OU coach Jeff Capel relates to players >>> The Oklahoman

David Ubben said:
"He’s the face of the program. He’s the guy who players come to play for,” Warren said. "It’s not about me...It’s about Coach Capel. This is his program. Everything we do is based off what he tells us to do.”

I love that he can relate to the players while still maintaining his authority as the coach.

I love Willie. But someone needs to tell him that Bill Self played at OSU for four years and was Big 8 Freshman of the Year. And Coach K played for Bob Knight at Army. Those guys have played the game, too. I'm sure Bill Self and Coach K will never see this article, but you'd have to believe they'd laugh at Willie's ignorance of history if they did.

I love Willie. But someone needs to tell him that Bill Self played at OSU for four years and was Big 8 Freshman of the Year. And Coach K played for Bob Knight at Army. Those guys have played the game, too. I'm sure Bill Self and Coach K will never see this article, but you'd have to believe they'd laugh at Willie's ignorance of history if they did.

I think he was more talking about Coach K and Coach Self not playing in a final four. At least that is how I took it....

I hope that wasn't all you took away from the article. I really enjoyed it.

"He’s the face of the program. He’s the guy who players come to play for,” Warren said. "It’s not about me...It’s about Coach Capel. This is his program. Everything we do is based off what he tells us to do.”

Great, great quote.

I love how Willie texted coach to ask why he wasn't recruiting him. That is so awesome.

I love how Willie texted coach to ask why he wasn't recruiting him. That is so awesome.

Moreso, it shows why as a recruiter you have to turn over every leaf because you do not know under which you will find the plum.

I think he was more talking about Coach K and Coach Self not playing in a final four. At least that is how I took it....

I hope that wasn't all you took away from the article. I really enjoyed it.

Well, Capel relating really well with players is something we've all known for quite some time. That just jumped out at me when I read it, because I found it pretty funny. As did some of my Aggie/Jayhawk friends. But it's understandable...most teenagers/young college athletes are oblivious to a lot of things.

Well, Capel relating really well with players is something we've all known for quite some time. That just jumped out at me when I read it, because I found it pretty funny. As did some of my Aggie/Jayhawk friends. But it's understandable...most teenagers/young college athletes are oblivious to a lot of things.

Again, you took it a certain way. I am not sure what he meant, but its a little harsh to call Willie "oblivious" when the quote isn't clear as to what he meant. I bet you wouldn't assume (or bring out the word oblivious) if it was anything relating to Coale or Sampson, but I digress.

I would need to see the entire set of Willie quotes in context to make a final call, but you could be right.

This is a dumb point, so let's get back to enjoying the article. Sorry for sidetracking....

"I wanted to play for someone who played the game, not just somebody who read the books and went to the clinics,” Warren said. "He’s been to a Final Four.

I think you are totaly misreading this. One, the level of basketball Self, and especially Coach K, played are no where close to the level Capel played. He was one of the most highly touted high school players of his day, lead a team as a freshman to the final four (and championship game), played in the ACC when it was clearly the dominate conference. Two, Self did recruit him, but this quote may be referencing the line right above it in the article about Willie's secret commitment. Everyone thought he committed to Baylor on his visit (and word is, he did). So the conversation went like this. Coach Capel thought you had committed to Baylor. A commitment your mother supposedly had to talk you out of. Why didn't you go to Baylor and play for Scott Drew? Then Warren's statement about a coach playing high level college basketball.

It's great Coach Capel can relate to his players. But quite frankly, we've read this story before, and in my opinion it's time for reporters to look for a new angle when writing features about the Oklahoma basketball program and it's head coach. One begins to get the opinion that the only thing a program has to do to be successful is to hire a young Jay-Z fan that can relate to college kids. Candidly, I think it's pretty insulting to Coach Capel, who is about a whole hell of a lot more than that.

Again, you took it a certain way. I am not sure what he meant, but its a little harsh to call Willie "oblivious" when the quote isn't clear as to what he meant. I bet you wouldn't assume (or bring out the word oblivious) if it was anything relating to Coale or Sampson, but I digress.

I would need to see the entire set of Willie quotes in context to make a final call, but you could be right.

This is a dumb point, so let's get back to enjoying the article. Sorry for sidetracking....

Oh dear gosh.

It's great Coach Capel can relate to his players. But quite frankly, we've read this story before, and in my opinion it's time for reporters to look for a new angle when writing features about the Oklahoma basketball program and it's head coach. One begins to get the opinion that the only thing a program has to do to be successful is to hire a young Jay-Z fan that can relate to college kids. Candidly, I think it's pretty insulting to Coach Capel, who is about a whole hell of a lot more than that.

I see what you are saying, but I am not sure that I have seen this article come out in one of the Oklahoma newspapers (don't quote me on that). Sure, all of us know, and have known, for a couple of years now that Coach Capel is great at relating with the younger generation, but I am not convinced that that average joe sooner knows it, so I thought the article was good for that purpose.

I agree with you in that Coach Capel brings a lot more to the table that just relating to his recruits. I hope that future write-ups will reflect that.

Last edited:
I see what you are saying, but I am not sure that I have seen this article come out in one of the Oklahoma newspapers (don't quote me on that). Sure, all of us know, and have known, for a couple of years now that Coach Capel is great at relating with the younger generation, but I am not convinced that that average joe sooner knows it, so I thought the article was good for that purpose.

I agree with you in that Coach Capel brings a lot more to the table that just relating to his recruits. I hope that future right-ups will reflect that.

In about ten minutes, I have found several articles. I think the Oklahoman has done an admirable job at documenting how well liked Coach Capel is by his players and how well they get along:

April 12, 2006 - Berry Tramel mentions the upside for Capel is tremendous because he's "A 31-year-old coach who is married to a D.C. lawyer and still listens to Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg"

March 29, 2009 - "Capel's on a Magical Ride" - Tramel writes great article on Jeff Capel, highlights the fact he is "young hearted" and recants "Capel dropped under his-breath jokes that cracked up usually stoic Blake Griffin." Tramel also quotes Blake Griffin as praising Capel's "his youthfulness and the way he relates to us as players. It wasn’t long ago he was in our shoes."

January 30, 2007 - Scott Wright's column entitled "Sooners' Capel has a reputation of being strong recruiter." Wright quotes Justin Young of rivals who says this about Capel: “I think he really relates to both sides in the sense that he’s a great coach in terms of being a guy that’s gonna be a future star in the coaching ranks, then he’s a guy that gets into a home and really does a good job with kids and is able to relate with the kids and the parents on a really even plane."

October 14, 2006- Scott Wright pens "Players praise Capel's style." Michael Neal is quoted as saying that Capel "relates to us and it helps us out a lot." Godbold is quoted as saying "It’s fun with him out there. It gives us another element of coaching."

May 19, 2006 - "Committed to Capel." Brandon Chatmon interviews Blake Griffin, who talks extensively about his relationship with Jeff Capel and why he chose Oklahoma. “Coach Capel and I have a lot in common,” Griffin said. “It’s like he’s one of my teammates. If he was my age, he’d probably be one of my best friends. We share common interests and passion for basketball. His love of the game is so high, he’s just fun to be around.”

December 24, 2007 - Scott Wright's "Perfect Timing" article tells the story of Capel writing a letter to Blake Griffin. “Coach Capel has done things like that before,” Griffin said. “It just shows you the relationship he has with his players and everyone in this program.”

In about ten minutes, I have found several articles. I think the Oklahoman has done an admirable job at documenting how well liked Coach Capel is by his players and how well they get along:

April 12, 2006 - Berry Tramel mentions the upside for Capel is tremendous because he's "A 31-year-old coach who is married to a D.C. lawyer and still listens to Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg"

March 29, 2009 - "Capel's on a Magical Ride" - Tramel writes great article on Jeff Capel, highlights the fact he is "young hearted" and recants "Capel dropped under his-breath jokes that cracked up usually stoic Blake Griffin." Tramel also quotes Blake Griffin as praising Capel's "his youthfulness and the way he relates to us as players. It wasn’t long ago he was in our shoes."

January 30, 2007 - Scott Wright's column entitled "Sooners' Capel has a reputation of being strong recruiter." Wright quotes Justin Young of rivals who says this about Capel: “I think he really relates to both sides in the sense that he’s a great coach in terms of being a guy that’s gonna be a future star in the coaching ranks, then he’s a guy that gets into a home and really does a good job with kids and is able to relate with the kids and the parents on a really even plane."

October 14, 2006- Scott Wright pens "Players praise Capel's style." Michael Neal is quoted as saying that Capel "relates to us and it helps us out a lot." Godbold is quoted as saying "It’s fun with him out there. It gives us another element of coaching."

May 19, 2006 - "Committed to Capel." Brandon Chatmon interviews Blake Griffin, who talks extensively about his relationship with Jeff Capel and why he chose Oklahoma. “Coach Capel and I have a lot in common,” Griffin said. “It’s like he’s one of my teammates. If he was my age, he’d probably be one of my best friends. We share common interests and passion for basketball. His love of the game is so high, he’s just fun to be around.”

December 24, 2007 - Scott Wright's "Perfect Timing" article tells the story of Capel writing a letter to Blake Griffin. “Coach Capel has done things like that before,” Griffin said. “It just shows you the relationship he has with his players and everyone in this program.”

haha Thanks for taking the time to look those up. I guess that settles that.

haha Thanks for taking the time to look those up. I guess that settles that.

hahaha, it's the only time my ability to type really fast ever comes in handy is when I'm doing research for the message boards. LOL

Back