaps someone who speaks with Capel on a regular basis could ask him to explain his defensive (and offensive) philosophy. That way, we could sound like we knew what we were talking about when we questioned his coaching ability. :ez-laugh:

Back