OU needs to go out and get Antione Lundy and Ricardo Ratliffe

What service has the article where Ratcliffe lists OU? And what other schools have offered or are looking at him?

Please just give me a Johnny Gilbert type player. A rebounder, hustler, scrappy D guy that can hit a 12' if he really need to. One problem I'm seeing with this team is that its either a 3 attempt or its I'm going to try to get to the rim. Is there nobody on the team that can score in the 8-15' range? I've seen Tiny do it in his clips, but they just have him parked low. I'd like to see Tiny bring a guy out of the paint and let Pledge or WW take that space and go for the O board. Also, it seems when a team is getting out and pushing the tempo, one way to slow them down would be to start crashing the boards. A lot of our shots were taken early in the clock and there wasn't anybody down low to even attempt a board.

I agree with you completely, and I bet Coach Capel will get a defensive minded JUCO in this class. It would be nice to get a guy that can play the 5 so that Tiny and Fitz (after they both get into better shape) can play more of a 4.

Fitzgerald has the best midrange jumper of our bigs. Tiny is second. Crock, TMG, and Willie can all hit that midrange.

With Wright graduating that leaves OU with Gallon and Fitz in the paint for next year, I think it could do OU some good to go out and get some older guys for the paint next year. Sure, try and sign another superstar but OU could take two juco big guys for next year...

OU needs to go out this year and get Antione Lundy (Neosho Community College) and Ricardo Ratliffe (Central Florida Community College) out of juco for next year....

An article on Ratliffe (the #1 juco for 2010) says that OU is recruiting him, but I think Capel needs to put the full court press on this guy.. He averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds last year as a juco freshman.. He is being recruited by a lot of schools (obviously) but Capel should work his magic to get the best juco in the country to Norman.

Antione Lundy is a 6'8'' 230 post out of Neosho County in Kansas....Through 6 games this year he is averaging 17.2 points and 12.6 rebounds per game. He leads their league in defensive rebounding and is second in the league in offensive rebounding. He is also 10-19 from the 3pt line from the power forward spot. I have no idea if OU is recruiting him, but he is in the area and im sure the staff knows about him.

Ratliffe....maybe

Lundy.....pass

JUCOs = not how Capel wants to build his program. Like I said in another thread....name the last team that won the NC that was dependent on JUCOs. Building a team via HS recruits is the type of program Capel is trying to build, not one that is just trying to make the NCAA tourney by using JUCO stop gaps, but one that wins the thing.

I'm OK with using Jucos to fill holes. However, are Jucos OK with going to a school to fill holes? Alot of them want to come in and start and sometimes be the go to guy. You're finding alot of these guys are opting for mid majors where the can be the focal point instead of going high major where they are support. Ratcliffe is OK. It would be better if he were here to compliment a Terrence Jones and Cameron Clark through there freshman struggles and to give Fitz incentive to keep getting better.

name the last team that won the NC that was dependent on JUCOs.

Who said ANYTHING about being dependant on junior college players? We are talking about signing one or two.

What I am talking about is having a guy like Jarrid Famous (South Florida) instead of Kyle Hardrick... Darrington Hobson (New Mexico) instead of another guy. Why wouldnt a guy like Famous had come to OU? The starting forward spots were up for grabs and he would be a starter on a good OU team right now.

I listed those two guys because OU was recruiting (but did not offer) both of them.

OU used to be able to snag a player or two like the above mentioned whenever they wanted... They stopped recruiting them as the program continued to develop and higher profile high school players, and thats fine, you will get no argument from me that in order to win National Championships you need the high profile, NBA caliber high school talent. Capel is doing a good job getting interest and signing those types of guys, but top to bottom OU still doesnt recruit well enough.

I mean, OU had the best player in the country and the best freshman guard in the country but was overmatched against UNC, because top to bottom OU doesnt recruit like that.

Maybe OU can't convince the best juco talent to come in and be support, but in many cases these guys would start. Jarrid Famous would be starting at OU this year, I know that....

I am pretty sure a recruiter like Capel can sign a couple of top high school guys and then compliment them with more experienced, more ready to play juco players to fill in the other spots. Every year that is not necessary, but when you lose a bunch and are going to have a really young team it would help, and make OU better.

Thats how OU used to recruit, and it worked.... OU put the best team in the country together with Ace Mcghee, Ebi Ere, Quannas White, mixed with an All-American high scool player like Hollis.

Darrington Hobson

Butter Hobson is one of the biggest thugs in recruiting. If you knew anything about recruiting you would know that. He's nearly 25 and has been to 4 prep schools.

Butter Hobson is one of the biggest thugs in recruiting. If you knew anything about recruiting you would know that. He's nearly 25 and has been to 4 prep schools.

He is 22, and two of those years after high school were in junior college. Through four games, he has averaged 19.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, and 3.3 apg for the Lobos.

I never heard about him being a thug though... What did he do?

He is 22, and two of those years after high school were in junior college. Through four games, he has averaged 19.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, and 3.3 apg for the Lobos.

I never heard about him being a thug though... What did he do?

Butter was an OU and OSU target 6 years ago. Authority and grade issues. NO coach in the big12 wanted to touch him. He is probably at New Mexico because of their easier standards of qualifying. The same reason Pope and other big recruits went to New Mexico State.

He was just getting his drivers license 6 years ago.

LOL just because you have a juco obsession doesn't mean recruitng starts at 20. Just do a little research. Google his name and trouble.

Who said ANYTHING about being dependant on junior college players? We are talking about signing one or two.

What I am talking about is having a guy like Jarrid Famous (South Florida) instead of Kyle Hardrick... Darrington Hobson (New Mexico) instead of another guy. Why wouldnt a guy like Famous had come to OU? The starting forward spots were up for grabs and he would be a starter on a good OU team right now.

I listed those two guys because OU was recruiting (but did not offer) both of them.

OU used to be able to snag a player or two like the above mentioned whenever they wanted... They stopped recruiting them as the program continued to develop and higher profile high school players, and thats fine, you will get no argument from me that in order to win National Championships you need the high profile, NBA caliber high school talent. Capel is doing a good job getting interest and signing those types of guys, but top to bottom OU still doesnt recruit well enough.

I mean, OU had the best player in the country and the best freshman guard in the country but was overmatched against UNC, because top to bottom OU doesnt recruit like that.

Maybe OU can't convince the best juco talent to come in and be support, but in many cases these guys would start. Jarrid Famous would be starting at OU this year, I know that....

I am pretty sure a recruiter like Capel can sign a couple of top high school guys and then compliment them with more experienced, more ready to play juco players to fill in the other spots. Every year that is not necessary, but when you lose a bunch and are going to have a really young team it would help, and make OU better.

Thats how OU used to recruit, and it worked.... OU put the best team in the country together with Ace Mcghee, Ebi Ere, Quannas White, mixed with an All-American high scool player like Hollis.

UNC's roster was lined with upperclassmen who were also upper echelon recruits.

That seems to be the key now....be lucky that some of your upper level guys stay until they are upperclassmen and they are intermixed with some other "lower end" top 100 players who develop (also upper classmen) and a couple of young studs. See the last two national champs.

That is what Capel is building....and the hope is that TMG, Fitz, and Pledger is that core that I described above. If they can get Tiny to stay his junior then OU will have a good chance to win it all if Capel continues his recruiting success.

The "problem" is that OU's upper level guys have been high lottery picks (or will be in Warren's case) and they don't stick around to be upperclassmen.
And FWIW, there are quite a few teams that have had this problem, including Texas.

we didn't play with unc for the simple reason that we could not buy a 3 point shot

Back