OU-Northwestern State Box Score/Quotes/Notes/Photos [SoonerSports.com]

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stats: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/11-30-12.html

Photos: http://www.soonersports.com/view.gal?id=130577

Quotes: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/113012aaa.html

Head Coach Lon Kruger ||||||||||||||||||

Opening comment:
"Again, a game where it was a lot uphill all night long in terms of trying to get a handle on it and get ahold of it. We never really did obviously, being down there late. We had some good defensive stops right there and a couple buckets in transition which really helped us out. To get Je'lon's shot in transition, to put [Steven] Pledger at the line -- a lot of big plays there late to help us sneak out with a win."

On the slow start offensively:
"We didn't finish some opportunities perhaps. It didn't seem like early we had much attack on the offensive end. I thought we started the second half attacking and getting it downhill a little bit and getting to the free throw line, which gave us a little energy early. We are obviously searching right now to score points and we are not shooting for a very good percentage and not moving the ball very well, so we have to keep searching. It's nice to win games while we are learning and while we are searching, but we have to play better."

On playing five games in eight days:
"We played like it for sure but I don't know if it was because of fatigue. But whenever we don't play well we always have to acknowledge that Northwestern State did some nice things. They have some big athletes and they did a good job and they were physical. Not to take anything away from them, but we have to play better. We have a day off tomorrow, will get away from it a little bit and then get back in preparation for Arkansas on Tuesday."

NSU Head Coach Mike McConathy ||||||||||||||||||||||||

Opening comment:
"Congratulations to Coach Kruger on his 500th win. We just didn't make the plays we needed to during the last parts of the game. You never throw a bounce pass from the sideline; they were able to steal the ball, and were able to cut it to two."

On Northwestern State's missed 3-pointer to tie:
"We just needed a crease to where we could get a nice, clean shot off but couldn't and that's unfortunate because the kids competed so hard. But I was really proud of them because I felt like they competed. We've just got to be tougher and play smarter with the basketball. All the credit to OU; they did a fabulous job."

On the difference at the end of the game:
"We just didn't make plays. We had DeQuan Hicks in there trying to get it up and he just couldn't get the space he needed in order to get it up."

On OU's defense:
"You've got to credit OU in that they were so aggressive defensively. I've been in coaching for 30-something years so I know some coaches and they say they're as tough and they play as hard of defense as anybody they've seen in a long time -- whether it's officials saying that or whether it's coaches saying that. I honestly felt good to be right in there with them because that's the type of quality team they are."

Re: OU-Northwestern State Box Score/Quotes/Photos [SoonerSports.com]

Notes: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/113012aab.html

Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger registered his 500th career collegiate victory as the Sooners beat Northwestern State 69-65. OU improved to 6-1 on the season while the Demons, who entered the game ranked fourth nationally with their 88.2 points per game, dropped to 3-3.

The win was Oklahoma's 36th straight at home in non-conference play.

Trailing 63-57, the Sooners outscored the Demons 12-2 over the game's final 5:24. OU held NSU to 1-for-11 shooting during the stretch (the Demons scored on just one of their final 10 possessions).

Freshman Je'lon Hornbeak's 3-pointer with 2:12 remaining gave the Sooners a 64-63 lead they did not relinquish.

OU has played five games this year decided by 7 points or less and has won all five. Last year the Sooners finished 4-5 under the circumstance.

All 20 players who saw the court tonight scored (10 each team). Romero Osby was the only Sooner in double figures. He finished with 11 points and a team-high-tying 8 rebounds before fouling out with 5:35 remaining. Osby was just 1-for-8 from the field but tied career highs with 9 free throws and 12 attempts.

Guards Steven Pledger and Isaiah Cousins each contributed 9 points for OU. Pledger was 3-for-6 from the field and Cousins was 4-for-7. The point total for Cousins was the second highest of the year.

Oklahoma's bench was outscored for just the second time this season (38-25). Four of Northwestern State's top four scorers entering the night came off the bench in the contest.

OU outscored NSU 19-9 off turnovers (the Demons committed 17 miscues to the Sooners' 13). OU has outscored its opponents 120-78 off turnovers on the year despite committing only 10 fewer turnovers.

This was the third game OU won this year when shooting less than 40 percent from the field. The Sooners won three such games all of last season.

Tonight's game marked the fifth in eight days for the Sooners. The last time they played five games in an eight-game span in the regular season was 25 years ago during the 1987-88 season (Dec. 23-30).

OU plays again on Tuesday at Arkansas at 6 p.m. CT (ESPN2). It will be the sixth time in seven games the Sooners will play away from Lloyd Noble Center.

Back