OSU-Mizzou

I agree.

Especially when the whole team is red-hot from 3-point range.

On the season, Mizzou is less than 30 percent as a team from 3-point range... and today they go 17 of 31 (54%). Typical.

If they are anywhere near their season average, OSU probably wins up there.

Plus, Pilgrim finally had a breakout game in Big 12 play (21 and 9)... it would be very good for OSU if this serves as a confidence building game for him and we can consistently get close to a double-double from him.

Our guards have trouble defending any team with a good perimeter game, especially with Penn out. Its tough to say that OSU wins up there without them shooting good when we cant guard anyone on the perimeter anyway.

Any team with good guard play is going to give OSU trouble. Its funny because I thought it would be the other way around. We cant guard the 3 point shot.

Do you still believe OU is a better team than OU? OSU give 110% all game every game, that alone makes them the better team

We shall see. If OU goes into Stillwater and loses by 10+ then OSU is obviously the better team.

We shall see. If OU goes into Stillwater and loses by 10+ then OSU is obviously the better team.

OSU is obviously the better team right now.

Outside of the two consecutive home games against OSU and Mizzou, OU has played with very little effort or consistency.

On the season Mizzou is shooting 38% from three as a team, which is 50th nationally and 6th in the Big 12. This after a horrible team-wide slump lasting several games (two weeks ago MU ranked 25th nationally in three point percentage).

If MU shoots its average, the game is tied at 80.

My mistake. I was going by what the announcers were saying... (probabaly a big mistake...) ;) I guess they were referring to Mizzou's shooting slump over the past several weeks.

Still... even a very good 3-point shooting team would normallly struggle to make 50+% on 30+ attempts. OSU was just unlucky they played Mizzou when everyone on the team was hot.

Last edited:
OSU is obviously the better team right now.

Outside of the two consecutive home games against OSU and Mizzou, OU has played with very little effort or consistency.

My mistake. I was going by what the announcers were saying... (probabaly a big mistake...) ;) I guess they were referring to Mizzou's shooting slump over the past several weeks.

Still... even a very good 3-point shooting team would normallly struggle to make 50+% on 30+ attempts. OSU was just unlucky they played Mizzou when everyone on the team was hot.

Jeff do you think that if we would have done a decent job of guarding them then maybe they wouldnt have shot so well? Some of it was unlucky but we didnt play well enough to win on the road. WAY too many turnovers and no peremiter D whatsoever.

On the season Mizzou is shooting 38% from three as a team, which is 50th nationally and 6th in the Big 12. This after a horrible team-wide slump lasting several games (two weeks ago MU ranked 25th nationally in three point percentage).

If MU shoots its average, the game is tied at 80.

It's hard to say what would happen if MU shoots their average. Maybe they get their own rebound and get second chance points. I would have to think OSU gets most of the rebounds. By MU making so many shots it allowed them to set up the press, which led to several TO's. Every run OSU made was a result of a defensive rebound leading to points in transitions.

It happens, in turn OSU will beat some teams because of great shooting, it all evens out in the end.

Last edited:
Jeff do you think that if we would have done a decent job of guarding them then maybe they wouldnt have shot so well? Some of it was unlucky but we didnt play well enough to win on the road. WAY too many turnovers and no peremiter D whatsoever.

They had some wide open looks due to turnovers, but for the most part, they were guarded.

I don't care how poor perimeter defense is, it is VERY tough for any team to shoot greater than 50% from 3-point range on 30+ attempts.

That's just the case of a team having 3-4 players who are very hot.

We've certainly seen that happen with OSU... most recently the home game against A&M the other night, when Anderson, Muenelo and Page were all hot. It's not like A&M wasn't guarding us... we were just knocking down almost every shot.

It's just something that happens from time to time.

I was actually fairly pleased with how OSU battled back several times from some pretty steep deficits because of Mizzou's barrage of 3s. We were down by 15 halfway through the first half and cut it to 8 at the break. We were also down 17 early in the second half and cut it to 2 around the 8-minute mark before their final 3-point barrage that we couldn't overcome.

P.S. I agree with you about not playing well enough to win. The turnovers, more than Mizzou's hot 3-point shooting, led to the loss. It's not a coincidence that OSU's 2-3 runs to get back into the game after being down huge corrisponded with relatively turnover-free stretches of play. Fred Gulley was totally overwhelmed by the press. I would have loved to see how Ray Penn would have handled it.... oh well... :(

Back