OU-Kansas Stats/Quotes/Highlights/Notes

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stats: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/ku19.html

Highlights: http://player.theplatform.com/ps/player/pds/KHBZMaYjPk&pid=hBb4s1CrZ_REjTu1P6C3Ij8vun07VOb9

Notes: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/012613aaa.html

Oklahoma Team Notes
Oklahoma lost for just the second time in the last eight games, falling 67-54 on the road against No. 3/2 Kansas. The win was KU's 33rd straight and 102nd in its last 103 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The nation's top field goal percentage defensive squad entering the game (opponents were shooting .348 on the year), Kansas held the Sooners to a .356 mark. OU, which was just 8-for-28 in the first half .286, entered the day leading the Big 12 (league games only) with its .459 field goal mark.

After going seven straight games without getting outrebounded, the Sooners got outboarded for the second straight contest. Kansas pulled down 41 rebounds to OU's 31. It was OU's second largest rebounding deficit of the season.

No Sooner made more than four field goals (Buddy Hield, Amath M'Baye, Romero Osby, Steven Pledger each made four). Pledger (4-for-8) was the only starter to shoot at least 50 percent from the floor.

M'Baye and Osby each scored a team-high 12 points, but did it on a combined 8-for-27 field goal shooting (.296). M'Baye was 4-for-11 and grabbed seven rebounds, while Osby was 4-for-16 and had six boards. Osby entered the day shooting .600 from the field over the 10 most recent games.

The loss was OU's 10th straight against Kansas and 12th consecutive at Allen Fieldhouse. The Sooners' last win in the building came in 1993.

OU fell to 6-4 away from home this season.

The Sooners are back on the road for a 6 p.m. Wednesday game at Baylor (ESPNU).

Senior G Steven Pledger
Pledger made two of OU's three 3-pointers and finished with 10 points, his 10th double figures game in the last 11 outings. He tied Tim Heskett for third place on OU's all-time 3-pointers list with 215 makes.

Senior F Romero Osby
Osby made his lone 3-point attempt and is now 4-for-6 from behind the arc on the year.

Senior F Andrew Fitzgerald
With his first two points of the game, senior forward Andrew Fitzgerald became the 39th member of OU's 1,000-point club. He finished the game with four points and a team-high eight rebounds (his most of the season).

Quotes: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/012613aab.html

Head Coach Lon Kruger |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Opening statement:
"It was a ballgame where we were trying to hang in there most of the way and just couldn't quite ever get to a point where we threatened seriously down the stretch. Kansas is awfully good. I thought they were great defensively. They've got a lot of guys on the perimeter who guard the ball very, very well. (Jeff) Withey does a terrific job and I thought he kind of set the tone early in the ballgame. We just never did get any flow offensively. I thought we battled pretty well defensively, but we turned the ball over and gave them some transition baskets. Still, Kansas is very good and we've got to play much better than we did today to have a chance to hang in there with them."

On Jeff Withey's impact inside:
"He's a unique player in not only our league, but (all of) college basketball in terms of the fact that you don't play against those types of players that often. He erases any mistakes on the perimeter, plus he guards his own guy inside. He not only blocks a lot of shots, but he changes a lot of shots and does that to a lot of people. He does it very well."

On his team's press defense toward the end of the game:
"(Kansas) was playing to not attack at that point, so it was a little bit of fool's gold. Yeah, we got a couple of turnovers, but they're trying to be conservative and they're trying to run some clock, so that was kind of a better opportunity for us than it might have been 10 minutes earlier in the ballgame. Still, our guys worked hard and scratched around there late and got a couple of turnovers off of it."

On how well Withey moves for a post player:
"People in the league have seen him move like that throughout his career. He does move very well, but I don't think it's a big surprise that he's capable of doing that. He does a good job of finishing opportunities, he gets them inside and he's a good low-post player."

Senior F Romero Osby |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On Jeff Withey's impact:
"He does it with everybody and he makes it very tough as we go to the basket. He has good timing. I tried to get him off the floor with pump fakes and he stays down. Like I said, he has good timing and has a knack for (blocking shots), so he just makes it tough for everybody."

On not shooting well after shooting well in warm-ups:
"(Withey) always bothers people, but I think I kind of let it get in my head that I had missed a couple of shots. I was making everything in warm-ups and I thought I was going to have a great game, but sometimes it happens like that. You just have to go back to the drawing board."

Junior F Amath M'Baye |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On Jeff Withey's impact:
"He's definitely a good shot-blocker, but (my play) is on my part. I could have done a better job just making shots, and it's the first time I've played against a 7-footer. It's the first time I've played against a shot-blocker as good as he is. I've got to take responsibility for the shots I usually make."

Head Coach Bill Self |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On today's victory:
"We did some good things defensively. They didn't make shots. We took away (Steven) Pledger for the most part except for a couple of looks he got. I think they made their third three (pointer) under the last minute. We rebounded the ball well for the most part so there were some good things that took place defensively. Offensively we were stale again. We didn't have good guard play at all today. But we hung in there and won and made some shots in the second half. It was good to see the ball go in the basket in the second half."

Re: OU-Kansas Box Score

Hornbeak is really hurting us.

Hornbeak??? the best players and seniors need to step up during big road games if you expect to win and our best player didn't.

Hornbeak??? the best players and seniors need to step up during big road games if you expect to win and our best player didn't.

Exactly. Hornbeak is the least of the worries. What the hell are you watching??

The least of our worries ? Are you guys kidding me ?

Grooms, Cousins, etc are much more troublesome than beak. Sheesh!

Glad to know you think 2 bench guys - 1 in Cousins who is our 4th G and Grooms who only gets real minutes when our offense is falling apart because we are loose with the ball and can't get set up on offense are bigger problems then our starting PG that makes multiple bad decisions a game with the ball and is giving us nothing offensively.

Glad to know you think 2 bench guys - 1 in Cousins who is our 4th G and Grooms who only gets real minutes when our offense is falling apart because we are loose with the ball and can't get set up on offense are bigger problems then our starting PG that makes multiple bad decisions a game with the ball and is giving us nothing offensively.

What is your suggestion? I like sticking with Hornbeak. He played against good athletes today and he handled it pretty well. Yes, he made a few mistakes and they led to easy transition for them. However, I thought he showed some poise out there and, frankly, I thought he handled it better than Johnson did for them. We just didn't have enough offensive fire power on the court at any position to make a strong enough challenge to them today.

We stick with Hornbeak. ZERO changes necessary. Think about it. we have come a LONG way. To really judge how far this team has come compare and contrast this game, a 13 point loss in possible the most hostile environment in the country against a potential #1 basketball team and sure fire #1 seed, to the loss to Gonzaga, a 25 point loss to a borderline top 10 team on a neutral floor. We CAN beat this team in Norman and every single game left on our schedule is winnable!

Re: OU-Kansas Stats/Highlights/Notes

Hornbeak was fine. This was the first time in several years that our team hasn't looked completely panic stricken to be playing at KU. I thought all 3 freshmen showed good poise.

Re: OU-Kansas Stats/Highlights/Notes

Hornbeak was fine. This was the first time in several years that our team hasn't looked completely panic stricken to be playing at KU. I thought all 3 freshmen showed good poise.

Totally agree. Thought the poise was good and so was the D. Just not enough O.

No way we pull Hornbeak. We need to just make a few shots next time.

Hornbeak will get better. Over time, he'll turn the ball over less and will learn to create some offense. He's got a nice shot and is capable of hitting 3s. Cousins I'm more concerned with. He has his occasional moment, but I cringe whenever he tries to shoot the ball.

This team will get better in time when better athletes come into The Program, plain and simple. I realize some of you all do not like hearing this, but it is simply the facts. Cousins is a nice athlete and when the game slows done for him and he will be very productive. Hornbeak will be fine too, same for him. The game just moves to fast for him too.

Back