OSU at Stanford Tonight

Pretty poor ballgame for my Pokes. Survival is what counts I guess. It is still hard for me to watch Ford's defensive philosophy.

Yes, foul trouble be damned, Obi Muonelo should not ever at any point in time guard the opponents best perimeter scorer.

I believe the final foul disparity was: 25 - 12 to Stanford. OSU was playing more aggressive on defense and shooting some 3's. But these were PAC-10 refs.

Anyways. Ugly, ugly win.

Anderson is a tremendous offensive player but a defensive liability. Our bigs did not rotate well at all tonight. Penn is super quick and plays good d for a frosh. If OSU is to finish in the top half of the big 12 there remains a lot of work to do.

How is that for a bunch of topic sentences with no follow up?

Really OSU and OU both rely on too much youth to make an accurate prediction at this point. It could go either way considering the youth this season.

Last edited:
I didn't think OSU looked bad. I actually thought they looked descent. It seemed like they had a lot of guys that could contribute. I guess the real question is how good/bad is Stanford.

Yeah... the thing is that OSU is playing right now about like we were playing last December.

The difference is that our non-conference schedule last year was a bit tougher.

Our last chance to get a good non-conference win will come at Rhode Island on Jan. 2. We're going to need to play much better to have a chance to win that game.

The Chemistry still isn't there. Failure to close out at the end of both halves is where we really miss Byron. Penn is a nice player, I'd like to see him get more aggressive.

and I'd like to see Pilgrim be slightly less aggressive. Good Lord.

A win is a win.

What's the big 12's record versus the pac 10 now?

Edit** Just looked it up and it is 9-2.

love it.

8-2 in the Hardwood Challenge, 9-2 if you include Nebraska's earlier win over USC.

the most alarming aspect of last night's game was fox sports' use of cgi ads on the court. we must put our collegiate alliances aside because we shall not stand for this, people. eff toyo tires.

The Chemistry still isn't there. Failure to close out at the end of both halves is where we really miss Byron. Penn is a nice player, I'd like to see him get more aggressive.

and I'd like to see Pilgrim be slightly less aggressive. Good Lord.

Agreed on both counts.

This team is reminding me of Sean's first team... the one where Eaton/Harris/etc. were sophomores.

They would play really well for the first 15 minutes of both halves and then just implode in the last 5 minutes.

This team isn't quite to the "implode" factor just yet, but they've certainly had a number of games that should have been blowouts but weren't because of sloppy play to either end the first or second half.

The Utah game in Vegas was about the only game this season where they didn't have an end-of-half meltdown.

That Tulsa game was absolutly lost in the last 5 minutes of the first half, when TU pushed their lead from the 5-7 point range to 20 points. Then OSU played them even in the second half.

I'm hoping that the chemistry improves this year like it did last year, because this team does have talent and has a good shot at making the tournament, if they can "tighten up" the play at the end of halves.

The biggest problem with OSU is that they can be gameplanned easy. You can attack the two small guards and even Gulley. Also, they are still small upfront. Pilgrim gives them some more depth, but when he's off the court, Franklin and Munelo aren't going to be able to handle teams with solid 4men. Page is a guy that can only knock down a really wide open three. If there is a man within five feet of him, he's ineffective.

I can't wait to see these guys shoot with Davis and Crocker in their grill.

OSU is going to need more consistency from Moses, Muonelo and Page. It seems like only 1 of the 3 have good games and they take turns doing it. Saturday Moses has 21 and Muonelo has 2, Wednesday Moses has 0 and Muonelo gets 20. Page gets 6 or 8 a game then hits 5 or 6 threes and has 20.

Penn can score a lot better than he has shown but I suspect he will be up and down with point production all year. I did like his handles last night but he made up for some of that with poor decision making on his passes.

OSU is going to need more consistency from Moses, Muonelo and Page. It seems like only 1 of the 3 have good games and they take turns doing it. Saturday Moses has 21 and Muonelo has 2, Wednesday Moses has 0 and Muonelo gets 20. Page gets 6 or 8 a game then hits 5 or 6 threes and has 20.

Penn can score a lot better than he has shown but I suspect he will be up and down with point production all year. I did like his handles last night but he made up for some of that with poor decision making on his passes.

Agreed.

Moses has actually been pretty consistent until last night, when the Pac 10 officials did as good of a job of shutting him down as Stanford did.

He's been averaging right around a double-double all season, which is basically what he did last year during Big 12 play.

I posted this in another thread, but the main problem has been that Anderson and Page are both shooting well below their 3-point average from last year, especally Anderson.

He's shooting 31% this year after hitting 41% last year.

Page is not quite down as much (36% vs. 40%), but he's still down.

I've actually been very pleased with Penn's play. I think as he improves, so will OSU. He needs to work the ball inside the paint more... the odd thing is that Penn played his best game against the best team we played (Tulsa)... he was all over the place... knocking down threes and getting into the paint and scoring. I'd like to see him do more of that.

Back