OSU lands Markel Brown for 2010

thebigabd

Reaction score
OSU basketball: Cowboys land commmitment

By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer
Published: 6/8/2009 1:23 PM
Last Modified: 6/8/2009 1:25 PM

Markel Brown, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Peabody Magnet High School in Alexandria, La., has committed to the Oklahoma State basketball program, according to his coach, Charles Smith.

Brown averaged 28.5 points as a junior last season and was chosen first-team Class 4A All-State. He also was voted MVP of the All-Central Louisiana team and is considered to be one of the top recruits in Louisiana in the class of 2010.

Commitments are non-binding. The early signing period for basketball is Nov. 11-18.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090608_93_0_Markel922707

Boy, it's weird that I get first notice of a OSU commitment on an OU board.

Apparently, he had a very impressive camp.

I think OSU will take 2 wings, and a post (or two) depending on if Johnson ever makes it in.

I think OSU will take 2 wings, and a post (or two) depending on if Johnson ever makes it in.

How many scholarships does OSU have for 2010? Assuming Johnson and Shaw never make it.

OSU would sign 5 wings and 3 under 6ft sgs if they could. Mr. Brown better learn how to defend the post.

How many scholarships does OSU have for 2010? Assuming Johnson and Shaw never make it.

Johnson is not going to make it period because the NCAA has announced they won't be accepting high school credit from Laurinberg prep. Now Johnson was only there a semester, but throughout all his school changes, his transript will probably need a year or two to be cleared up. This also figures in to why no one has picked up Roscoe Davis, the center that was looking at OSU this spring. Looks to be an uphill battle for OSU at the post with Johnson and Shaw probably not making it and now Ford calling Akol "inherently lazy". I'd rather be called what Obi was.

Last edited:

Obi graduates, and I'm betting Anderson goes pro, then the 2 that went to Johnson and Shaw. So, it's looking like 4, barring no defections.

The danger of Butch Pierre is that he can recruit Louisana, Dallas and Houston very well. OSU is already in on the top three guys in that state. Now snatching a guy from Trent Johnson is going to be hard, but Pierre might be able to do that.

baylor hits louisiana really hard too. it's good for them to have some big 12 competition for those players..

Johnson is not going to make it period because the NCAA has announced they won't be accepting high school credit from Laurinberg prep. Now Johnson was only there a semester, but throughout all his school changes, his transript will probably need a year or two to be cleared up. This also figures in to why no one has picked up Roscoe Davis, the center that was looking at OSU this spring. Looks to be an uphill battle for OSU at the post with Johnson and Shaw probably not making it and now Ford calling Akol "inherently lazy". I'd rather be called what Obi was.

DM - When did he call Akol "inherently lazy"? (not doubting, just missed the quote. My favorite was the Daily Oklahoman story about him in which another player was quoted as saying when he doesn't want to listen or respond he just acts like he doesn't understand English. Sweet teammate

I wonder if the little guy would like takesy backseys on Mr. Akol

DM - When did he call Akol "inherently lazy"? (not doubting, just missed the quote. My favorite was the Daily Oklahoman story about him in which another player was quoted as saying when he doesn't want to listen or respond he just acts like he doesn't understand English. Sweet teammate

I wonder if the little guy would like takesy backseys on Mr. Akol

OSU basketball coach Travis Ford: Teeng Akol ‘has work to do’

Published: June 8, 2009
The Oklahoma State basketball team that ended up scrapping its way into the second — and nearly the third — round of the NCAA Tournament last year looked a lot different in March than it did in November.

Featured Gallery

Advertisement

It looked a lot better, but it also looked a lot shorter. Remember back in November, when there was thought that if OSU could just get Teeng Akol eligible, the Cowboys would have a pair of (nearly) 7-foot African players who could be major factors by the time the Big 12 season started?

By New Year’s, that plan was a bust as Ibrahima Thomas was transferring to Cincinnati, and OSU had figured out that Akol was nowhere near ready to contribute.

Looking at next year and beyond, OSU coach Travis Ford still has high hopes for Akol.

He would like for Akol to be a major contributor, giving him some flexibility, and allowing the emerging star, Marshall Moses, to play some minutes at the four position.

But Akol will have some competition from incoming freshman Torin Walker, the first freshman to arrive in town. The 6-foot-10 newcomer has challenged Akol in pickup games already.

"I tell (Akol) regularly, we need him to be ready to play,” Ford said. "I tell him, ‘We’re depending on you.’ I do think that he’s working hard and he wants this, but he’s inherently lazy. He’s a great, great young man, but you’ve got to stay on top of him.”

As Ford has said since February, this is going to be an important summer for Akol.

"This is a huge summer for him,” Ford said this week. "He’s got to get stronger, he’s got to lose weight in his gut. He’s got to improve his reaction time from spot to spot. He’s got to be able to jump quicker. He’s got work to do.”

Akol had originally hoped to spend the couple weeks the players had off with his family in Egypt (Akol is originally from Sudan but lived in Cairo from the time he was age 5 until high school).

Instead, he spent several weeks working out with the college and pro players down in Houston with John Lucas.

Akol said the time in Houston was hard but good, and there were a lot of good players down there. Ford got some informal and unofficial scouting reports from former Cowboy Terrel Harris, who has been working out with Lucas.

"Terrel’s down there, and he’s been telling me that things went pretty good for (Teeng), so that was good,” Ford said.

As far as pickup games since his return to Stillwater last week, those have been going OK, too.

"He’s doing good,” Moses said. "I’m trying to get him toughened up. He’s coming along.”

He's a hardcore coach

check out this guy on youtube

Markel, is that you? Orangepower.com will show you more love. haha

Here is your vid. You look pretty good bud. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ5iJv1o7_U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ5iJv1o7_U[/ame]

Both of our recruits are serious athletes. Finally getting some perimeter guys with good length.

Unless Ford has intentions of cutting Akol loose we are full with the addition of Pilgrim and the arrival of Shaw.

That said I think Ford would drop Akol for Cobbins or Washburn faster than he can say F@$*!

Both of our recruits are serious athletes. Finally getting some perimeter guys with good length.

Unless Ford has intentions of cutting Akol loose we are full with the addition of Pilgrim and the arrival of Shaw.

OSU's 2010 class is going to be very good... Brown and Williams will be 4-star guys, and they are both good shooters and great athletes.

Has anyone else heard that they got Matt Pilgrim? Orangepower is claiming he has signed...

Back